How good is this system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear all, my system is undergoing serious repairs, due to which I am stuck with using the internet cafe for these small handful of posts per week. In the meanwhile, I decided to get myself a new system for lasting till may 31st(my birthday) by when I will get a better system.

Company: BigApple

Config:

Intel Celeron 300 MHz:lol:
64 mb RAM:lol:
4.2 GB HDD:lol::lol:
Intel 810 mobo:lol:
14" colour monitor:eek:
free telephone:rolleyes:
comes with keyboard, mouse.:p

cost: Rs. 3500/-:shock:, 4% vat(thats Rs. 140/-) and if ordered to home, Rs. 500/- delivary charge.(thats why I turned my head towards this piece of crap. Small price to pay for this one.)

I want to do basic tasks like playing music, surfing the net and playing small flash/arcade games.

After may 31st, I intend to make this a download box and a home server.

Please tell me some OSes that can run on this piece of plastic. I am looking at windows 98, Damn Small Linux, Xubuntu, Vector Linux, etc.

Please give me some advice here, I really need it.

*www.bigapple.in/ids.htm

it gives the offitial specs, incase mine are wrong. I saw an ad in a paper that it comes at 50% off till feb 21st.

Last edited:

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Go for Win 98 SE

That system I used before. Only difference was the Celeron was 333 MHz which I OCed to 366 :D

It is good enough for running win 98. Just dont try to install current gen Media players. Do with VLC and Winamp Old versions and you are good to go.

Also In place of IE use Browsers which are less taxing.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Gautham have a look at this thread :D

And one more thing which you can do is run it as a thinclient. As it has 10/100 port , you can install windows terminal server or linux server in a virtual machine on your PC and then connect to that virtual machine from the bigapple PC. a C2D or X2 which supports Virtualization will give bestperformance in this case.

Gautham have a look at this thread :D

And one more thing which you can do is run it as a thinclient. As it has 10/100 port , you can install windows terminal server or linux server in a virtual machine on your PC and then connect to that virtual machine from the bigapple PC. a C2D or X2 which supports Virtualization will give bestperformance in this case.
my other PC is also a no good rascal with a P4@2.66, GMA 900, no pci-e/agp slot, 256 mb ddr400 ram.

so I can forget thin clienting and virtual machines. I intend to use this baby as a home-server/low power download rig.

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^If you use your computer only for browsing and downloading then that system is good enough:D
Just get a new HDD. 4.6GB will be tooo less.... :)

ill rather tell u to go for second hand rig u cud better one in that price ;)
just suggetion
what can I get in this Rs. 3640/- budget from a second hand rig ?
Anyway, if the monitor is good enough, I may concider going for a Sempron+Mobo+7200GS combo @ 5K(But I won't buy it immidiately...)

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
This is the crappest system i have ever heard i think it can fulfill all your needs till may

This is the crappest system i have ever heard i think it can fulfill all your needs till may
actually, I managed to patch up my old system too. Its the slug mentioned before by me in this thread.

But I need this system to use as a home server too, and also as a low power download rig. It also needs to be able to run emulators of consoles like GBA, NES, etc at full speed. Asking for PS1 Emulation is too much I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom