How a host a server on Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

chirayu garg

Journeyman
Hi guys, I want to know how I can host a server on my laptop so that other people could join me for multiplayer gaming through the LAN ports provided in our room( I study in College).

Also how to host a server so that other people coluld share their data through me by software like Direct Connect.

Please tell me everything in detail which software to use and how to protect it from any intrusions.

[A]bu

Journeyman
Yup have done it. U need a STATIC IP, a full backup laptop, database, if u want to run the game just follow up how the game connect, but if u wud like to share the data and other info within the LAN then it is more easier. Just host a website like by using a server like Apache, my-sql and more. You can get those facilities in the program like "wamp, XAMPP". you must have listened about it. I preffer wamp for begineer. Now host any thing in the "www" folder like you host in a website. Then your friends can easily open your computer with http port. Like if your computer IP is 192.168.0.1 then the http link would be *192.168.0.1 or you cna change your computer name from the properties of "My Computer" for "windows". and then keep name as "mysite(incase if the ip is not static)" and restart so that they can view your server by *mysite/ but remember to change the password of "phpMyAdmin" because that may harm your computer. That will do.

OP
C

chirayu garg

Journeyman
@ [A]BU , please tell me more about these wamp,xampp programs.
Are any of these freeware.Will MS SQL SERVER also work.

[A]bu

Journeyman
@ [A]BU , please tell me more about these wamp,xampp programs.
Are any of these freeware.Will MS SQL SERVER also work.
Yes both of them r freeware. I m currently using it. It consist of Apache for HTTP, and My-SQL for the database . it is easy to handle betwn HTTP and MY-SQL

If you come to IM then chat ud be more easy.

[A]bu

Journeyman
you can use a software APACHE, i also suggest you use a linux os for the hosting.

:?: by the way can u guys tell me which is the best free web site hosting service???
For the free webhosting i m reliable for www.000webhost.com, and the software APACHE is not just the final solution because he needs the database like MY-SQL. And if u are using WIN OS then u can use "wamp". otherwise for linux u need to install APACHE(if not) but u must install phpMyAdmin and MY-SQL for the database propose to use.

krishna@digit

Broken In
Try Hamachi (search in Google for details)
Works even if you are under a LAN and even if you don't a static ip.
The main drawback of the freeware is only 16 users can get connected at a time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom