how to convert ntfs to fat32

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi.
pls, can anyone tell me how to convert ntfs file system to fat32. my drive d is in ntfs but some folder is not accesable coz of priviously intall windows xp on that drive .i want to convert that drive in fat32 so that i can access that data through dos and copy them to any other location.
can pls tell me the procedure by which data is not get efected of the same drive.
thnks in advans.

babumuchhala

In the zone
Which windows are u using??

If xp then go to My Computers and do the format by selecting file system as fat32.

I really donno about any other OS with which u can do this, i mean with 98/Me

Tech&ME

Banned
FAT32 is an older file system, and Microsoft wants to move people away from it. NTFS is superior to FAT32 in almost every way, and there is no compelling reason for users to use it anymore. Converting NTFS back to FAT32 should be considered a last resort in all cases and mind it its not so easy doing this.

Unfortunately, Windows XP does not have a built-in tool to convert backwards, like one can to convert from FAT/FAT32 to NTFS. U can however use third-party tools , viz, Partition Magic allows you to convert an NTFS partition back to FAT32, but often conversions simply fail, or destroy data. Backing up your data should be your first priority however you choose to convert NTFS partition back to FAT32.

I give an easy method of doing this without using Partition Magic, U can use Partition Magic to do this also : BACK-UP your DATA FIRST!!
First off, delete the partition that you wish to convert. This is done by going into Disk Management: right click "My Computer" -> Manage -> Disk Management, which is found under the Storage section. Right click the partition you wish to remove, and click "Delete Volume". This will erase the partition. Once you have done this, you must re-create the partition. This is done by right clicking on an unallocated region of a disk, and selecting "Create Partition". Then click "Create Logical Drive". Bear in mind that Windows cannot format a FAT32 partition that is larger than 32GB. This is the case because FAT32 is terribly inefficient on volumes that are larger than 32GB's, fragmentation becomes a serious problem.

To format this new volume, right click it, and choose Format. Again, if the volume you wish to format is larger than 32GB, FAT32 will not be one of the options available to you in the drop-down box. You will have to create multiple partitions if you want to format a large drive as FAT32.

ABOVE ALL PLEASE BACK-UP YOUR DATA FIRST.
:lol: :lol:

theraven

Technomancer
DARN IT
beaten to it :evil:
ok heres something to access ntfs in dos
sigh
hope these links help
*www.ntfs.com/products.htm
*www.ntfs.com/quest4.htm
*www.chami.com/tips/windows/120496W.html

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
hey ppl .. as much as i know Partition Magic can convert ntfs to fat
cant it?

-----
alibi

hitesh_hg

Journeyman
What i can gather from your post is that now you have an OS that does not support NTFS (probably Win98 or WinMe). In that case even softwares like partition magic wont help you coz partitions won't be mounted.. i didn't have much success with ntfs readers for DOS/Win98 ... anyway you can do this using Bart's win PE ...
Here the link... *www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

Hitesh Gupta

Did someone say ntfs in better than fat32.so can anyone help me to mount ntfs in fedora 3,fat can be mounted easily in linux.what about ntfs
And hey if you are ready to use partition magic,i must warned you to just back uo your data,as when i tried for partitions with norton partition magic,i loose all my data.,so do have a back up!!
so i posted a forum that to "mount ntfs in fedora"
I think here may be someone can help me !!!!

theraven

Technomancer
do u even know what u are posting?
just cuz its easier to mount fat32 in linux doesnt make it better

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7300&highlight=fat+ntfs
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6773&highlight=fat+ntfs

read the above links .. i dun wanna start another discussion on ntfs vs fat32

and yeah u can mount ntfs in linux by the ways
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12678&highlight=mount+ntfs+linux

i am also posting this in your running thread here
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13504
Search before u post

mr_logical

Broken In
reverse engineering

hi,
my system runs on WIN XP SP2, i have 80 GB HDD with FAT32 filesystem and 4 partions. I want to convert it to NTFS. How do i do it, will it do something to my data??

theraven

Technomancer
ARGGHH
im gonna grow old before my age :(
plz search before u post
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7279&highlight=convert+fat+ntfs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom