how to check if a RAM is Genuine

Status
Not open for further replies.

harshagarwal

Journeyman
I have many post in this forum that a faulty RAM can make see nightmares during the day.

Now the big question given a RAM module in ur hand how will you come to know that it the geniune one or a fake one.
Is there any method thru which you can come to know that the given module is a original one

please help and thanx in advance

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
u could try the manufacturers site , or dealerships in india or ur city , just give them a ring and give ur part number and serial number .

if u wanna check if ur module is working well , just fun that mem86 test program

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
You can also use the latest version of cpu-z and check the spd tab for memory details. Normally a original ram will have most of the fields filled in. Posting a screenshot of my transcend module

*img143.exs.cx/img143/8519/blade9ze.jpg

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Q: Why does CPU-Z not report my memory SPD ? Does that mean that my memory module does not provide SPD information ?

A: Several reasons may cause CPU-Z not to report SPD information. The most common one is that CPU-Z was not able to get the SPD interface, because the chipset is unknown or unsupported by the program. That's why the same memory module can provide SPD information when installed in another motherboard, recognized by CPU-Z.
On a few memory modules, SPD information are not programmed at all. In this case, CPU-Z is not able to translate them, so nothing is reported.

Note for Asus mainboards users : latest Asus mainboards (K8V, A8V) include a performance mode mechanism, that allows to automatically optimize some settings in order to improve performances. When a performance mode is used, the BIOS may lock the access to SPD. In order to get SPD information, please set the performance mode to "Auto" within the BIOS.

Taken from the CPU-Z website. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom