How is MSI supporting Sempron on the 970 chipset?

vicky.new.geek

Right off the assembly line
Hello all,

I am not building a new PC, was just going through the specs of a few motherboards on MSI website and came accross:

*www.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G...l#/?div=Detail

It says that it supports Sempron CPU in AM3 / AM3+ package. Also, it says that the motherboard has AMD 970 as the socket. On the other hand, AMD on its official page: *www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...0-chipset.aspx does not mention Sempron as a support series.

They also offer a results file. (I am on Linux and the software they are providing is for Windows so I dont know how to use it). So how is MSI supporting Sempron if it is not officially supported by AMD?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ your link is showing a 404 page not found error.

anyway. all of the 970 based mobo has Am3+ socket which supports AM3 and Am3+ cpus both and cpus like sempron 140,145,180 and 190 etc. are based on socket AM3 - so they are ( including all Am3 cpus ) compatible with any and all socket Am3+ mobos.

OP
V

vicky.new.geek

Well, I knew about the sockets and that AM3 and AM3+ are intercompatible (at least by pins). The thing is - if the chipset page on AMD does not list support that processor family, then is it possible for the manufacturer like MSI to enable that?

As for the links, thanks to the stupid link parsing this forum does!
Here are the links again:
*www.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G46.html#/?div=CPUSupport
and
*www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/chipsets/9-series-integrated/Pages/amd-970-chipset.aspx

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ AM3 and AM3+ cpu and sckets are compatible with each other despite the difference in pin count.

It's possible for 3rd party manufacturers to release bios update for mobo's for which some specific cpus are not officially supported - the bios updates enable those mobos to use those specific cpus.

Now coming to your question - AM3 sempron cpus like 140/145/150 are fully compatible with 970 chipset mobos from any manufacturer though it's not mentioned on AMD's website - it's just a mistake by their end like though latest Intel cpus support more than 1333Mhz DDR3 ram modules on website max mem speed support listed as only 1333Mhz ;-)

OP
V

vicky.new.geek

Alright. Actually I visited a site, and I saw that they were allowing automated compatibility checking. Although they had less products, it was simply brilliant. On that site I tried to test the compatibility between those two things (that motherboard and some CPU) I got an error which said that socket does not support that processor series.

@topgear: What you said is exactly what I knew as per my knowledge. But when I saw the result, I thought like either the site is wrong or I dont know well enough. So I asked (and what better place to ask than Digit forum :D ). Later when I visited the site again, I thought about seeing what they are actually doing. I noticed that they are just copying data from manufacturer sites and using them to build that automated testing system. (God save them when the manufacturers get to know).

Top Bottom