how to access data on pen drive without infection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anubhavj1

Broken In
I have a slight bit of a problem. There is this bug avpo.exe in a flash drive with me. Now I need to access the data on the pen drive. And copy it on to my hard disk. But the first time I accessed the pen drive I got the avpo.exe bug.
So is there any way i can access the pen drive's data without causing the virus infection.
I think double clicking on the pen drive's icon on My Computer would surely activate it.

But if I right click and choose Explore or I key in the Prompt of the pen drive's location in the Address bar. Would that also infect my computer?

Really need to access the data so if there is any way to do so please help without getting infected by avpo.exe.

PS: and scanning the pen drive is no use.The 1st time I did no viruses were shown but still got infected. I am using Avast Antivirus with the latest updates. Removal of avpo.exe is quite cumbersome hence I don't want to do it again.

slugger

Banned
IPS: and scanning the pen drive is no use.The 1st time I did no viruses were shown but still got infected. I am using Avast Antivirus with the latest updates.

it just means dat Avast is unable to detect it

switch over 2 AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition and scan d drive

if u not ready to replace Avast, den use either ClamWin or even an online can to detect and remove it

zyberboy

dá ûnrêäl Kiñg
or download TweakUi and der is a option to disable autorun in removable drives.
Then u can right click the drive and select "Explore" to open the pen drive,before doing that make sure autorun is off
*www.annoyances.org/exec/show/tweakui

if u can download kav 6 trial version and do a scan it will be a better option
*www.kaspersky.com/

praka123

left this forum longback
or try a linux livecd(ubuntu or knoppix) and mount ur usb(automounted);then check and delete suspicious files.
even better there is bitdefender livecd(linux based),which can scan ur system,usb drives etc :)

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
boot from any linux live discs nd then copy the contents u wanted.
There are even fully functional Windows Live discs images found on net. They are gr8 nd best for removing virus. They have more than 6 best AV preinstalled.

CINTEL ENTRINO

Loading . . . please d'nt
off topic query...
i have a sandisk cruzer drive[with U3] 2 GB pen drive.
the problem is when i try to plug it in my Philips DVD player[3166X]...
it shows "device not supported"... though my memory card reader n mp3 player work fine....

is there any way i can uninstall the U3 features so that it becomes a mass storage device ??
the main partition is formatted in FAT32 format...

slugger

Banned
U3 Launchpad Removal Tool

altho i suggest dat u first try disabling u3 functionality and c wat happens b4 completley removing it

Disable Auto-Run and Auto-Play of U3 Smart Drives Launchpad

Status
Not open for further replies.