Help-Using Linux on nVidia based MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
Hello everyone,
I want to use Linux on my new Asus motherboard(M2N68-AM). It has onboard nvidia7 gfx. But the max resolution supported is 800x600@60Hz in Linux. My previous motherboard Asus A7N266-VM(onboard nvidia2 gfx) was supporting higher resolutions than this.
I know Linux conflicts with nVidia chipset based MB. Can this problem be solved by downloading drivers from the software repository? Also when I loaded OpenSolaris, it fully detected onboard gfx card and supported higher resoultions. But I don't want to use OpenSolaris... Just Ubuntu!
Your help appreciated.

suzy

Working on my Thoughts
Have you installed the latest drivers?
If so, follow the below method..

In the terminal, type
sudo nvidia-settings
and navigate to 'X Server Display Configuration'.
On the right side, choose your desired resolution and 'apply' it.
Now, click on 'Save to X Configuration File'. It says that you are merging the modification with '/etc/X11/xorg.conf'. Save it.

Last edited:

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
If you don't have nvidia drivers installed, do following commands-

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new
sudo apt-get install nvidia-settings

After installing,
Code:
sudo nvidia-settings

now here, you can configure your nvidia gfx resolution.

OP
blueshift

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
Thanks all. I will check this later.
I was going to dump Ubuntu and use Mandriva2009 instead since it was easily detecting my gfx card.

krabhishek

Right off the assembly line
But I don't want to use OpenSolaris... Just Ubuntu!
Your help appreciated.

Ok, so as some guy who has contributed to opensolaris project i would love to know why you would not want to use opensolaris.. Any specific reasons?

P.S: I am probably very late in asking this question as the tread is almost an year old.. but still ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom