How Do I Go About Installing Linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
i have a 40 gb hdd with two paritions and xp installed in one of them.I wish to install linux 7.04 from Digit bootable DVD on second partiton.but i don't want to lose the data on either of the partitions.how do i go about doing it??

I have no experience on even the basics of linux.so can someone plz tell me the exact steps i need to follow...

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
The best way is to make an empty partition, preferably the last one, and install Linux on it.

You need to make a free partition or some free space for Ubuntu 7.04. Move all your important stuff from D: to C: and delete D: and resize/split it as you wish (Give Linux about 10-15 GB, though the minimum's 3~ GB, you'll need the space later). Now boot from the CD and follow it .. easy from there on. :)

faraaz

Evil Genius
400 will be enuf praka?? I remember reading somewhere that rule of thumb was Swap has to be 2x your RAM size...

vish786

"The Gentleman"
that too is not required... becoz swap is hardly used nowadays. it was meant only before when memory was less.

if ur using too many multiple applications only then its used mostly.

saurabh kakkar

D i s t i n c t l y Ahead
shady_inc said:
i have a 40 gb hdd with two paritions and xp installed in one of them.I wish to install linux 7.04 from Digit bootable DVD on second partiton.but i don't want to lose the data on either of the partitions.how do i go about doing it??

I have no experience on even the basics of linux.so can someone plz tell me the exact steps i need to follow...

i think this thread will help a bit just scan through the sites :

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61019

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
faraaz said:
400 will be enuf praka?? I remember reading somewhere that rule of thumb was Swap has to be 2x your RAM size...

i use ubuntu 7.04 widout any swap! been long since i left making a swap partition in linux. when i feel the need i share windows page file file in linux as its swap file :)

praka123

left this forum longback
faraaz said:
Yes,more than enough that thumb rule was for 2.4 range of linux kernel's.I am using 256 MB RAM for now and my swap usage at anytime never crossed 150MB.:p So dont make BIG 2GB swap partitions as some suggests.

faraaz

Evil Genius
:( I already made a 2055 MB partition...but hello, that was made automatically when I decided to let Sabayon's installer do whatever it wanted with my HDD...

OP
shady_inc

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
QwertyManiac said:
The best way is to make an empty partition, preferably the last one, and install Linux on it.

You need to make a free partition or some free space for Ubuntu 7.04. Move all your important stuff from D: to C: and delete D: and resize/split it as you wish (Give Linux about 10-15 GB, though the minimum's 3~ GB, you'll need the space later). Now boot from the CD and follow it .. easy from there on. :)

i have about 10 gig free space in D: drive
so,can i install linux in this free space WITHOUT having to format or delete this partition??

Sykora

I see right through you.
By saying d: drive, I assume it's a partition you can access from windows, ie ntfs? In which case, the answer is no, you can't. You'll have to reformat the partition with a different filesystem.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yep, you need a new partition, somehow or the other. Splitting it can be dangerous, so better move the data to someplace else temporarily (Make a HDD Image perhaps) and split D: into 2 sizes, one for Windows usage as you wish and the other for Linux. Then you can move back the data onto D: and use it just as before.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
amitava82 said:
How do you share windows page file as swap? :?

offtopic: keep windows page file on a partition wid full read-write access in ur linux system. then make sure that partition is auto mounted at startup in linux (pref. a fat32 partition)

then put these commands in ur startup script:
mkswap <mount point of page file partition>/pagefile.sys
swapon <mount point of page file partition>/pagefile.sys

thats it! you are sharing ur windows page file in linux as ur swap file!: )

ontopic: instead of moving the data on ur second partition to ur active windows partition (C:), it'd be better to burn ur important data on a cd or dvd.

Last edited:

eddie

El mooooo
praka123 said:
afaik Linux swap is a seperate file format?how can
Windows would be be rewriting the pagefile.sys headers on every startup and then he is removing them at his every Linux startup using the script. So it can be done.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
eddie said:
How much RAM do you have?

me has 512mb ram and i rarely need to enable swap. everything runs jus fine!

yeah, swap doesn't need an exclusive partition. a file may also be used as swap. i've been using this thing since a long long time... and i've not been creating a separate partition. once u boot into linux, the contents of windows page file are useless. so i jus use this to share the pagefile.sys as linux swap file. its simple and works like a charm! :)

actually i dun enable it at every boot up. i jus enable the swap file as and when required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom