High Ping woes

siddu101

Broken In
I have a 100mbps ACT internet connection.
Ping seems good when playing games.
After like 20 25 minutes or so into the game, frequent ping spikes.
Need to isolate if the problem is with router due to high load (suppose not as I have flawless 4k streaming ) or the laptop.
I also have usb-wifi adapter. Same issue there also. But if I tether via 3g on the phone things are fine.

Connect directly to lan. Ping is great.

***Note a point that we have 3 2.4ghz routers in the house. Could there be interference? I can get a 5ghz router(AP). (if that is the only solution).

Is there any possible fix for this. If there is interference why does it not show up during the first 20 25 minutes into the game? The router is placed like 15 feet from the pc within line of sight from pc.

ankitkmandal

Right off the assembly line
Try changing the radio channel for the wifi , move on to a higher number (One with less traffic) to avoid interference , refer to link :

Change Your Wi-Fi Router Channel to Optimize Your Wireless Signa

** This only works if your router allows you to change channels

Hrishi

Run a continuous ping test to your Router for 30mins and check for ping spikes. Do this when there are couple of devices connected to the router.
Or when your're playing any game and start noticing any lag on the connection, just run a ping test to the router and some random website such as google. Also run a Trace route couple of times when this happens ( trace route to the game server if possible along with google ).

All these details should collectively be able to help analyse where exactly the latency is getting increased when this happens. It shouldn't be the nearest router, at least I haven't seen in most cases. It is mostly packet loss/drops which causes jitters and such spikes.

- - - Updated - - -

I have had similar issues in past with my old ISP which was honestly crap af.
Per my findings, it was route flapping every once in a while in ISPs network that used to cause this, also noticed severe traffic/packet drop in the line when this used to happen. I had to change ISP because they were not able to understand the situation and take actions to resolve it.

OP
S

siddu101

Broken In
Issue is not with ISP. I get constant 100 mbps with 40 ms ping if I connect directly using the ethernet cable. And well.. it is the best isp available here. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Try changing the radio channel for the wifi , move on to a higher number (One with less traffic) to avoid interference , refer to link :

Change Your Wi-Fi Router Channel to Optimize Your Wireless Signa

** This only works if your router allows you to change channels

Tried this, Did not help. Tried channels 1, 6, 11. Other channels are known to cause interferences from 2 channels and hence are not recommended. Maybe the only option is to shift to a 5ghz router. :) with sad range. Point is even if my router is the closest to the PC and is in LOS. How, HOW can i even get such sad latency (ping spikes ), even if there are just 2more routers in the house both of which are farther than this router. Problem is not with my wifi driver as well cos i tried with a wifi usb adapter.

Top Bottom