How to connect 2 systems using a hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

axil_joihn

Right off the assembly line
Hi All

i need some help, i have 2 sytems which i want to connect

one with win98,winxp ,other with winxp,media center os loaded i would like to know how to connect them using intex 8-port hub in winxp

i would reguest you to give me a step-by-steps to configure

thank you
John

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
ok so u have two pcs. first let me tell u wat all hardware u need. u need a 8 port hub, 2 ethernet cards one for each pc and patch cable (CAT5) make sure they are crimped at both ends. one end will connect to ur ethernet card and the another end to ur hub.
secondly u need a software called proxy server like <analog proxy free download available on net> instructions are given along with installation, just follow them and u r done. share net, share filez and printer.
if u find this helpful pls add to my reputaion.

OP
A

axil_joihn

hi thanks for the info.. it was usefull is there any other way to directly connect in win xp using workgroup...i have all the reguired hardware but not able to configure it ... any websites,step-by- step manual will be very helpfull

mukul

Journeyman
ya u can connect directly .... u only need network cards in both compu....
and a cross wire..... ask the vendor to give wire for connectin laptop and a desktop ...he will give it to u... join .....and then make IP's compatible and BINGO!!!!! ....its so easy it seems.....but not so...there are often troubles....i have experienced ...but off late they get resolved...

OP
A

axil_joihn

hi there i am aware of cross cable to connect 2 system without a hub....
but i need to use the hub as i might connect more systems in future ..
pls someone help me out abt how to connect 2 systems in winxp using a hub// r how to create a workgroup for which i will be very greatfull

thank u

sysfilez

Welcome To The Jungle
yes all ur machines have to be in the same workgroup (give a certain name like home, mshome, workgroup etc)after u have done all the neccessary connections open ur network connections from general>select internet protocol tcp/ip> properties> use the following ip. there u define the ip addresses. make sure u have ip address in series like for ur first pc 10.0.0.1 and second 10.0.0.2 and so on with subnet mask 255.255.255.0 same for all pcs. this will solve the problem. go for a hub connection coz it will be much more faster than cross cabling. njoy.

OP
A

axil_joihn

hi there thank u all for all your inputs it was really helpfull

i am faced with one more problem now..when setting up a small office/network wizard in winxp after asking me to install the network startup frm the win xp cd when clicking on my network places i showing blank saying that i do not have auth to view // r set up this network

workgroup choosen was MSHOME on both the systems using admin profile..
pls help me our guys:confused:

OP
A

axil_joihn

yes the firewall is disabled on both the systems but still the same message comes :confused:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom