How Do I Go About Installing Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mediator

Technomancer
gary4gar said:
what are the advantages for a separate /boot partition over having them in main root file system

/boot
Files used by the bootstrap loader, e.g., LILO or GRUB. Kernel images are often kept here instead of in the root directory. If there are many kernel images, the directory can easily grow rather big, and it might be better to keep it in a separate filesystem. Another reason would be to make sure the kernel images are within the first 1024 cylinders of an IDE disk. This 1024 cylinder limit is no longer true in most cases. With modern BIOSes and later versions of LILO (the LInux LOader) the 1024 cylinder limit can be passed with logical block addressing (LBA). See the lilo manual page for more details.

*tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/root-fs.html

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
mediator said:
Another reason would be to make sure the kernel images are within the first 1024 cylinders of an IDE disk. This 1024 cylinder limit is no longer true in most cases. With modern BIOSes and later versions of LILO (the LInux LOader) the 1024 cylinder limit can be passed with logical block addressing (LBA).

yeah this was a problem till maybe RH linux 9.0. but now its irrelevant. however, its advantageous for hafing a separate boot partition in linux.

mediator

Technomancer
I feel its a wastage of disk space and a partition! I dont have fedora core installation cds with me anymore, but just a knoppix cd that saves a lot of headaches at times. Windows gets corrupted quite frequently and then u have to repair it or reformat its partition and reinstall it. In such cases, it may get annoying when the windows restarts itself again n again like 5 times during the installation stage itself and then wasting another few seconds on the grub screen or u have to be active around to watch it and press enter again n again to save those few seconds.

Instead, I think its better to let the whole process complete first automatically and then repair the grub. Neways my PC is dying. Windows refuses to even start up sometimes and when it starts, it restarts!! So mah family haf been using fedora only for around last 6 months and for those who have only Linux installed I guess boot partition is really not needed!!

I feel its more of ur choice to have a boot partition or not!

goobimama

 Macboy
Hey I'm having some problems with my Ubuntu installation. 7.04.

Here's the rundown:
C: Vista
D: Free Space 15GB
E: Free Space 40GB

Now I start the installation, go into "Manual" instead of "Use entire Disk".

Then I format the D drive into ext3 or something. Then refuse the Swap. It goes through the installation but gives a fatal error at the end.

Using a brand new Core 2 Duo system with P965RY board. Any guides that I should follow for this installation type?

goobimama

 Macboy
Ah. I forgot what the error was. Will do it again tomorrow and note it down. The comp I'm installing it is in the office...

At the end...of the installation progress bar (copying files, doing all that stuff)

Just wanted to know if my steps were right.

mediator

Technomancer
goobimama said:
Hey I'm having some problems with my Ubuntu installation. 7.04.

Here's the rundown:
C: Vista
D: Free Space 15GB
E: Free Space 40GB

Now I start the installation, go into "Manual" instead of "Use entire Disk".

Then I format the D drive into ext3 or something. Then refuse the Swap. It goes through the installation but gives a fatal error at the end.

Using a brand new Core 2 Duo system with P965RY board. Any guides that I should follow for this installation type?

1. End of what? Installation or some configuration?
2. What fatal error?
A little description of ur problem wud be very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom