How is this for an upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
:banghead:

So, you're saying that if there's no real price difference, then i should go for the 4670?

In that case, should i go for an Asus z97-A board instead of the K?
Remember, i'm not going to be doing any overclocking if i can help it, i'm just selecting overclockable boards because they tend to have better quality materials and port options..

Here are the best prices i could find:

Intel 3.4 GHz LGA 1150 4670K i5 4th Generation Processor = RS 16990
Asus Z97 A = 14874
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (KHX1600C10D3B1/8G) = Rs 5016

Total = 36880

That's what I'm saying, and vedant computers is a good shop .many forum members have purchased their components from them, so you can too, and z97a is great, I didn't know you had the budget for that, if that's the case, my apologies for underestimating it and you can go with it

P. S. Did my link worked or not?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Basically, these are my concerns about the FX 8350:

1. It is an old chip.. (2011?)
yes it is. but what you have to care more is on performance not on these silly things.i would say intel sandybridge i5 2550k/i7 2770k is still a great cpu that go near 5GHZ with the help of great cooling. with haswell, you better settle at 4.4ghz stable (or even lower: depends on the chips) ;)
2. It is power hungry. (I'm not worried about my electricity bill that much, but more power means more heat, and consequently, less life, and/or problems.)

it is power hungry. but it runs cooler than intel ;)
3. I saw a lot of benchmark comparisons where the FX managed to outperform some 2nd gen core i5 processors. But intel's into it's 4th gen now, and i wonder if it can still hold it's own against the likes of the i5 4570 (~14k).
please have a look at here More on Haswell: Core i5-4670K, Core i5-4670, Core i5-4570 and Core i5-4430 Processors Review. Page 6 - X-bit labs
4. The FX 8350 seems to do well in multi threaded applications alright, but i keep seeing reviewers mention that single threaded processing is even worse than core i3 (2nd gen) processors. And even multi threaded applications tend to use 4 cores better than 8, so would i be better off with an i5? I may get slightly reduced performance while rendering, but how about better overall system performance?
single threaded performance is quite bad. single threaded apps are also rare. all apps are getting support for multithreading. it all depends on your work, if you heavily depend on rendering stuff, i would better suggest an fx 8350.
5. I haven't used an AMD CPU before, but i have had driver trouble with my ATI/AMD graphics card earlier. I don't think CPU's (or APU's) generally have driver issues, but could there be any other sort of incompatibility with software or hardware compared to intel processors?
nothing like that. dont worry.
6. You say the price of the FX 8350 is 12k, but on flipkart, i see it retailing for 14k. Could you share where you saw it going for that price?
cheapest i could find is AMD PROCESSOR FX 8350 (FX 8350 - FD8350FRHKBOX - ).
you may get better deal locally.

- - - Updated - - -

:banghead:

So, you're saying that if there's no real price difference, then i should go for the 4670?

In that case, should i go for an Asus z97-A board instead of the K?
Remember, i'm not going to be doing any overclocking if i can help it, i'm just selecting overclockable boards because they tend to have better quality materials and port options..

Here are the best prices i could find:

Intel 3.4 GHz LGA 1150 4670K i5 4th Generation Processor = RS 16990
Asus Z97 A = 14874
Kingston HyperX DDR3 8 GB (1 x 8 GB) PC RAM (KHX1600C10D3B1/8G) = Rs 5016

Total = 36880

if you are not overclocking, then what is the use of expensive 4670k? it simply behave like a 11k i5 4440 with a slightly higher clock speed.
price of the ram is great. you must not miss that ;)

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
That's what I'm saying, and vedant computers is a good shop .many forum members have purchased their components from them, so you can too, and z97a is great, I didn't know you had the budget for that, if that's the case, my apologies for underestimating it and you can go with it

P. S. Did my link worked or not?

No apology reqd! It's actually 6k over my actual budget, whereas the AMD build would sit comfortably at 30k..
And the link worked, it's just that i'm not familiar with Vedant, that's all. Do they deliver in b'lore?

Still trying to figure out if the FX8350 build would still make sense today.. I'm sure it must've been a beast of a processor in it's day, but AMD have been sitting on it for the last 4 years now.. and from what i hear, things aren't looking very good for them with their laying off a large part of their workforce and stuff.

And then there's this review from Anandtech, a source i often refer for anything techy. It doesn't look very good for the FX8350, especially since it no longer has the price advantage over the 4670k.

It felt like AMD was focussing more on the professional crowd rather than gamers with this processor, going by the way companies like Autodesk and Adobe were leaning towards multi threading.
But then again, even Sony and Microsoft are using octa core AMD Processors in the PS4 and XBox.. :confused:

Looks like i'll have to sleep on it again. Was hoping to arrive at a conclusion by today.

Well I'm agreed on everything you said, to me, I want amd to win, but it's said with this búlĺ **** architecture and there derivatives ,they simply can't, and they sort of accepted it, there's news that amd would countinue with piledriver all the way in2016,only then a new architecture zen will arrive that too in q3 2016 ,ditching the bûĺĺ **** architecture completely and CMT , I hope when you wake up things will be clear in your head
Gn

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
Ok, i've made up my mind!
Decided to go with the AMD build. Hope it's extra cores work well wtith the multi threading optimization of 3D applications, and translate to decent performance at the end of the day!

Total cost works out to Rs 32640, without the cooler. Will wait and see if i need one first.
Also, i opted for a HyperX Fury 1866 instead of the 1600. If all goes well, i might get another 8 GB stick in a month or so. 16 GB should last me a while i think.. :)

Thanks a lot for the input guys! I've been out of touch with PC internals since my previous build, back in 2007! I'll be happy if this build lasts even half as long!

Slightly OT, but can anyone help me assemble this thing? I live near Banashankari, B'lore..

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Could u possibly share the link to that? i'm trying in vain to find it..

Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The Build - YouTube

Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 3 - Installing Windows & Finishing Touches - YouTube

*m.youtube.com/watch?_e_pi_=7,PAGE_ID10,3792136343
There are new videos published by them , I think. Anyway this should do. Part 2 explains how to assemble a pc.

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 2 - The Build - YouTube

Newegg TV: How To Build a Computer - Part 3 - Installing Windows & Finishing Touches - YouTube

*m.youtube.com/watch?_e_pi_=7,PAGE_ID10,3792136343
There are new videos published by them , I think. Anyway this should do. Part 2 explains how to assemble a pc.

Thanks a lot for those.. sorry i couldn't reply sooner, got caught up with work.
Will update soon..

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
Hello all,

Just thought i'd post an update. I managed to put together my first PC build, and i'm feeling pretty pleased with myself! Thanks a lot everyone for providing me with encouragement and tips along the way.

Here are the final parts that went into the build :
*i.imgur.com/UdxyHq6.jpg

After attaching the CPU and Cooler:
*i.imgur.com/nEyktCn.jpg

Yes! It's working!
*i.imgur.com/9k1ri92.jpg

And finally, that's what it looks like right now :
*i.imgur.com/JqxytbM.jpg

I know.. i'm already working on my budget so i can get a proper cabinet which would let me have better cable management!

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the pics. Anyway, while getting a new cabinet don't forget to get some 120mm fans ;)

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
Glad you all liked the pics! Thanks again for helping me build it..

- - - Updated - - -

looks good to me, get a Deepcool Tesseract and you are good to go :D

I really like the layout of the Tesseract, but it doesn't look very impressive form the outside (personal opinion, no offence!)

I came across the Corsair Carbide Spec 01, and i like the way it looks..(kinda like a furnace, especially with the red led's..!)

*i.imgur.com/eztEWWg.jpg

But at Rs 3530, it's toeing the budget-line i drew for myself..
Also, i'm not sure if my CPU cooler would fit in comfortably in there..

I also like the 'Understated' look of the Carbide 330R Titanium, but it's over twice my budget! :(

*i.imgur.com/igIIrdV.jpg

Are there any other cool looking cabinets i could go for under 3500?

Here's what i'd like in the layout :

- ATX form factor
- Side facing HDD bays with tool-less assembly (4 should be enough)
- Cable management
- PSU at the bottom
- Dust Filters (The more the better!)

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
You may look at Thermaltake Versa H21, it's a like Deepcool Tesseract, but with a different exterior. Also SPEC 01 is good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom