How much can I sell my old stuff for?

lalam

In the zone
@ Sam & Ico Thank you

Sam your price suggestion was excluding the monitor and PSU no? A little confuse there.

Btw how much do you think i should quote for the monitor?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Although Athlon 64 3000+ 2 Ghz is brilliant. Unlike Pentium 4.

i was dumb enough to buy a P4 based rig (the processor costed 9.8k) some 6yrs ago when the shopkeeper asked me to buy AMD based one (sempron but Athlon 64 was available).

Sam your price suggestion was excluding the monitor and PSU no? A little confuse there.

Btw how much do you think i should quote for the monitor?

rig without monitor: 4k
monitor: 3k
PSU (if you try to sell it separately): 1-1.5k

but also depends on how old the rig is.

newway01

Journeyman
i was dumb enough to buy a P4 based rig (the processor costed 9.8k) some 6yrs ago when the shopkeeper asked me to buy AMD based one

comeon buddy. we are living in the a technology age :smile: Wasn't that a good investment 6 years ago? Those people buying a Core i7 proccy for 20k+ now have to sell it for cheap 1000 bucks when time comes..we all know that..:wink:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
comeon buddy. we are living in the a technology age :smile: Wasn't that a good investment 6 years ago? Those people buying a Core i7 proccy for 20k+ now have to sell it for cheap 1000 bucks when time comes..we all know that..:wink:
actually it wasn't. Pentium 4 is a poor processor if you ask me.

Guess what? A $1000 Pentium 4 Extreme Edition barely outperformed a $300 Athlon 64 let alone AMD Athlon 64 FX.

Also interesting thing to note would be Intel's unethical practices of giving rebates to OEMs for using Pentiums and NOT using AMD processors. They were proven guilty too. Intel also created the megahertz myth to woo more customers because a 2 Ghz Athlon 64 outperformed a 3 Ghz Pentium 4.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately, AMD couldn't keep up the good work of the Athlon 64 CPUs. We, customers, are the losers in the end. How they mess it up after so much success is something unfathomable to me. But one lesson I have learnt never believe Intel. The way they are changing chipsets & CPU sockets every year simply leaves no upgrade path open.

newway01

Journeyman
@ico, I bought a P4 system(1.8ghz) in 2004 and have used it till 2010 without any problem, until I decided to give rest for that. Then I built a basic AMD config with an Athlon 3800+ processor, but I am not satisfied with its performance compared to my old P4. Now going back to Intel Quad setup..Some people are good with AMD. and the price factor seems to play a major role in that. But for me, its Intel only and won't ever go back to AMD again :)

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ico, I bought a P4 system(1.8ghz) in 2004 and have used it till 2010 without any problem, until I decided to give rest for that. Then I built a basic AMD config with an Athlon 3800+ processor, but I am not satisfied with its performance compared to my old P4. Now going back to Intel Quad setup..Some people are good with AMD. and the price factor seems to play a major role in that. But for me, its Intel only and won't ever go back to AMD again :)
Pentium 4 1.8ghz better than Athlon 64 3800+? Has to be a joke mate.

and a ridiculous one.

AnandTech - AMD Athlon 64 3800+ and FX-53: The First 939 CPUs

Pentium < Athlon 64

Pentium D < Athlon 64 X2

Phenom < Core 2

Phenom II < Core i*

Unfortunately, AMD couldn't keep up the good work of the Athlon 64 CPUs. We, customers, are the losers in the end. How they mess it up after so much success is something unfathomable to me. But one lesson I have learnt never believe Intel. The way they are changing chipsets & CPU sockets every year simply leaves no upgrade path open.
well, LGA 775 / Core 2 era wasn't the wrong time to own an Intel chip after all as far as upgrades were concerned. :p

AMD paid unnecessary amount for ATi. That was the cause of their troubles. They also have the stigma of inferior chip maker attached. You see, despite Athlon 64 being vastly superior to Pentium, some people didn't/don't believe. Example above.

newway01

Journeyman
:grin: Yes it is. I am not talking about increased clock speeds, not even the 64 bit advantage, but the limitations of AMD config compared to intel setup.. While using the AMD system, there was numerous occasions I feel its not good for my needs and want to ditch it as early as possible :!:

Infact the new config gave me only trouble after trouble within a short period whereas P4 rig served me well for years. My bad, I sold that proccy recently..:(

From what I have seen, there were some occasions where the AMD scored for me too, like when gaming, it got some advantage over P4. But when added a GPU, that edge was gone..

video conversion? AMD gave me poor results until I add the graphics card...

One thing came to my mind.. When copying more than 2 files at a time, the speed was drastically reduced on the AMD setup, so that I need to copy only 1 file at a time to get the work done faster. whereas with P4, I get almost constant speeds when copying multiple files at a time. Remember this was with the same HDD,optical drives from my old pc. The only notable change is the addition of DDR2 ram compared to DDR1 of old setup. I take this as a disadvantage of AMD. Correct me if I'm wrong..

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
While using the AMD system, there was numerous occasions I feel its not good for my needs and want to ditch it as early as possible :!:
That's a problem with you mate.

Having owned a Pentium 4 and extensively used Athlon 64 in school in those days, I know the difference and most do too. You can refer to the Anandtech review if you want.

I guess we are going off-topic now.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, LGA 775 / Core 2 era wasn't the wrong time to own an Intel chip after all as far as upgrades were concerned. :p

Is it so? I bought mine in Feb 2009. Even with a upgrade span of 1.5-2 years, there were no new C2D, C2Q parts since last years. I am completely stuck despite having a pretty high-end mobo. Had I don't listen to the reviewers and get a original Phenom X3 with a 790gx chipset mobo, I could have easily updated to a Athlon II X4 or Phenom II X4/X6. Huge options there. Heck, my GFX card upgrade would have been completely different at that time as the mobo already comes with the most powerful IGP of its day.

I have learned my lessons the bitter way. Next upgrade will definitely be a AMD. Their Zambezis may perform 70-80% even half of Sandy Bridge, I don't care really.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
Enough off-topic chit-chat. Lets come to business: Saphhire 6950 1GB 2-3 months old in superb condition. How much can it fetch?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it so? I bought mine in Feb 2009. Even with a upgrade span of 1.5-2 years, there were no new C2D, C2Q parts since last years. I am completely stuck despite having a pretty high-end mobo. Had I don't listen to the reviewers and get a original Phenom X3 with a 790gx chipset mobo, I could have easily updated to a Athlon II X4 or Phenom II X4/X6. Huge options there. Heck, my GFX card upgrade would have been completely different at that time as the mobo already comes with the most powerful IGP of its day.

I have learned my lessons the bitter way. Next upgrade will definitely be a AMD. Their Zambezis may perform 70-80% even half of Sandy Bridge, I don't care really.
well, you see LGA775 arrived in 2006. But buying LGA 775 in 2009 was perhaps too late. Believe me, you are still good to go if you get a second hand Q9550 at the right price.

But yea, Zambezi isn't going to be 70-80% of Sandy Bridge. Expecting much much more. ;)

Enough off-topic chit-chat. Lets come to business: Saphhire 6950 1GB 2-3 months old in superb condition. How much can it fetch?
11k for a quick sale. Otherwise 12k.

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member
well, you see LGA775 arrived in 2006. But buying LGA 775 in 2009 was perhaps too late. Believe me, you are still good to go if you get a second hand Q9550 at the right price.

But yea, Zambezi isn't going to be 70-80% of Sandy Bridge. Expecting much much more. ;)

11k for a quick sale. Otherwise 12k.

Yeah, lets hope AMD does something right this time. Thanks for the price. Have to do some maths now.

scudmissile007

Confusingly Confused!
How much can I expect for my msi p45neo mobo its warranty is till august 2011 all the accessories, box & bill is available.
Transcend 3x1 gb 667 mhz ddr 2 rams working flawlessly don't have the bill.

Kniwor

Learner
I've got a Dell Adamo Oynx 13" U9400 4Gb RAM 128Gb SSD, one of the thinnest laptops in the world. Has plenty of power in it. Condition is pristine, cannot be distinguished from a new one. How much to expect.

Last edited:
Top Bottom