Help:Seagate 500GB 32MB HDD Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

tkin

Back to school!!
I need urgent help, my 1.5 month old 500GB Seagate 32MB Buffer HDD just died on me.

Last night the drive became slow, took 15mins to copy 5GB data, after I rebooted my system the drive is no longer recognized by the bios, it still spins up and HDD lead kept blinking.

The same thing happened to me 3yrs back with a 160GB Seagate HDD that died after 2 months, got it replaced and its running fine till today.

So, should I RMA the drive and keep using it or switch to Western Digital?

-----------------------Thanks in advance.

acewin

Point Blanc
well it would be under warranty 7200.11 series is new and he already said it is 1.5 months old.

Why are you hasseled tkin, give it for replacement.

the HDD is good, so I do not think you should give much thought not necessity to switch to WD, get it replaced,

Last edited:
OP
tkin

tkin

Back to school!!
well it would be under warranty 7200.11 series is new and he already said it is 1.5 months old.

Why are you hasseled tkin, give it for replacement.

the HDD is good, so I do not think you should give much thought not necessity to switch to WD, get it replaced,

Seagate is good. I am using the same drive as yours :). Send it for RMA.

Thanks for the support, think Seagate deserves another chance, I still trust them because my older replaced drive(250GB) still running fine even after all the tortures I inflicted on it. 7200.11 is the latest model, may be it needs some improvements(firmware upgrades).

Some websites wrote that a firmware module might have become corrupt due to another faulty firmware module controlling the head, the issue is resolved in later models and Seagate will get me a new one with updated firmware. Hope this one lasts longer:D:D.

P.S-Don't worry Psychosocial, the issue affects only about 1% of the drives sold, may be you'll get lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom