Status
Not open for further replies.
I know its a silly question to ask but i wud really like to know tht wat is really this Open source programs are ??

basically the difference in open source pro. and close source or what ever !!:arrow:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
In a nutshell , Opensource programs are the application which have the sourcecode available for the world to see and you will know what actually happens inside the program. where as in Closed source programs , you dont know what goes on in there :D

ThinkFree

Technomancer
^^Open Source->Code is available for download, you can see it and can modify it as per your needs. They are free(though you may be charged for support)
Closed source/Proprietery-> Code is not shared with anyone except for the developers employed by the company developing it. You pay hefty fees for subscription

Ex. Open Source->GNU linux, open office, google chrome
Closed-> Windows, MS Office, Adobe Photoshop

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Open-Source-The source code is Open.U can modify,delete and do wantever u want recomplie and form ur own prog-Reditribute It freely.

In simple words Freedom for Geeks

Eg:Linux
==================
Closed-Source-The source code is Closed/Not Available.U can't modify,delete and do wantever u want n recomplie and form ur own prog.U need a license to Reditribute it.
U have all limitation

In other word n00bs pay for software

Eg:M$ Windows XP/VISTA,Apple OSX,etc and all Windows applications(commercial)

OP
paper_heart_21
^^Open Source->Code is available for download, you can see it and can modify it as per your needs. They are free(though you may be charged for support)
Closed source/Proprietery-> Code is not shared with anyone except for the developers employed by the company developing it. You pay hefty fees for subscription

Ex. Open Source->GNU linux, open office, google chrome
Closed-> Windows, MS Office, Adobe Photoshop

How can we modify it as per our needs !!

as i hv chrome how can i modify it !!
by using some scripts of so ??

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
du*b n00b

In other word n00bs pay for software

So how should a software company survive? donations only?

What if there is a Paid software for which there is no alternate free/Opensource application which can do the same work as the paid software does?

Let me take a example of Adobe Dreamweaver. AFAIK There is no opensource software available which can do what dreamweaver can.There are many Opensource webcontent designing softwares available but none can match the elegance of Dreamweaver. I dont intend to start a flamewar but that statement really told how well you respect others.

FYI There is commercial softwares for Linux also.
VirtualBox is free for personal and evaluation use and this should not be confused with VirtualBox OSE.One has to pay for the licence if the use is commecial.

As an enterprise customer, we encourage you to purchase commercial licenses from Sun and receive benefits such as access to enterprise features and support for mission-critical use of VirtualBox. We also encourage ISVs and IHVs to incorporate VirtualBox into their offerings, preferably through a custom license deal with Sun. Please contact Sun for additional information.
*www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Licensing_FAQ

Last edited:

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Open Source does not mean Free-Software. The free in open source is limited to freedom. Freedom of reading, modifying and reusing the code.

OSS is Open Source Software and it can be a paid product too, and under GPL you only have to ensure that, for a premium fee or some other way, a user can download the source code. And any derivative works, if released commercially, must provide atleast the open-parts (the derived parts) of it under GPL.

FOSS is Free and Open Source Software which requires you to make your product free for use and free for downloading the source too.

Its a great philosophy even for enterprises, where in they can reuse well developed open source code to suit their inter-organizational needs for almost-zero-cost.

Commercial software will always continue to exist, but with free alternatives getting better and better, they will have to elevate the focus on quality and support provided - which does lack in community-powered solutions. Its not much of a threat.

@Charan - Cool down man, many don't know what OSS really stands for. :)

hullap

Cyborg Agent
Re: du*b n00b

So how should a software company survive? donations only?

What if there is a Paid software for which there is no alternate free/Opensource application which can do the same work as the paid software does?

Let me take a example of Adobe Dreamweaver. AFAIK There is no opensource software available which can do what dreamweaver can.There are many Opensource webcontent designing softwares available but none can match the elegance of Dreamweaver. I dont intend to start a flamewar but that statement really told how well you respect others.

FYI There is commercial softwares for Linux also.
VirtualBox is free for personal and evaluation use and this should not be confused with VirtualBox OSE.One has to pay for the licence if the use is commecial.

*www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Licensing_FAQ
(trying to enter where you left off)
just my two cents
lets look at RedHat
its very comlicated IMO
they charge for the distro, BUT distribute the source code for free, and you know what, lets say i download the source code and compile it, and i use it, technically im using it for free, but if someone comes and sees me, im literally in jail. Redhat has very strict laws for copyright infringment(artwork, logos etc)

its not nessecary that every OSS is free, or free softy is OSS

Re: du*b n00b

(trying to enter where you left off)
just my two cents
lets look at RedHat
its very comlicated IMO
they charge for the distro, BUT distribute the source code for free, and you know what, lets say i download the source code and compile it, and i use it, technically im using it for free, but if someone comes and sees me, im literally in jail. Redhat has very strict laws for copyright infringment(artwork, logos etc)

its not nessecary that every OSS is free, or free softy is OSS
wrong.:rolleyes:

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
@Charan...........iam talking of reality dude.........in INDIA........even i have seen many buisness/shops use pirated softwares.............who cares....are they paying.........im not talking abt MNC...that diff case

i don want to argue...and ofcourse open source doesnt mean software for free.........

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
hullap - Lolumad? Letting alone the visual copyrights, RedHat charges for enterprise support only. The distro can be used without it as well, but you won't be able to access its well-tested repositories with lots of pre-customizations that benefit many organizations alike. No one's gonna put you in jail for using it personally. It's redistribution and/or violation of certain other licenses for commercial use that harms.

ThinkFree

Technomancer
^^Yes, but you can't redistribute RedHat's logo.
And you can use CentOS repositeries to update your RedHat EL system.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I didn't mention you can. And that is exactly the reason why CentOS is popular among many hosts and such. But if an enterprise also needs support and training, RedHat is the only good way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom