Help required in finalizing my Dell Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
thelordrrulzzz

thelordrrulzzz

The Burning Curse
^thanks

Can anyone suggest me which would be the best and VFM ADSL Modem for my laptop??
I am thinking of buying DLink's GLB-502T. Are there any better options available in the modem segment? I mean some other good models in Netgear or LinkSys.
I am opting for a wired modem only coz i can't invest in a wireless modem right now.

Secondly you require a cable to connect the laptop to a desktop machine..what is it called and how much does it cost?

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
You will need a wifi router to use the laptop wirelessly. There are 2 types of routers- standalone routers which will require to connect the modem to the router via rj45 if its a dsl connection but its direct rj45 internet access you can use the standalone router. You do have modem routers which are used to adsl ones, but I am not sure if you get them in India and if you do- what are the models. But in this day of age you do eventually get the product what you are looking for in India.
As for HP, every now and then Microsoft applies a funda called to reduce disks being given away. Dell u.s. had this between 2006-2007. Most probably the entire OS installation disk image is somewhere on the drive since Dell U.S. did the same thing for their inspiron and latitude lineups.

acewin

Point Blanc
there was a BSNL mela a week back you could ahve got router cum ADSL model which BSNL gives generally in low price, it is a good router.
DLink's GLB-502T(priced upto 2-2.5K) and routers upto this level are just enough for normal usage, giving a radius of 10-20 meters, have lesser rate of data transfer for LAN, higher routers which almost price 3.5-5K give better wireless LAN.

I do not think building a string wireless LAN is your requirement, but for net, as Sorcerer said, keep a check of models which act both as router+adsl model if you do not have adsl modem otherwise just a simple router will be good.

OP
thelordrrulzzz

thelordrrulzzz

The Burning Curse
hello digitians,
I have finally received my Dell Inspiron 15 laptop way back on Monday i.e. 23 March '09 but i haven't yet unpacked it. I had a very hectic week so didn't quite get the time. Yesterday i have just purchased a Belkin's wifi ADSL/2 Modem+Router
Coming back to my queries -
I intend to keep a dual boot on my laptop. One the default Vista Home Basic and the second Windows XP professional. I have found many tutorials on the net which state re-allocating the partition space of Vista and then installing XP on the same partition. Even Digit's october issue mentions a similar approach.
One of the tutorials can be found here.
Now my question is if i can create more partitions (read separate partition) then is the procedure similar of installing XP over Vista with Vista installed first??
P.S.- I want to install XP later because in case for servicing if i have to send the laptop then i can just format the XP partition.

Secondly can anyone of u help me in understanding how to set-up a password protected secure wifi network in my house.

Some help here would really be great.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom