Status
Not open for further replies.

dhavalgiani

Right off the assembly line
i am having this very funny problem. most of the times, when i try booting my pc, while loading windows, the system just freezes. on trying a safe mode start, the system froze while loading a *Mup.sys* file.

also many a time, after the system boots up after somehow crossing this hurdle, the modem is not detected, i have to shut down the system, switch off the modem, switch it on, and then restart the system and pray that it gets detected.

my system config is as follows, p4 1.5 ghz, 128 mb 266 mhz ram,d-link external modem (configured as a standard modem coz the drivers provided were unsigned), 845 chipset gigabyte motherboard. dvd rom and cd writer, usb devices include a scanner and a printer. win xp home edition is the os with sp2 loaded. quick heal antivirus is installed.

can't think of anything else. somebody please help. if any other information needed, i will tell.

suhas_sm

Journeyman
Reinstall install if not fresh then atleast do In Place Upgradation...

Note:While loading thru safe mode XP stops for a while mup.sys ( i used to think it hng over there like u ) buts thats not the case ... u wait it moves ahead after a while.

busyanuj

In the zone
dhavalgiani said:
my system config is as follows, p4 1.5 ghz, 128 mb 266 mhz ram,d-link external modem (configured as a standard modem coz the drivers provided were unsigned)

You can use the unsigned drivers for D-link external modem in Windows XP.
I also use D-link external modem and those unsigned drivers work fine for me.

theraven

Technomancer
hmmm
u can try the last known good config. in the bootup options
if that doesnt work
boot up from ur winxp cd rom and goto the repair option
and type in "sfc /scannow"
without the quotes

OP
D

dhavalgiani

Right off the assembly line
i tried to boot in safe mode, and the system halted at mup.sys, even afer waiting for 30 mins nothing happened. tried to boot using last known workig config, which too did not help. the system still froze.

how wud using the unsigned drivers make a difference? as my understanding goes, it does not make a difference if i use the standard windows drivers except that i wud not get any of the extra features ( which incidentally are not much!).

another thing, my system is a branded system, when i boot from my win xp cd (hcl recovery cd), I do not get the repair option. how do i get the repair option in this version?

theraven

Technomancer
i didnt say anything abt unsigned drivers
i dunno what the problem is
ur in a fix.. thats one of the problems using branded pc's customisation is crap ( dunno why i said that )
they way i see it
1.) get a win xp cd from a friend and repair
2.) reinstall winxp
3.) this would be a perfect option if it works
get bart's PE
boot into it
and see if u can runn sfc /scannow from there
for more on bart's PE go Here

plz dont ask how u can do this without ur comp
get ga friend to do it for u

Status
Not open for further replies.