how to create a simple network ? ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two PC's at my home ,one with a intel celeron processor(gigabyye motherboard) & other with intel pentium 4 processor(Mercury motherboard)
both having a physical memory of 128MB, I want to make a simple point to point network for files & resource sharing( including devices) using these two PC's.
Can anyone tell me what are the requirements & do i must need NIC card for building the N/W. what are the external accessories required?

Please Help!!!!

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
if u want to get good transfer speeds, have the option of buying a hub.
u need 2 NICs installed in each sys. use a straight through cable to connect them to the hub.key in the IP Address in the same network and subnet mask.
thats it

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
yes there are many USB solutions also.. u have to check with ur local hardware vender for which is available

shoegoe

Broken In
I think HUB is not needed necessorily(Unless u have a NIC linked modem like thouse given in our bb companies)..

If u simply want to connect the two computers in a network....

Get 2 NIC cards ,1 for each computer

Get a crossover cable connet each end to the nics

Open network connections in control panel...

rightcik the local area network icon..select properties..double click internet protocal in the check list..

Select Use folowing ip address option...

Enter 192.168.1.100 in ip address box and submask as 255.255.255.0 on first computer

Enter 192.168.1.101 in ip address box and submask as 255.255.255.0 on second computer

select ok....ok..

Now rightclick my computer icon in desktop and select properties..select computer name tag..select change..........now computer name changes window apprears... enter unique name for each computer.. enter a common WORKGROUP like mynetwok in both the computer... select ok

restart both the computers ..both will be connected...

to share a drive ..right click the drive and slect security and sharing..enable file sharing..ok

U might find this link usefull

*compnetworking.about.com/od/homenetworking/a/connecttwocomp.htm

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
what is the limit of the length of the cable that can be used if we cross crimp the cables . I have a 33 meter wire and even after repeatedly cross crimping it the computers show the cable as unplugged

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom