How frequently do you discharge your laptop battery ?

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
I am a stay at home laptop user, I don't carry it around much but I generally run my laptop on battery(except when I am playing games, during which time the laptop remains plugged in)...I use the laptop battery like my mobile phone(100% charge then discharge till 10% and then recharge...repeat).

Is this a good practise ?, will it reduce the battery life(number of years the battery will be in a good condition) ?

Many people suggest to run a laptop completely off the mains if you are not carrying it around.Don't know which practise is better.

Suggestions ?

Cheers!
Abhijit

doom

Journeyman
I am a stay at home laptop user, I don't carry it around much but I generally run my laptop on battery(except when I am playing games, during which time the laptop remains plugged in)...I use the laptop battery like my mobile phone(100% charge then discharge till 10% and then recharge...repeat).

Is this a good practise ?, will it reduce the battery life(number of years the battery will be in a good condition) ?

Many people suggest to run a laptop completely off the mains if you are not carrying it around.Don't know which practise is better.

Suggestions ?

Cheers!
Abhijit

Exactly the question which I have. Will be looking forward to some advice.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
It is a good practice to discharge the battery. If you keep it at 100% charge all the time then it's life is drastically reduced. Heat also reduces battery life. It is advised that you should calibrate it at least once a month. To manually calibrate it, charge it to 100% and then discharge it to 0%.
There are software available which does the same.
Lenovo laptops have an unfair advantage here. They have a special Energy management app. This keep the charge level 50-60% and keeps on discharging and charging which keeps the battery healthy.

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
It is a good practice to discharge the battery. If you keep it at 100% charge all the time then it's life is drastically reduced. Heat also reduces battery life. It is advised that you should calibrate it at least once a month. To manually calibrate it, charge it to 100% and then discharge it to 0%.
Lenovo laptops have an unfair advantage here. They have a special Energy management app. This keep the charge level 50-60% and keeps on discharging and charging which keeps the battery healthy.

No unfair advantage. Dell and HP too have such battery management software's pre-installed(they just don't have a fancy interface that is all)

I know about the calibration thing, the question is should you use your battery all the time or always run the laptop on mains.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
No unfair advantage. Dell and HP too have such battery management software's pre-installed(they just don't have a fancy interface that is all)

I know about the calibration thing, the question is should you use your battery all the time or always run the laptop on mains.

If they did then I wouldn't be looking for a software which will keep my Dell Inspiron at 50-60% charge like Lenovo so the battery remains healthy. No software does that except Lenovo's awesome Power management. If someone finds it then share, I desperately need it for my Dell Inspiron 15.

- - - Updated - - -

Lenovo laptop=run it on mains all the time.
Other brand=discharge frequently.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Just be casual about battery usage pattern.

Keep it mostly on a/c, say 60-70% of the time. Never use either a/c or battery, prolong.

Plus don't play heavy, continuous games on battery.

Also, don't believe blindly on battery wear.

PS: no need to get overtly tense over this issue.

OP
A

AbhMkh

Ambassador of Buzz
If they did then I wouldn't be looking for a software which will keep my Dell Inspiron at 50-60% charge like Lenovo so the battery remains healthy. No software does that except Lenovo's awesome Power management. If someone finds it then share, I desperately need it for my Dell Inspiron 15.

- - - Updated - - -

Lenovo laptop=run it on mains all the time.
Other brand=discharge frequently.

*i.imgur.com/jDw0TS3.jpg

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

First part, rubbish.

Second part, true to the fact that it just increases charge cycles, thus longevity, not battery life. It just "streches" it. Also, it comes at a cost of battery backup. So no unfair advantage there. Sony also has it.

snap

Lurker
Just be casual about battery usage pattern.

Keep it mostly on a/c, say 60-70% of the time. Never use either a/c or battery, prolong.

Plus don't play heavy, continuous games on battery.

Also, don't believe blindly on battery wear.

PS: no need to get overtly tense over this issues.

this +1 : D

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
I have a 2.5 yr old laptop with still 11% wear level and a respectable 4 hrs of reading time. I follow my own scheme which involves maximum use of AC,if required,never use heavy apps on battery and calibrating battery once every 3 months.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I have a 2.5 yr old laptop with still 11% wear level and a respectable 4 hrs of reading time. I follow my own scheme which involves maximum use of AC,if required,never use heavy apps on battery and calibrating battery once every 3 months.

and my 3 year old laptop's old battery gave 10 mins of battery life. I used to plug it in 100% of the time.

- - - Updated - - -

First part, rubbish.

Second part, true to the fact that it just increases charge cycles, thus longevity, not battery life. It just "streches" it. Also, it comes at a cost of battery backup. So no unfair advantage there. Sony also has it.

Please. It's a good idea to calibrate batteries once in a while. Maybe once a month is too much but still.....

*lifehacker.com/why-calibrating-your-phone-or-laptop-battery-is-importa-1437221519

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Calibration is mostly done to correct misreadings. Anyway, my approach worked best for me, and for whom I suggested, so I said. :)

- - - Updated - - -

You got one hell of a battery.

btw does your battery really run for 4 hrs or just shows ?

ithehappy

Human Spambot
After getting mine I also read thousand articles about the same thing. And every different article told different thing! Just got confused. But if there is one constant thing there, that is discharging and charging the battery just increases the charging cycle, thus reducing it's longevity.
Anyway, I keep mine always plugged in, by always I mean always. Maybe 5/10 minutes it runs on battery every day as I take it from my study to bed at night, thus that time it can't be plugged in. And I am not finding Lenovo's Power Management software of any work. I set mine to start charging when below 30%, and stop when at 96%. God knows why, but it never does that! How do you people get it work?

mastercool8695

Cyborg Agent
i read somewhere that we shoulg never discharge LI-IOn batteries fully.
the lowest we should go is 15-20 percent.
never go below that.
any comments ?
I also heard about that when a laptop gets fully charged,
and is still plugged in, the laptop then runs using the AC power, not using the battery power. and shifts to the battery power once the AC power is removed.
what part of these do you guys believe is tru.
i have been running my laptop like keep[ it on AC untill i need to take it outside.
and i never let it go below 15 percent. (mostly i stop at 20 percent.)

cant get what battery calibration is and how to do it.
and what it does.

i too have a lenovo laptop (G510, essential)
didn't find any "fancy" power management software yet.

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
My Samsung asked me if I wanted to restrict the charging peak to 80% to increase the life of battery. And the service technician who replaced a faulty battery advised me to charge the battery completely and then run off it until it reaches around 20% and then plug it in and charge it while switched off for best life.

Some research online also advised a similar strategy of keeping the charge between 40 - 80% and to charge when powered off.

Ultimately it all comes down to your convenience. It would be rather inconvenient to follow all the advice exactly. Select based on your convenience and not battery life. Ultimately you bought a laptop for convenience! :)

Top Bottom