[HELP] Unable to connect 1 PC to another thru LAN cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

raksrules

Youngling
I have a desktop machine and a toshiba laptop. The desktop machine has Windows XP while the toshiba lappy has Vista home premium OS.
I am not able to connect the two directly using the LAN cable that i have. The desktop is saying "Connected at 100 Mbps" but the Vista machine says "Limited or No Connectivity". I dont think there is any problem with the LAN card on my laptop because i was able to use broadband connection by connecting the modem to the lappy.
How can i resolve this. I tried pinging them from one another but the request timed out always.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I think you need a cross cable. Go to the nearby computer dealer and get cross cable for LAN.

*www.duxcw.com/digest/Howto/network/cable/cable5.htm

This could solve the problem.

OP
raksrules

raksrules

Youngling
i suppose i have a cross cable. I am sure about this because before this lappy i used this windows XP m/c to connect to my old desktop machine which had a d-link lan card and win 98 OS.

jck

Journeyman
omfg noo
u dont need anything just go to tcp/ip settings and put static ip's like:
comp 1 ip: 10.1.1.2
SubnetMask:255.255.255.0
gateway 10.1.1.1
comp 2 ip 10.1.1.3
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.1.1.1

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
u neeed to install Link Layer Topology driver in XP.
*www.microsoft.com/downloads/detail...1D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en

only after installing this can u create a lan bet XP & Vista systems.

@jck dood from when did a Class A IP (10.1.1.2) start having a Class C subnet mask?

Last edited:

___Fr3ndZ___

Right off the assembly line
To connect 2 pc locally , I dont think the IP-class ranges will matter ,
just give both the same IP range As JCK Mentioned , it will work.... & same subnet and gateway....

OP
raksrules

raksrules

Youngling
u neeed to install Link Layer Topology driver in XP.
*www.microsoft.com/downloads/detail...1D-EE46-481E-BA11-37F485FA34EA&displaylang=en

only after installing this can u create a lan bet XP & Vista systems.

@jck dood from when did a Class A IP (10.1.1.2) start having a Class C subnet mask?

I am not sure about this because there is problem with vista and not xp. Vista is showing limited connectivity by XP is showing that it is connected at 100 Mbps

Edit: Today i tried and both Vista and XP were showing full connectivity but i was not able to ping one m/c from another.

dudedevil100

Right off the assembly line
this wat a right thing . do this as per said below.. ur card is not able to aquire a a ip addres under same subnet go on this procedure u will be satified
omfg noo
u dont need anything just go to tcp/ip settings and put static ip's like:
comp 1 ip: 10.1.1.2
SubnetMask:255.255.255.0
gateway 10.1.1.1
comp 2 ip 10.1.1.3
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.1.1.1

OP
raksrules

raksrules

Youngling
^^yes i will try this

But one more thing, after booting into XP on my laptop (it is set in dual mode XP and vista) and setting a static ip for both machines manually i was able to connect both of them

Now its time for Counter Strike over LAN :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom