Help with Upgrade

technique_007

Broken In
I have an old pc unused for long time ...which i intend to upgrade..Here are the current specs

intel p4 2.5 ghz
256 mb ddr ram
40 gb hdd
and model of motheboard i dont know exactly

Please guide me regarding upgrade and pricing of components

Also do I need to change my motherboard if I upgrade my proccessor and RAM ?

And please guys....dont laugh on the above specs... :-|

Cilus

laborare est orare
Your system is too old for an upgrade. So better opt for a new one. Please fill up the questions present in *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/128247-pc-build-questionnaire-template.html thread and post it here.

OP
T

technique_007

Broken In
ok then help me in any way possible.....

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A:Just regular work and mid range games

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: all ideas are welcome

3. What is your MAX budget?
A:keep it as tight as possible..if possible under 10k

4. Planning to overclock?
A:havent done before..but if it helps budget ,then YES

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: win7

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A:320gb

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A:1024*768...have 17" monitor

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A:5

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A:havent build before...but this time i am going to do it myself

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A:in a month

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:YES...dont want to redo all stuff atleast for next 2 yrs

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A:a decent graphics card

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A:delhi...no

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A:Just keep it tight ....since it will be only for general use and not hard core gaming and multimedia

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Processor-AMD Athlon II X4 640-4.7K
Motherboard-Asus M5A78L-M LX-2.7K
Ram-Gskill 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ-1.6K(Flipkart)
Sapphire HD6670-4.3K
Corsair Cx430V2-2.2K(You need better psu for long run without any problem)

Reactions: ico

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
^^ Nice suggestion. But instead of that 1600MHz ram I would suggest a simple 1333MHz one: Corsair Value RAM 4GB 1333MHz @1.2K which will save 400/- of OP's budget.

Reactions: ico

Cilus

laborare est orare
Processor-AMD Athlon II X4 640-4.7K
Motherboard-Asus M5A78L-M LX-2.7K
Ram-Gskill 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ-1.6K(Flipkart)
Sapphire HD6670-4.3K
Corsair Cx430V2-2.2K(You need better psu for long run without any problem)

Tenida, nice suggestion, Just one upgrade from my side: The board you have suggested supports only CPU upto 95W. So future upgrades with higher end Phenom II or Bulldozer processors is not possible.

So my suggestion is Asus M5A78L LE @ RS 2975 in deltapage.com. It CPU upto 125W TDP and good for future upgrades. It also has 4 Ram slots with 16 GB support, compared to two slots of the LX version.

Tenida

Gadget Freak
Thanks Cilus for the explanation.:)
@OP-For motherboard go for the suggestion given by cilus.

Cilus

laborare est orare
At your budget current gen Sandybridge processors based config is not possible and the AMD config suggested here is better than the intel config possible at your budget.

OP
T

technique_007

Broken In
i understand it would be expensive with intel....but if any of u guys can post the intel config so that i can get an idea about how much it would cost.....

maybe if the margin is tolerable..i adjust my budget

btw thanx for replies

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
Processor-AMD Athlon II X3 450 - 3.5K
Motherboard-Asus M5A78L LE - 3K
Ram - Corsair 2GB DDR3 1600MHZ- 1K (2GB is sufficient for home usage/light gaming.)
Graphic Card - Zotac GT430 3.4K
Cooler Master 350W - 1.7K

total 12,600/-

APU(CPU+GPU) - AMD A4-3400 4000/- (Has inbuilt graphic card)
Motherboard - Asus F1A55M-LX 4000/-
Ram - Corsair 2x2GB DDR3 1600MHZ- 1.5K
Cooler Master 350W - 1.7K

total - 11,200/-

OP -

Pentium G620 2.6 GHz + H61 Asus Board = 6500

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
i understand it would be expensive with intel....but if any of u guys can post the intel config so that i can get an idea about how much it would cost.....

maybe if the margin is tolerable..i adjust my budget

btw thanx for replies
i3-2100 + H61 motherboard will be: 6800 + 3600. And i3-2100 is barely faster than a 4 core AMD Athlon II/Phenom II in multithreading. Plus, AMD can be overclocked. i3-2100 can't be.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Pentium G620 2.6 GHz + H61 Asus Board = 6500

I'm dead against this config. Toms Hardware review has clearly shown that the 3 GHz+ Athlon II X3 processors are overall better performer than the Pentium G series processors and cost more than 1K less. They also offer nice overclocking potential, missing in Intel G series. G series does not even have turbo boost enabled.

ajooba215

Journeyman
AMD athlon II x3 450:- 4k
Gigabyte GA-M68MT-D3:- 2.3k
Corsair or Gskill 1333mhz ddr3 4gb:-1.1-1.3k

thas the tightest bugdet plan

OP
T

technique_007

Broken In
thanks for intel config...

btw just a general ques...
what is starting point for assembling any pc ??? is it motherboard or processor ?? i mean what is the reference point by which we check system requirments of other parts ?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
what is starting point for assembling any pc ??? is it motherboard or processor ?? i mean what is the reference point by which we check system requirments of other parts ?

first decide whats the use of the pc. then decide accordingly. if build cost crosses budget, go for next low priced processor. else if you can more, decide between a processor or GPU upgrade. or if you want futureproof & less tension, go with a PSU with better build quality + 5yr warranty.

kapilove77

Padawan
I really hating to see ppl going for intel with lowest budget. AMD is best rig you get for lowest budget i don't know when ppl realize this! cmon guyz if you don't have budget listen to experts here who give you amd as rig option for lowest budget.

OP
T

technique_007

Broken In
@sam
maybe i didnt frame my question properly.....
i was aksing which is most important part from point of upgrading ??

@kapilove77
its not that i luv intel and hate amd......its just that i am gonna spend money and need to know how both the configs compare....its not about questioning the knowledge of experts :)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
let me put it in this way.if all you do is browsing,view videos,listen songs & use softwares like office then your best option is AMD.the reason is at the same price or lower you can get a 4 core AMD processor against a 2 core intel processor.it is true that intel core i3/pentium g960 etc(2 core sandybridge)are faster in many applications but the question is is it worth extra money(i.e.from few seconds to ~ a minute).also 4 cores will always be faster than a 2 core with hyperthreading in applications like winrar,encryption software like true crypt,encoding in h264 codec etc. so more future proof.if you use these applications heavily or use softwares like 3d video rendering,animation etc then only a 4 core intel i5/i7 & not core i3 is your best choice because they are much faster than 4 core & generally even 6 core AMD processors.also for 5000 you can get an AMD board with usb 3.0,sata III & features which will cost you more in an intel board.

Last edited:
Top Bottom