Help: XP installation issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I have a strange problem...
I upgraded my pc with a new h/w (mobo,RAM,processor retaining everything else).
Post assembling I tried to install the OS but it would not load...
I just see the msg "booting from IDE cdrom etc" and the rest is all junk on the screen and it does not proceed Whatever I do.
I tried intalling UBUNTU and it worked like breeze. So hardware problems are ruled out.

My OS is WIN-XP home and although I do not have the copy of the OS, I have the compaq-quick-restore set of CD's to install the OS.
I have done a clean install many times (and used the restore CD's) before but never faced any problem.

So, how can I install XP?

gk2k

gkbhat.blogspot.com
The restore cd from compaq is for ur old hardware.
Get a copy of the xp os and then try installing it

OP
R

Ravi Kiran Rao

Broken In
Thanks gk2k!
That was exactly what I was fearing!
Is there a way out? Any tutorials on the net that tell how-to?
I have shelled a bomb for that compaq-presario. Now I do not want to buy another copy or work with a pirated OS.

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
If u have upgraded ur hardware, then u'll need to repair or clean install ur XP. Sometimes it works without this also, but I think u'll need to do this. But its strange y r u getting error like "booting from IDE cdrom" , have u seen in BIOS that ur first boot device is HD and not cd rom? Check ur bios.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
The OS on branded computer CDs are OEM versions bound to a specific set of hardwares. A major change of hardware usually causes problems.

I'm not sure if this will work, but you could try it:
Do another clean install with the old hardware and make a ghost of your OS partition with a backup utility such as the DOS version of Norton Ghost. Then boot into DOS with your new hardware and restore the ghost file.

There are two things I can't be sure of. First is whether your old hardware will boot into DOS. If it does, there shouldn't be a problem makung the ghost file.

Second is whether the restored OS will boot with the new hardware. If it doesn't, you can try booting into Safe Mode and install your mobo drivers.

OP
R

Ravi Kiran Rao

Broken In
@saqib_khan:
I have tried a clean install too. Ie format - followed by OS install... (did not work). And yes CDROM is first boot device.

@Pimpom:
I had the working OS on a HD. I just connected the HD after assembling the PC and then tried to boot the OS normally (ie boot from HD). But I ran into PCI.sys error on a blue screen and the OS did not boot. I guess that is as good as booting from a GHOST image... am I right?

Also, what do you mean by booting into DOS? I have never done that.

One quirk of having a recovery disk is that it never prompts you for anything.
You just put in the disks sequntially and the OS is installed. No serial-key or formatting etc required.

There is something called slip-streaming can that help me.

deepakkanyal

Right off the assembly line
the restore cd contain the Hp Bios Setting which is configure for Hp Computers.
HP Computer Come with two cd. One is restore & Other is O.S.
You can install the O.S. from ur Operating System CD.
After installing it asked for activate the windows.
if u have genuine windows sticker in Ur C.P.U.
you can activate the O.S. by internet & Telephone.
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
Sorry, I write Hp instead of Compaq
But now Hp & Compaq is one.

Last edited:
OP
R

Ravi Kiran Rao

Broken In
Thanks Deepak,
I have both the CD's and I have used them before and they have worked fine for me.
Now, I have changed my Mobo-proces-etc and the CD does not work.
If you have a compaq-HP PC be advised, those recovery/quick-restore CD's are specific for a particular platform.

Digitian's is there any hope for me?
Can you suggest a way out??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom