How to block unwanted elements on Think Digit Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
Well, this is tutorial is not just limited to ThinkDigit forum, it can also be applied to other forums and websites as well. The reason for the title is because this forum is favorite of many people, including me (not now, though).

Recently the forum was upgrade to the latest version of vBulletin 3.7.0. And along with that forum has got new theme as well with annoying ads in the sidebar. Everyone do not like to see their favorite site or forum in messed condition. And though if they do wish to see the forum in such condition, they never click on the ads and besides that they will be wasting their bandwidth.

So blocking the unwanted elements is the way to go. And to block the elements you may need to say good bye to your favorite web browser and switch to Firefox to say hello again to your favorite site or forum. So download and install the latest version of Firefox.

Many of you guys know how to block ads by using Add-on such as Adblock Plus, but I bet few doesn’t know that there are Add-ons which can “actually” block the HTML and other elements on the page while loading!

To do that, first install adblock all the adsense or the other ads and then you need to download and install 2 Add-ons. Only one Add-on can do the job, but I recommend another one coz… I will tell you later.

First download and install a Add-on called “Aardvark” from here. And then download and install another called “R.i.P” from here. – Short for “Remove it Permanently”
After installing DO NOT DO ANY EXPERIMENTS until you read further instruction in the tutorial.

I said one Add-on can do the job, that is R.i.P. You can use it to remove the elements by just performing right click on the element and by clicking on “Remove this Permanently”. But there are chances that you will R.i.P “Wanted Elements”, so that’s the reason why you need “Aardvark”.

Now, Follow the steps:
1 Open the index page of the forum.
2. Right click somewhere and click on “Start Aardvark”
3. Now you can just move the mouse over elements to see their name and they blink with the red border.
4. For instance in digit forum, to remove the sidebar ad (in fact the sidebar itself), the name of the element is “topPad5” and it is a table.
5. And now just move the mouse over that sidebar (topPad5).
6. Go to “RIP Advanced” and select “Remove from this website”. Do this only once.
7. And click on “Remove this Permanetly” on the previous menu. (see the screenshot below)

---------

Since all my screenshots were deleted, I had to update them, since I've no time, I am just able to update it on my blog.. Please go to by blog to read the rest of the tutorials with screenshots.. thank you

Read the rest of the tutorial......

Last edited:

PcEnthu

Linux Learner
Thanks for the well compiled guide. But we can achieve this without any addons with the inbuilt content blocking feature of Opera

nvidia

-----ATi-----
Thanks for writing the tut Gigacore:)
Btw, is there a way to change the font colour from red to something thats nice for the eyes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom