Hi speed USB port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
HI, I own Dell Inspiron B130, which has three USB ports. When I connect my USB pen drive to one of them the system informs the following, "the USB mass storage device is a hi-speed USB device and will function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-HI speed port". See the picture.
*picasaweb.google.com/microrao/Miscell02/photo?authkey=FzpLKoQnIiI#5205768503721321202
I can see only three USB slots but the USB root hub shows 8 ports, how come? By the way, how do I identify which among the available three is hi-speed ports?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Use Everest or Sisoft Sandra to check.
And if ur system is really old one, then u might not be havinf ny USB 2.0 compatible ones.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
HI, I own Dell Inspiron B130, which has three USB ports. When I connect my USB pen drive to one of them the system informs the following, "the USB mass storage device is a hi-speed USB device and will function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-HI speed port". See the picture.
*picasaweb.google.com/microrao/Miscell02/photo?authkey=FzpLKoQnIiI#5205768503721321202
I can see only three USB slots but the USB root hub shows 8 ports, how come? By the way, how do I identify which among the available three is hi-speed ports?
Post either a screenshot or details of USB controllers in Device Manager.

Looks like the laptop is an old one and doesn't haf USB 2.0 ports. Also, a controller can support more number of ports than the physical ones. A controller may support 8 ports (as in your case), but Dell may haf decided to physically connect only 3 ports. Thats quite possible and its a standard practice in Laptops.

If your laptop doesn't haf any USB 2.0 ports then the only thing you can do is get a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card (also called PC-Card).

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Thanks for the post, I think my laptop has USB 2.0. I quote the following, " You can identify whether your PC has Hi-Speed USB or not relatively easy. Open Device Manager and expand the Universal Serial Bus section. There should be an "Enhanced" USB host controller present."
This is the link to the screenshot of USB controllers in Device manager. *picasaweb.google.com/microrao/Miscell02/photo?authkey=FzpLKoQnIiI#5206174751792947970

How do I determine, which of the three USB ports is a high speed one, without installing additional softwares?

By the way, what is a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card, what is its use and how can I use/install it?

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
To determine which is the USB2.0 port, try plugging in a USB2.0 device (like a flash drive or external usb hdd) to all ports one by one. In one port you will not the error you mentioned in the first post. That is the USB 2.0 port.

Secondly, USB PC-Card looks something like this: *www.cablesdirect.com/prodimages/UC2-102BC_LR.jpg

It can be plugged into your laptop (if its older than an year or so). Its something like an "external-PCI slot" (in crude terms) for expansion. If your laptop is of recent times then it will haf Express card instead of PC-Card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom