shirazhansen

Broken In
How is this for an upgrade? Please refer to this attachment :

Flipkart.png

My existing config is in my signature.

Thanks in advance!

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add:

I'll be using this PC primarily for image/video editing, 3D modelling & rendering and only moderate gaming.

- - - Updated - - -

And i've already stretched my budget of 30k by 5000 here.. :|

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
I'm looking for buying advice.. Isn't this the right thread for that?

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't buy anything yet.. That's just a screenshot of my cart page so u can see the components and the prices..

eureka

Banned
This is the buying advice section for Mobile Phones mate.

And yes, from Q6600 a 4690 is a definite upgrade.

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
This is the buying advice section for Mobile Phones mate.

And yes, from Q6600 a 4690 is a definite upgrade.

Oops!
Thanks for pointing that out.. looks like i should've paid more attention before posting.
Will re-post in the proper section. Thanks for the input!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Oops!
Thanks for pointing that out.. looks like i should've paid more attention before posting.
Will re-post in the proper section. Thanks for the input!

No need. I have moved the thread to appropriate section. Ask away...

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
OP fill up the questionnaire, and also upload the pic to some pic hosting
sites like imgur, TDF attachments dont work.

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: 3D Modeling & rendering (3ds Max/Maya/ZBrush), Image Editing (Photoshop/Lightroom), Heavy Browsing, Moderate gaming. Haven't decided which games yet.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 30k. Wouldn't want to stretch it unless there are some serious performance gains.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: 7 & 8.1 Dual Boot. Most probably.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: None for this build, already have HDD.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Not right now.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Re-using my ATX Cabinet, PSU, HDD, Graphics Card

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: This week.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: I'll need to find an assembler.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Bangalore. Will most probably buy online.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: My current build's in my signature.

- - - Updated - - -

This is what i've narrowed my list down to : Image

Couple of questions though :

1) I know the Asus H97 boards are quite capable of doing the job for non-overclockers, but i read somewhere that the overall quality of the materials used on the board are better in Z97 series. I'm looking for at least 5-6 yrs of life from the mobo. Would an H97 last that long? If yes, then i wouldn't mind saving some cash and going for an H97 Plus..
2) I have a corsair tx650 psu. Would there be any compatibility issues?

- - - Updated - - -

No need. I have moved the thread to appropriate section. Ask away...

Thanks Vyom!

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
for your needs i'll suggest

FX 8350 - 12k
Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 - 8k
HyperXFury 2x4GB - 6k
CM Hyper 212X - 2.8k

overclocking will help in your requirements. More cores and faster clocks will give a good boost.

- - - Updated - - -

Also H97/Z97 and LGA 1150 will become outdated as Skylake releases.

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
for your needs i'll suggest

FX 8350 - 12k
Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0 - 8k
HyperXFury 2x4GB - 6k
CM Hyper 212X - 2.8k

overclocking will help in your requirements. More cores and faster clocks will give a good boost.

- - - Updated - - -

Also H97/Z97 and LGA 1150 will become outdated as Skylake releases.

Man, I almost wish you hadn't suggeted AMD.. I've been going over reviews of the 8350 these last 2 days, and my head hurts!

Basically, these are my concerns about the FX 8350:

1. It is an old chip.. (2011?)
2. It is power hungry. (I'm not worried about my electricity bill that much, but more power means more heat, and consequently, less life, and/or problems.)
3. I saw a lot of benchmark comparisons where the FX managed to outperform some 2nd gen core i5 processors. But intel's into it's 4th gen now, and i wonder if it can still hold it's own against the likes of the i5 4570 (~14k).
4. The FX 8350 seems to do well in multi threaded applications alright, but i keep seeing reviewers mention that single threaded processing is even worse than core i3 (2nd gen) processors. And even multi threaded applications tend to use 4 cores better than 8, so would i be better off with an i5? I may get slightly reduced performance while rendering, but how about better overall system performance?
5. I haven't used an AMD CPU before, but i have had driver trouble with my ATI/AMD graphics card earlier. I don't think CPU's (or APU's) generally have driver issues, but could there be any other sort of incompatibility with software or hardware compared to intel processors?
6. You say the price of the FX 8350 is 12k, but on flipkart, i see it retailing for 14k. Could you share where you saw it going for that price?

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
Man, I almost wish you hadn't suggeted AMD.. I've been going over reviews of the 8350 these last 2 days, and my head hurts!

2. It is power hungry. (I'm not worried about my electricity bill that much, but more power means more heat, and consequently, less life, and/or problems.)
3. I saw a lot of benchmark comparisons where the FX managed to outperform some 2nd gen core i5 processors. But intel's into it's 4th gen now, and i wonder if it can still hold it's own against the likes of the i5 4570 (~14k).
4. The FX 8350 seems to do well in multi threaded applications alright, but i keep seeing reviewers mention that single threaded processing is even worse than core i3 (2nd gen) processors. And even multi threaded applications tend to use 4 cores better than 8, so would i be better off with an i5? I may get slightly reduced performance while rendering, but how about better overall system performance?
5. I haven't used an AMD CPU before, but i have had driver trouble with my ATI/AMD graphics card earlier. I don't think CPU's (or APU's) generally have driver issues, but could there be any other sort of incompatibility with software or hardware compared to intel processors?
6. You say the price of the FX 8350 is 12k, but on flipkart, i see it retailing for 14k. Could you share where you saw it going for that price?

1. Yes indeed it is. Next batch of AMD CPUs will launch 2016 maybe idk i just heard tho. But the thing is your requirements. A FX 8350 competes with an i7 for you needs.

2. Being old yes it is power hungry. If you are concerned about heat then a cooler is already suggested (so is overclocking). There won't be any problems due to power demands . On a side note, isn't Q6600 also power hungry? But hasn't it still been running fine for you?

3. See 1.
4. The FX8350 does very well compared to i5 in multi threaded tasks and the overclock would also add a good boost to it. I can't say much about this but [MENTION=135617]rijinpk1[/MENTION] and [MENTION=140941]harshilsharma63[/MENTION] may.
5. There's no denying the fact that AMD's earlier GPU drivers were bad but the Omega drivers have fixed things up. Also there won't be software orhardware compatibility until its built specifically to run on Intel.
6. Looks like the prices have increased (again). The cheapest is on snapdeal. Also you can search using the link pc config guide for pc parts.

Ask Cilus. He is running an overclocked FX 8350 for like 2 years or maybe more.

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
1. Yes indeed it is. Next batch of AMD CPUs will launch 2016 maybe idk i just heard tho. But the thing is your requirements. A FX 8350 competes with an i7 for you needs.

2. Being old yes it is power hungry. If you are concerned about heat then a cooler is already suggested (so is overclocking). There won't be any problems due to power demands . On a side note, isn't Q6600 also power hungry? But hasn't it still been running fine for you?

3. See 1.
4. The FX8350 does very well compared to i5 in multi threaded tasks and the overclock would also add a good boost to it. I can't say much about this but @rijinpk1 and @harshilsharma63 may.
5. There's no denying the fact that AMD's earlier GPU drivers were bad but the Omega drivers have fixed things up. Also there won't be software orhardware compatibility until its built specifically to run on Intel.
6. Looks like the prices have increased (again). The cheapest is on snapdeal. Also you can search using the link pc config guide for pc parts.

"A FX 8350 competes with an i7 for you needs" : Are you referring to a 4th gen i7 or a 2nd/3rd gen?

I would like my build to last the next ~5 years. Given that the FX8350 is already a little long in the tooth, only marginally outperforms an i5 4670k in heavily multithreaded applications, and lags behind by a bigger margin in single threaded applications (At least according to benchmark tests), here's what i'd like to know:

1. How is the FX8350 in real life situations, like browsing a folder with thousands of files, or using multiple chrome instances with lots of tabs open in each, etc etc?

2. Since FX8350 needs to be overclocked for optimum performance, i'll have to invest in a CPU Cooler. The CM Hyper 212X, i read, is not going to be adequate for any overclocking above 4.5 GHz, and even that is stretching it.

But assuming i go for it, the cooler + CPU will cost me around 16k (13k +3k).
For around this price, i could get an i5 4670 4th gen. Would you still recommend the FX8350 without it's price advantage over intel? Is it really that good?

Sorry if i'm being a little anal with the queries, it's just that i haven't used an AMD build before.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
[MENTION=140941]harshilsharma63[/MENTION] please take over? I can't explain it now. Too deep for me.

[MENTION=68896]Cilus[/MENTION] could you tell us how your expirience with FX8350 has been?

@OP you are not being 'anal', its just that I'm lazy and misinformed I think..

"A FX 8350 competes with an i7 for you needs" : Are you referring to a 4th gen i7 or a 2nd/3rd gen?

I would like my build to last the next ~5 years. Given that the FX8350 is already a little long in the tooth, only marginally outperforms an i5 4670k in heavily multithreaded applications, and lags behind by a bigger margin in single threaded applications (At least according to benchmark tests), here's what i'd like to know:

1. How is the FX8350 in real life situations, like browsing a folder with thousands of files, or using multiple chrome instances with lots of tabs open in each, etc etc?

2. Since FX8350 needs to be overclocked for optimum performance, i'll have to invest in a CPU Cooler. The CM Hyper 212X, i read, is not going to be adequate for any overclocking above 4.5 GHz, and even that is stretching it.

But assuming i go for it, the cooler + CPU will cost me around 16k (13k +3k).
For around this price, i could get an i5 4670 4th gen. Would you still recommend the FX8350 without it's price advantage over intel? Is it really that good?

Sorry if i'm being a little anal with the queries, it's just that i haven't used an AMD build before.

In single threaded apps it lags behind slightly than an i5 but has a good lead in multithreaded apps. It works fine for day to day tasks. You are safe to go with it. You can get a cooler late when you require more power.

OP
shirazhansen

shirazhansen

Broken In
Ok, so i've decided to bite the bait and try an AMD build this time. Hope it won't give me too much trouble!

These are the parts i've decided on:

*i.imgur.com/loptrBx.png

Thought i'd go for the M5a99fx pro, since this mobo was apparently designed specifically for the FX8350, whereas the M5a97fx has to be updated.
And i'm thinking of getting another 8GB of RAM somewhere down the line, that's why i'm going with the single stick for now.
Also, i think i'll get for the CPU cooler later. Let me see how the rig does at stock speeds first.

Any last minute thoughts anybody? Thinking of placing the order this evening.
Do the prices seem right?

No, I think your analysis is right, an i5 4670k can be found in as low as 15.7 k, that too online, local prices maybe cheaper, if you are buying fx 8350 at "that" price (I think its overpriced as hell at 13.3k) it's better to invest in 4670k. for the same amount of money you can get Asus z97k, get a cooler later

PROCESSOR INTEL CORE I5 4670K

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom