Help! Setting A HDD & DVD-RW Drive in the same channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Hi !

I have a situations here...

I have a old 80 GB parallel HDD (PATA) which I use as external USB storage by putting it to a 3.5" IDE-USB Hard Disk casing for more than 2 years,now the casing power source develop some problem and the HDD generates some issues & it need to format which via USB is not possible,It need to connect motherboard's direct IDE channel.

My mobo is Intel's 945 GTP which have only one Primary IDE port...

Here is my Cngifg

Intel P4
945 GTP
512x2=1GB 533Mhz Ram
1.44" FDD
160 GB SATA <----OS Bootable
Sony DRU-810A <---- Primary One as Master Settings

So here are my question:-

1 .If I connect it as a master by removing the DVD-RW (for a while)...will SATA HDD which contain OS can boot ? (and So I can format/partition the PATA drive)

2. As I don't want to purchase another casing or use the faulty existing casing, I want to permanently keep the drive inside the cabinet..So In this case what is the Jumper PIN settings between the PATA HDD & DVD-RW ?

As much as I know, HDD is master & DVD-RW is slave....

3. In that case, is that DVD-RW drive will be bootable to read/load OS disc ?

In any situations my intention to use the 80GB PATA as a extra storage & 160GB SATA as main/basic Hard Drive.

Please experts/geeks help me to set this.
Thanks in advance.

Sooraj_digit

BLah.. Blah..blah.......
Answer to your questions are:

1. Yes you can do it
2. You just answered your question, see the jumper settings on the top side of hard-drive it is always there.
3. Yes it would be bootable and work fine.

TADA…..

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
i think you might have to set the boot device priority in the BIOS if im not wrong...set the sata hdd above the pata hdd

OP
dissel

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Thanks for replying early....Thank both of you .

I will try it later this week....If anything goes wrong I will post back here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom