Horror Movies/Series discussion

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
^Have you tried Train to Busan?
Yes, have seen it already.

It was good too.

There comes at times some movies which take a look back on the whole genre its making a movie and decides, nah, I would reimagine this genre.

"Train to busan" is good. A zombie flick that I would recommend, can't say same for others.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Check out this short film. It's based on SCP. Pretty high quality.

Not based on any particular SCP though but I am not familiar with all SCP entries. Perhaps this is something original.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Check out this short film. It's based on SCP. Pretty high quality.

Not based on any particular SCP though but I am not familiar with all SCP entries. Perhaps this is something original.
I thought you posted a trailer, and since it was in horror movies thread, I watched parts of it with low volume and expecting jump scares.
Then I thought wait a minute, a trailer isn't that long.

Should we have a short movies thread?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I thought you posted a trailer, and since it was in horror movies thread, I watched parts of it with low volume and expecting jump scares.
Then I thought wait a minute, a trailer isn't that long.

Should we have a short movies thread?
There is already one, let me see if I can find it.

I haven't posted this earlier. I discovered this only recently. I really liked it, it has horror but does not rely on jump scares. You'll like it more if you read the SCP wiki.

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

Edit: Short movies thread: Short Movies Thread

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Thanks Desmond!

Anyone here seen Marianne? It is good series considering whatever is out there for this genre. I would recommend. Its available on Netflix and is in French language.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Nope, I haven't really found any good TV series when it comes to horror. Stranger Things comes to mind but it's more slice-of-life than horror, good concept though but seriously lacking in the scare factor. Perhaps I am too desensitized to all of the horror that I have watched so far.

Gore doesn't cut it these days. Need something more

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope, I haven't really found any good TV series when it comes to horror. Stranger Things comes to mind but it's more slice-of-life than horror, good concept though but seriously lacking in the scare factor. Perhaps I am too desensitized to all of the horror that I have watched so far.

Maybe because you have played too much RE games. :)

TheSloth

The Slowest One

Try Marianne then. Also, you must watch Haunting of the Hill House. This one is really better than the rest of the horror series/movies out there from recent times.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Oh man, I got bored in the first episode itself. Does it get better?
Lol. I am now not sure if you will like Marianne as well. The story gets better in both the series but the middle 1-2 episodes are dry. Even if you feel bored first few episodes, i would suggest to keep going since both the series are small.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Oh well, let's see if I come around to it.

IMO TV/Web series don't really work very well with horror, especially if it is the same long-running narrative because you cannot show horror elements regularly and you have to pad out the whole season with non-relevant story arcs from time to time. It works well only if it's an anthology series or if it's a series with episodes dealing with different supernatural elements (like Supernatural or Constantine).

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Haunting of the Hill House is based on the book. It has only 10 episodes and there is a build up to take it to some point in the story but they have stayed relevant for the most part.
I would give a solid 7/10 since its far better than other series/movies out there in this genre.
As for Marianne, only 8 episodes, not that scary but I liked the series overall through scenery, BGM and also good acting from the lead character.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Oh man, I got bored in the first episode itself. Does it get better?
What!!!

This is by far the best horror TV show ever created.
American Horror Story - S01 comes close to this but failed to keep the pace/surprises till the end.

"Haunting of Hill House" is benchmark on how a "Horror" TV show should be made!

They are coming out with a sequel (diff. story and character though)

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Oh well, let's see if I come around to it.

IMO TV/Web series don't really work very well with horror, especially if it is the same long-running narrative because you cannot show horror elements regularly and you have to pad out the whole season with non-relevant story arcs from time to time. It works well only if it's an anthology series or if it's a series with episodes dealing with different supernatural elements (like Supernatural or Constantine).
Even I had this notion till "Haunting of Hill House" came.
American Horror Story spoilt the taste of horror TV show for me. And I kept on thinking there can never be a TV series on horror as the horror elements would die down and you would used to the shocks soon.

But, but I was proven wrong and how I loved to be proven wrong by this show!

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Makes me really think what is actually left in the future of horror. Most of the tropes have be done to death.

Top Bottom