How to browse CD/DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

hailgautam

Youngling
I have set the correct Screen Resolution, Configured Wifi and Mobile Internet. Can read/write from NTFS partitions and also vice versa from XP - read write the ETX3 partitions. Installed Beryl and running it with out crashing it at all :D. ALL With the help from this forum. :D

Only problem is now remaining - I am not able to browse any CD/DVD. However, other Linux Distribution CDs/DVDs get mounted automatically and I can browse them. It also recognizes the OpenSuse DVD (PCW) - can't browse it though. My previous attempts were all disasters with my system some problem or other...:(

My system is a Dell Inspiron 6400, it has a Philips 24x CD-RW/DVD-Rom Combo. I am on OpenSuse 10.2. Can some one give me a step by step tutorial so that I can configure to mount all types of CD/DVDs like the Mp3s and DVDs containing *.avi files and Digit Magazine CD/DVD.

Thanx a lot in Anticipation.....coz i know i will get the solution.:p

OP
hailgautam

hailgautam

Youngling
If I put a CD/DVD nothing happens, I can't see a CD or DVD - it does not get mounted - and therefore can't browse it. Some CDs get mounted and can be browsed like the Ubutntu 6.10 CD, but other CD/DVDs like those of Digit Magazine CD/DVDs are not to be seen anywhere..

Am I clear now or is there anything you want to know?

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
Digit CD\'s are designed for WINDOWS ONLY. IT SEEMS THAT YOU DO NOT READ THE LICENSE AGREEMENT WHICH APPEARS WHEN U INSERT THE CD.
If i does not mount, try mounting it in the terminal. I do not remeber the command since it has been years since i stopped using linux but i am going to start again on 17 th March 07. On that day, i am going to uninstall windows completeley. Wait for some linux guru\'s like Mehul to come.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
See if this command works
Code:
su
mkdir /media/DVD
mount -t auto /dev/hdd /media/DVD
Replace hdd with whatever is the device name of the drive. I feel the problem is that cd/dvd's are scratched hence not readable. Or else HAL should mount it automatically.

OP
hailgautam

hailgautam

Youngling
It works, but not i an not able to remove the dvd, it says "You are not privileged to eject this volume." Another question is it a permanent solution, that is would i be able to browse any dvd/cd with executing this code or will i have to do it every time...

blackpearl

The Devil
type

Code:
sudo gedit /etc/fstab

Then add these lines in the fstab file

Code:
dev/DVDrom	/media/DVD	auto	defaults	0 0

Replace DVDrom with the correct DVD drive device name

I hope I got it right. :)

praka123

left this forum longback
the device file needs to be probed and listed in /etc/fstab

Do post ur /etc/fstab entry.
the block device files for the DVD/CD drive are most prolly something like hdx,where x will be a,b,c etc..
if u have an ide hdd,then ur DVD drive will be /dev/hdb and if ur hdd is SATA,then DVD drive will be /dev/hda.inspect /dev/ directory for such a file and proceed.
You can check using below command:
Code:
~# ls -l   /dev/ |grep hd*

first make sure u have a directory as follows;or mkdir One.
Code:
~#mkdir  /media/cdrom0
nano is an easy-to-use editor from command line.edit /etc/fstab.append this entry at bottom.
Code:
~#nano -w /etc/fstab
/dev/hda        /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto     0       0
Save the file.
Now it will mount DVDs/CDs automatically.

Regarding local user not able to mount,you can make the group "cdrom",local users supplimentary or secondary group using "usermod -G" command.but as you use Suse,there must be some gui tools for GNOME or kde allowing user to do these things.some distros facilitate that if ur a member of "wheel" can execute all this.

In Linux,CD/DVDs are ejected by right clicking and selecting eject or umount option.
But In My Debian and Ubuntu,Thanks to HAL & co,by pressing the CD/DVD drive eject button also ejects the CD/DVD.suse also may have such an option

Last edited:
OP
hailgautam

hailgautam

Youngling
1. The Name of my CDRW/DVDROM combo is
Code:
dev/sr0
2. I realized that I did not have any problems with CD ROM Disks, they automatically get mount and I can eject them by pressing the eject button, and also can browse the contents. The problem is with DVDs only.

3. I already have a folder which I created on advise from T_Y_F - and I have to manually mount the DVDs to browse. But he did not tell me how to unmount it :D, so not able to eject the drive :D:D
Code:
/media/DVD <====The folder
mount -t auto /dev/sr0 /media/DVD <---------Code to Mount dvds
4. the following is the extract from /etc/fstab
Code:
/dev/sda7            /                    ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 1
/dev/sda8            /home                ext3       acl,user_xattr        1 2
/dev/sda2            /windows/C           ntfs-3g       rw,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0
/dev/sda5            /windows/D           ntfs-3g       rw,users,gid=users,umask=0002,nls=utf8 0 0
/dev/sda6            swap                 swap       defaults              0 0
proc                 /proc                proc       defaults              0 0
sysfs                /sys                 sysfs      noauto                0 0
debugfs              /sys/kernel/debug    debugfs    noauto                0 0
usbfs                /proc/bus/usb        usbfs      noauto                0 0
devpts               /dev/pts             devpts     mode=0620,gid=5       0 0
dev/sr0                 /media/DVD              auto         defaults               0 0
The last line i had inserted as advised by blackperl...

So what I do now?

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Change defaults to ro, user, auto
And to unmount use the command umount, notice the absence of n after u.

blackpearl

The Devil
Replace the term "default" in the 4th column of the last line (i.e. the DVD line) with:

If its a DVD ROM
Code:
ro,auto,user,exec

If its a DVD Writer
Code:
rw,auto,user,exec

Also the first term of the last line is "/dev/sr0" not "dev/sr0"
Notice the "/"

OP
hailgautam

hailgautam

Youngling
thanks T_Y_F and Blackpearl, praka123 it is now working all right, seems I am reping you guys a lot, so the system is not allowing me to do it again :(

Thanks again:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom