Home Lubricant For Noisy Cabinet Fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott274

Broken In
My SMPS and motherboard CPU fans are ok but the third cabinet fan at the back (below SMPS) makes a lot of noise.

Can anybody suggest any lubricants which can be found easily in a home. My sewing machine oil just got over. But I have some parachute oil and cooking oil, will any of them do..

And if I use oil how many drops to put in the fan after removing the front fan seal and should I keep it around or immediately put the seal back on and reinstall the fan in the cabinet.

If you suggest any other home lubricant then please advice also on how to apply it.

acewin

Point Blanc
those oils work with ball bearing, not sure the idea will go with those fans. Is any part of he fan suck or touching anything to make noise that way. these fans come cheap so you can replace i also.

OP
Scott274

Scott274

Broken In
No the fan is undisturbed since when I brought the cabinet. The noise is high when I just switch on the CPU and then slowly subsides. This is with the cabinet open on one side. If I close the cabinet then more or less the noise level is more and continuous. So lubrication won't have any effect on the fan..? Mine is an 80 cms cabinet fan. By cheap how much did you mean.

acewin

Point Blanc
cannot be sure of the pricing, but if you consider 200 bucks cheap then that is the starting point. Can get in 300 bucks very very decent fans. couldnt get price 80 mm fans, got for 120 mm fans :(, these being for 120 mm ones.

check this link *www.theitwares.com/coolingdevices/coolingdevices.htm
Arctic cooling is supposed to be in 350 bucks, and arctic cooling is very good brand in cooling department IMO

wow seems good findings coming up check this *techshop.in/store/index.php?cPath=243_246

coolermaster in 250 bucks hadnt thought.

and now more bums for you *www.lynx-india.com/index.php?categoryID=159&show_all=yes

I was actually checking the links one by one.

Last edited:

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
Scott274, any cooking oil will do. Better use that parachute oil as it will be lighter than others. Process is simple. Just open the seal. Make sure the fan is kept in vertical position with the fan leaves down and the seal on the top. After opening the seal, you may find another rubber seal. Remove it with a thin screwdriver. You will find a small pit. Wipe out any remains of existing oil and dust from there with a cloth. Put 2-3 drops of oil there rotate the fan leaves so that oil sinks in. Apply more and wait till no more oil sinks in. With the cloth remove the extra oil deposited in the pit. Close the rubber seal properly and the sticker too.

I have made all my fans silent by this way. No need to buy a new fan.

acewin

Point Blanc
which fans ?? ceiling fans :D
scott you can try lucky's suggestion, if it works it will be a saving. Though I am not sure, how and why it would work. These do not have ball bearings or that sort of thing though

paroh

Padawan
Don't put any oil in it. There are some fan that are not normal . Buy a good quality fan .

Last edited:
OP
Scott274

Scott274

Broken In
I am confused.. Should oil be used as a lubricant in cabinet fans or they just don't employ any lubricants in their manufacture and are completely different sort of fans..?

Lucky_star

Still Shining!
^^Paroh, You don't know. They are not some "Special" kind of fans. If you open a fan once, you can see for yourself.
JUst follow these links. These simple oiling steps are recommended in Tecrepublic, ZDnet etc
*www.dansdata.com/fanmaint.htm
*articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5034842.html
*news.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/0,1000000091,2135514,00.htm
Any home oil which is lighter and viscous will do.

cool_techie_tvm

Ambassador of Buzz
The lubricating oil used for sewing machines can be used. Cooking oil has the tendency to get clogged up and will accelerate the death of the fan at a faster pace.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
The thing is that it is a cheap 80mm fan that he got along with the cabinet. You can get a similar new one for 30-40 rupees. (Oil will work but not for very long.)
Edit_
Anyways avoid cooking oil!

Last edited:

paroh

Padawan
^^Paroh, You don't know. They are not some "Special" kind of fans. If you open a fan once, you can see for yourself.
JUst follow these links. These simple oiling steps are recommended in Tecrepublic, ZDnet etc

I say it is Special" kind of fans because their are some fan that are sealed that cannot be removed to apply the lubricant oil. The only method to apply the oil to crush the fan.

cooldip10

In the zone
The thing is that it is a cheap 80mm fan that he got along with the cabinet. You can get a similar new one for 30-40 rupees. (Oil will work but not for very long.)
Edit_
Anyways avoid cooking oil!

For the fans, which you are talking about, I get them @ Rs 20/- not more than that at Nehru Place.

And for the noise : Take out the fan and clean it (from dust). Add some lubricating oil (not cooking oil!), by opening the fan parts(warning : do not loose the clip circle otherwise the problem will get worse ) and then fix the fan on rubber washers if possible. This may solve the problem.

OP
Scott274

Scott274

Broken In
Do I hear silence...!!

I just removed the fan attached to the cabinet with screws. Removed the front seal with a little finger nail scratching and peeling off the remaining partially. Inside was a small open hole (no cap, probably have a cheap fan called Super that came along with the cabinet through my dealer). Put three drops of oil ( no dandruff no chip chip - parachute oil :p ) in it, rotated the fan a little and then put one more drop for good luck before putting back the already sticky front seal. Reinstalled the fan in the cabinet and the PC is now running much quieter than before. :)

Thanks a lot bhai, saved me some money ;) Boliye Lucky_star baba ki... :-D

paroh

Padawan
@Scott274 I say that there are not some "Special" kind of fans i don't say all fans. Good to know that ur fan start working

Last edited:
OP
Scott274

Scott274

Broken In
Actually I just noticed that my PC starts making a slight noise after working on it for an hour or so. The oil idea did reduce the noise level by 90% or more but I know for a fact that my PC can run almost noiselessly, even into late night it would just show a very minor smooth humming noise. The rest of the two fans are allright, I am almost 100% sure of it.

Anyways I guess my cabinet fan is really slowly giving out. But I will still use it for as long as possible. The noise is not really as annoying and alarming as before now.

Thanks to everybody friends for taking your time out to help me.. ;) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom