how do i schedule my modem,p.c for the 2.00-8.00 downloding hrs of BSNL????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tango_cash

In the zone
hi ppl
i have got a BSNL brodbnd home 500 plan with night unlimted.
i have read some guides here in the forum for scheduling the p.c for the night hours.
but i have a diffrent problem.
i have a ZTE ZXDSL 831All modem and it is pre configured with username and password i.e i simply switch it on and the internet is connected, i do not have a dialer window for username and password.
and i have heard that night unlimited billing can be counted as free only if your modem is restarted at or after 2AM OR only if you log off and log on after 2AM.
so i have to get up in night at 2.00 am start the download and set shut down in AMP WinOFF for 7.45 am.

so please help me with this modem problem.
and please tell me which torrent client should i use which supports scheduling.

shutting down is not a problem as i use AMP WinOFF to shut down my p.c

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
tango_cash said:
hi ppl
i have heard that night unlimited billing can be counted as free only if your modem is restarted at or after 2AM OR only if you log off and log on after 2AM.
so i have to get up in night at 2.00 am start the download and set shut down in AMP WinOFF for 7.45 am.

No need to restart the modem now, the NU wont be counted even if you dont reset your modem.

please tell me which torrent client should i use which supports scheduling.
I have used Azureus and uTorrent , both support scheduling. For Azureus you have to use a pluggin called "Speed Scheduler" this can be installed from Azureus itself.

Check this for utorrent Link

pankajatre

Right off the assembly line
I use Auto Power On & Shutdown for this purpose. Get it from www.lifsoft.com
It is an excellent utility for same purpose. It can start PC from hibernate condition at preset time and can also run specified program.
I use Flashget to download from rapidshare.com (I have premium a/c). I also use uTorrent for downloading via torrent. I have set my preferences to start downloading on starting up the program (for both Flashget & uTorrent).
I put links in flashget and add torrent to uTorrent and at about 11 p.m. I hibernate my PC. I have set Auto Power On & Shutdown to start PC at 2.30 a.m., to have safe margin. Do not set exactly 2 a.m. as it may inflate your bills, if counted. Auto Power On & Shutdown starts flashget at 2.35, uTorrent at 2.40 and Rapidup (for uploading to rapidshare) at 2.45 am. I manually stop all programs at 7 a.m. But you can also set to terminate programs in Auto Power On & Shutdown.

Note that Auto Power On & Shutdown can start PC from Hibernate condition only and not if it is completely shut down.

Hope this serves your purpose. I get very good results from it. I usually download 70-80 GB per month using this trick.

src2206

In the zone
This is what you need to do:

1. If you are using your BSNL modem in Bridge mode (dialing up to connect) then use a short tutorial published in Digit to connect it a predefined time. If I remember correctly you need to make a batch file.
If you have "Always On" connection or using the modem in PPPOE mode, you need to do nothing but to keep the modem turned on even if the PC is in hibernation mode.

2. Go to Start> All Programs> Accessories> System Tools> Scheduled Task. Start "New Schedule Task Wizard" and add uTorrent to be started at about 2:01 AM. Once the task is added, go to its Properties> Advanced. At the bottom of the Advanced settings window for the task you can find an option which will make windows to Wake Up the PC from Hibernation to run the task at the scheduled time. Check that box and hit "OK". Now you can simply languish in your Bed and the PC will wake up at the predefined time and run your torrent client uTorrent.

Remember to add another schedule task for the batch file for connecting to the internet according to Step 1.

3. In uToorent go to Options> Preferences> Scheduler. Check the box beside "Enable Scheduler" to turn it on. Now in the Scheduler window click the boxes to schedule your download between 2:00 AM to 8:00AM.

*img526.imageshack.us/img526/1264/schedulerpf7.th.png

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Download these softwares and do as told.

a. Auto Power On shutdown(for Hibernating,powering up the pc and running programs)
b. Reconnect(to connect after 2:00am from pc)
c. Any torrent client

Use of Auto Power On shutdown
First set ur pc for hibernation using this software at the time u like.
Then it to power on ur pc at the time u like(maybe after 2:00am).
Set it to run reconnect after sometime of powering on to connect to the internet.
Set it to run the torrent client u would like to download from.
Set it to turn off pc before 8:00am.

Using Reconnect
Run Reconnect and enter ur user name and password in the options page.Set it to automatically connect at startup.Do not let it run at windows startup.

src2206

In the zone
Autopoweron is not a freeware. If you want just to shutdown, then Reconnect can do that without any problem, and its a freeware (thanks to Harvik for mentioning it, I forgot about it).

Regarding waking up, Windows XP can do that, so there is no need to use a third party application, IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom