how 2 install Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
30Gb for ubuntu+windows.Here is my suggestion p:put aside 10 gb for ubuntu(keep it unformatted so that it will be easy for you to recognize it while installing ubuntu) and you can use 20 gb for windows.Install windows first and then ubuntu(recommended).I hope you can install windows.After installing windows boot from your ubuntu live cd and start installation.Out of 10gb reserved for ubuntu make two partitions-one 500mb swap(mount it as /swap from drop down menu) and the second one (9.5gb) as just /(default).

Don't be scared of partitioning and Linux nothing can possibly go wrong but it is recommended to backup your important data.I hope you enjoy your Linux as much as I\we do.

A

almighty

Thanks the devil himself
2 days back i downloaded linuxmint 3.0 too :p
now tell me which is better to install?
Linuxmint 3.0 or Ubuntu 7.04 ;)
and one important Question , how to install s.w in ubuntu or linux mint?
i need to install nokia pc suite to connect net, but when i tried it on virtual pc. am not able to install :(
kindly guide me how to install nokia pc suite or how to config my modem for airtel GPRS

praka123

left this forum longback
Linux got its own software gnokii etc for nokia is the s/w ur looking for.windows softwares(.exes,.msi etc) are NOT for Linux.because simply Linux is not another windows,it is a UNIX-like operating system toooo different from windows.if u use ubuntu,use synaptic manager to see the available softwares.dont browse web for softwares and setup.exes for Linux.because Linux itself packs most of the basic s/ws.
apt-get or synaptic gui in menu system>admin>synaptic and press reload.while internet is on.
*linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm
^pls read this.it helps

A

almighty

thanks parka
i just installed linux mint and its running fine
i installed ubuntu first and i thot i installed correctly but during system startup dere is no choice option to select for ubuntu and xp
so i installed linuxmint and its working fine now
but have lots of queries :)
1 how to install s.w?
2 from where i can get those s.w?
3 how to config my net (airtel gprs with usb)?
4 how abt graphics card driver? how to search and install for driver of my graphics card(n-vedia mx 4000)?

plz help me out

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Go for ubuntu.I suggest you keep a dula boot system and do your normal chores in windows(like that nokia pc suite).Manual installation of s\w in linux is a bit different from WIndows so better get used to linux first.

EDIT:
1.use synaptic package manager for installing s\w.Search forum for related topic.
2.All the softwares are available free of cost from their respective distro site.Better use synaptic package manager.
3.I think there is a very datailed tut\guide on how to configure net in this forum.search dude.

praka123

left this forum longback
mint is almost ubuntu(but a lil buggyor beta?).u can use below guide or any such guides for Linux newbies.
ubuntu:
*ubuntuguide.org
ur Linux queries:
*getgnulinux.org
and also use wikipedia for generic doubts like softwares?softwares are in .deb format and the package manager is called apt and dpkg and synaptic is the GUI.
go to *ubuntu.com for user guide for new linux users.dont format and reinstall for every doubts and errors as in windows.if u understand more u'll admire what Linux is!

OP
R

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
i've recently installed ubuntu on my pc.normally i've read that it takes about a 15gb partition but after installation it has now created a 33gb partition.although i didn't configure the partition myself(i used the auto partition feature).plz help it's taking up +18gb which i want.

also i'm not getting a choice to boot frm linux or windows so i've to remove my linux drive each time to boot into windows

mods plz remove my thread frm qna and sorry for posting in chit-chat earlier my frnd also shares my account sometimes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom