Help Please Solve my Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramu

Banned
Help !

I need to connect 3 computers to each other in my house to play games, which is the cheapest way of doing it

I have Nic 10/100 LAN cards, Do i need to by any other hardware if so how much will it cost.

Also please tell me which modem should i buy in order to use BSNL's broadband plz specify brand and price is any

BTW has anyone heard of "Perx Cabinets" I am getting a Perx cabinet(SMPS 400watts) for rs 1100/- is it worth the money

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
The cheapest way is to buy another nic card (assuming you have only 3 nic cards). Next put two cards in one PC connect the other two PC to the one with two cards using cross over cable thats it you have a three PC connect.

digen

Youngling
pradeep_chauhan said:
The cheapest way is to buy another nic card (assuming you have only 3 nic cards). Next put two cards in one PC connect the other two PC to the one with two cards using cross over cable thats it you have a three PC connect.
Can this be done? :shock:
Dude get a hub.It would cost you somewhere around 500-600 bucks depending upon the make.Install a NIC card under each pc & connect all computers to the hub.Setup & configure the network & your done.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
kurious : is it possible to connect all 3 via usb ??? . is it faster than ethernet in anyway ?

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
I think it can be done using usb but the cost of the usb cross network cable is a point to be seen. The max tr speed of a usb 2 connection is 480MBps where as Ethernet has reached the Giga Byte(1000 MBps) range so i dont think that usb is faster than Ethernet

digen

Youngling
pradeep_chauhan said:
Obviously it can be done. Thats why its suggested no need to buy a hub.

Can you elaborate or claim whatever you have posted so far?
I would love to hear it from ya. :roll:

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
sure i have three pc at home (AMD 2400,P3 and P4 2.4HT) and i use the same setup for sharing inet connection, and sharing resources. I am not too much in to games thus the only have played quake 3 with my wife and child ( they are not a good sport and give up easily so not much gamming done)

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
not sure if anyone actually reads/follows contract agreements , but doesnt dataone state , u have to pay extra if ur connecting more than one pc to ur dataone connection . i think its lousy , but i think i read it in their brochure . anyway , try to show that ur using it on only one pc , next time the tech from dataone come on a visit , else the might just demand more ;)

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
ya thnx for post..... new information learnt.....

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent

Technically yes, the three PCs are connected, but you gotta figure out what happens when you want to game with just two PCs. You gotta switch the third one with the 2 NICs on unnecessarily. Or what would happen if the PC is under a heavy load or if the OS crashes. Pick your scenario. It would be better not to play Scrooge McDuck and get a cheap hub as Digen suggested. They're going at throwaway prices these days.

ctrl_alt_del

A Year Closer To Heaven
Are the hubs really so cheap? What will an entire setup of the total cable ( assuming all computers are placed in a single room ), crimping tool, hubs and any other additional tool will cost?

theraven

Technomancer
lol crimping tools themselves can be more costlier than hubs :p
ofcourse u get ones for ard 200 bucks as well

after that is just ur cheap hub 600-700 bucks

and good quality wire .. i dun know the cost
and the rj45 jacks ofcourse which will be a couple of bucks

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
@cody: Your total cost including the hub, the cabling (allowing room for expansion), the crimps minus the NICs will be around or less than 1k if you're using Cat5. Just borrow the crimping tool from your network-wallah, the one you get your connection from. Heck, if you dont want to crimp them yourself, you can go in for the separate patch cables that are "network-ready" Be prepared to spend again on cabling though if you move the computers and you didn't leave enough cable length. And oh, the hubs are passive hubs, dont expect active hubs to be this cheap. :D

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
A passive hub merely takes the signal from a node and broadcasts the data to the other nodes connected to its port. An active hub, or a multiport repeater as its called, also amplifies and cleans up the signal before passing it on to the other nodes. Active hubs also feature diagnostic lights and uplink ports. Most hubs used in corporate environments or anywhere you need a good performance, are intelligent "stackable" hubs, that in addition to amplifying and cleaning up the signals, runs built-in software to communicate with it via telnet and check operating params such as port status, traffic info, send alerts to management stations supporting SNMP, support for VLAN, etc. Most of the hubs you will find are just plain passive or semi-active hubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom