High density ram on an old Mobo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl2024

Broken In
Hey guys, i was thinking to upgrade my memory frm 768 to 1.5 GB.
Was thinkinmg to buy a 1 GB ram and put my 256 mb aside.
My motherboard is : Asrock P4i45 and Its Intel Chipset 845GV, This released around 2002.

So, can ya guys tell me if it will work.

acewin

Point Blanc
its difficult for you to go for 1GB RAM, SD RAMs of 512MB max allowed on such old mobos, I think. so how many slots you got multipy it by 3.

you cannot put DDR RAM or DDR2 in it.
266 MHz FSB RAMs is what SD RAM come of generally.

OP
C

Carl2024

Broken In
My mobo can run DDR Ram. Both my Rams are DDR. My DDR isnt taht old that it cant run ddr ram.

High density ram and low density ram:
Code:
*www.overclock.net/faqs/113885-info-what-difference-between-low-density.html

This is the difference.

acewin

Point Blanc
good, RAM will work for sure but you need to know what FSB you have to put, do a little work, open your system, check what is the speed of the RAM(either by checking in BIOS or removing the RAM and seeing the speed written on side). how many DIMM slots your mobo has got, you still need to check these, and this can be done by you alone

Little ovverhead on this P4i45GV R3.0 and P4i45GV R5.0
so max of 333/266 FSB DDR RAMs is what you can get.

1GB stick would cost you around 1.1K

Last edited:
OP
C

Carl2024

Broken In
I have two slots of RAM.
Yea, i can get only DDR Rams but , since i discovered there are two types of ddr rams. High density and low density.
So, i am really confused if high density will work.
High density is cheap but works with 10% of motherboards and was developed in 2004, after my board developed.

acewin

Point Blanc
well how much does high density costs.
besides I do not know which RAM I bought, high or low. 1GB stick will cost you around 1-1.1K, and it is compatible for sure.

OP
C

Carl2024

Broken In
high density ones are pretty cheap but the low density ones are a but expensive.
High density ones have 4 chips on both sides and low density has 8 chips on both side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom