Help please in my system upgrade

NsK

Right off the assembly line
Hi guys,
I had assembled my pc long time back in 2012. Its been a gr8 system and now i want to slightly upgrade it.
Kindly help please as my motherboard n cpu are of such old generation and i am not sure if new/current hardwares would be supported by my MB and cpu( i plan to keep both of them,no upgrade for both.)

Current Specification

1. CPU
- Intel Core i5 750@ 2.67 GHz lynfield 45 nm technology
(No upgrade for CPU)

2. MOTHERBOARD
- MSI P55A- G55( MS 7668)
(No upgrade for Motherboard too)

3. SMPS
- Cooler master thunder 600W(RS 600)
(Hopefully it is sufficient for new hardwares too, so no upgrade)

To be upgraded

1. RAM
- Corsair 16GB 3000MHz DDR3 SDRAM (or)
-
Corsair 16GB 3000MHz DDR4
(If both cpu and motherboard supports DDR4)

2. GPU
- Zotac Amp Edition Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB DDR5 PCI-e Graphics Card with ice storm cooling
(If not supported, please mention the best replacement under Rs. 25000)

3. Storage
- Western digital blue 500 GB M.2 internal SSD

4. XP- Pen Deco 01 Digital
( for graphical drawing /personal use)

Please do feel free to add better recommendations/ sugeestions for specified cpu and motherboard.
I know the motherboard and cpu are so outdated that many of you wont even remember them. But those of you in digit,with decades of experience, do kindly help and reply asap. I need to upgrade fast for my projects.

Thanks

quicky008

Technomancer
1. Your current mobo doesn't support DDR4,so you're restricted to DDR3 only.For you the best and perhaps the only option is to get 2x8gb corsair vengeance DDR3 1600 mhz modules from any hardware store(they can also be found used at really competitive prices-you may want to check your regional olx/quikr listings for deals on these rams).If new,these would cost around Rs 3500 or thereabouts.

2. For Gpu,upgrading to 1060 would be a waste as you can find much better gpus these days at similar price points.In your case the gtx 1660 would be the best choice and would cost approximately 20k.
If your psu is in good shape then you may keep it,but if its over 5 years old then its strongly recommended that you upgrade to a new psu to minimize any potential risks in the long run.And CM psus(esp their cheaper models like the Extreme power series etc) are known to fail unexpectedly and hence are regarded as unreliable.

No idea regarding points 3 and 4,wait till other,more experienced members offer you their suggestions regarding these components.

Reactions: NsK

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
1. Only ddr3 ram for your mobo.
2. Your processor is not good enough to even fully utilize 1060 so it will be a waste.
3. Your psu is also just about avg & if it is already 3+ years old then I wouldn't risk pairing new costly hardware with it.
4. no m2 ssd for your mobo,only sata ssd.

OP
N

NsK

Thanks for swift reply.
If you wont mind, my queries as per your observations are
1. Can i upgrade to 2×8GB DDR3 Ram but of 3000MHz instead of 1600MHz.
2. So according to you my mobo and cpu will support Geforce GTX 1060 PCI-e GPU.Right?
3.Hopefully psu lasts and won't get fried with my new hardwares.
1. Your current mobo doesn't support DDR4,so you're restricted to DDR3 only.For you the best and perhaps the only option is to get 2x8gb corsair vengeance DDR3 1600 mhz modules from any hardware store(they can also be found used at really competitive prices-you may want to check your regional olx/quikr listings for deals on these rams).If new,these would cost around Rs 3500 or
1. Your current mobo doesn't support DDR4,so you're restricted to DDR3 only.For you the best and perhaps the only option is to get 2x8gb corsair vengeance DDR3 1600 mhz modules from any hardware store(they can also be found used at really competitive prices-you may want to check your regional olx/quikr listings for deals on these rams).If new,these would cost around Rs 3500 or thereabouts.

2. For Gpu,upgrading to 1060 would be a waste as you can find much better gpus these days at similar price points.In your case the gtx 1660 would be the best choice and would cost approximately 20k.
If your psu is in good shape then you may keep it,but if its over 5 years old then its strongly recommended that you upgrade to a new psu to minimize any potential risks in the long run.And CM psus(esp their cheaper models like the Extreme power series etc) are known to fail unexpectedly and hence are regarded as unreliable.

No idea regarding points 3 and 4,wait till other,more experienced members offer you their suggestions regarding these components.

OP
N

NsK

1. Only ddr3 ram for your mobo.
2. Your processor is not good enough to even fully utilize 1060 so it will be a waste.
3. Your psu is also just about avg & if it is already 3+ years old then I wouldn't risk pairing new costly hardware with it.
4. no m2 ssd for your mobo,only sata ssd.
Thanks for your reply. Can you kindly spare few more suggestions.
1.Can i go for 16gb ddr3 ram of 3000 Mhz?
2. What would be your suggestion for GPU?
3. Hopefully my psu dont get fried with my new upgrades.
4. Ok i will be using my good old 500gb sata harddrive for some more time then.

quicky008

Technomancer
1. in theory it might be possible,but 3000 mhz rams aren't easily available nowadays as DDR3 is on the verge of becoming obsolete.Also as far as i know only high end mobos of later generations supported DDR3 3000 mhz,and that too only when they were OC'd,but the performance gains from using such rams were negligible and so using them wasn't considered worthwhile.

Your mobo is actually quite old,so its compatibility with 3000 mhz rams may be an issue-and even if it somehow does work,it will run at your mobo's highest supported ram speed,which is most likely 1333 mhz.So there will be no improvement by using such faster ddr3 memory.Hence its recommended that you stick to regular 1333 mhz/1600 mhz modules only if you want to upgrade.

2. like i said before,the gtx 1660 will suffice for your needs.its based on nvidia's newer turing architecture and is much faster than the older gtx 1060.Its quite cheap too,and you can get one for around 20k: here's one from zotac that will fit into your budget:

Buy Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 6GB GDDR5 (ZT-T16600F-10L) at Lowest Price in India - mdcomputers.in

3. as your budget for gpu was originally 25k,you can use extra amount that would be saved by buying the gtx 1660 on a new power supply.This is the one I'd recommend:

Buy CORSAIR CX650 at Lowest Price in India - www.mdcomputers.in

i noticed that you are using a cooler master thunder psu-thats a really low quality unit and hence its recommended that you ditch it as soon as possible to ensure the longevity of your system.

4. That's entirely upto you,you can also get a 2tb hdd from WD/toshiba if your budget permits.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Your CPU would bottleneck any GPU above GTX 1050Ti (probably that too). PSU is no good and should be dumped. I don't think DDR3 ram was ever clocked above 2133 MHz and i5-750 certainly doesn't support ram above 1333 Mhz. Mobo has no m.2 slot.

If I were you, I'd rather get a new config instead of trying to upgrade this one.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your CPU would bottleneck any GPU above GTX 1050Ti (probably that too). PSU is no good and should be dumped. I don't think DDR3 ram was ever clocked above 2133 MHz and i5-750 certainly doesn't support ram above 1333 Mhz. Mobo has no m.2 slot.

If I were you, I'd rather get a new config instead of trying to upgrade this one.
This.
Thanks for your reply. Can you kindly spare few more suggestions.
1.Can i go for 16gb ddr3 ram of 3000 Mhz?
2. What would be your suggestion for GPU?
3. Hopefully my psu dont get fried with my new upgrades.
4. Ok i will be using my good old 500gb sata harddrive for some more time then.
Best option for you would be to buy cheapest ddr3 ram sticks of 1333/1600MHz & a used 1050Ti(asus or zotac) with warranty remaining(bill for asus & bill+3 years extra warranty confirmation email from zotac for zotac card).

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
like i said before,the gtx 1660 will suffice for your needs.its based on nvidia's newer turing architecture and is much faster than the older gtx 1060.Its quite cheap too,and you can get one for around 20k: here's one from zotac that will fit into your budget
His processor probably won't even be able to run it at 1050Ti max performance(as represented by fps in games) so what's the point of buying it.In fact it may even have more issues compared to older gen cards because of latest drivers+win 10 combo as rest of the system is quite old & there is no guarantee that latest nvidia drivers(must for 16xx series) will play nice with win 7 or win 10 will play nice with such an old system(it is 1st gen core i after all).

+1 to this.
My recommendation would be to save money & get new parts by the end of the year when new AMD hardwares are out.

His processor probably won't even be able to run it at 1050Ti max performance(as represented by fps in games) so what's the point of buying it.In fact it may even have more issues compared to older gen cards because of latest drivers+win 10 combo as rest of the system is quite old & there is no guarantee that latest nvidia drivers(must for 16xx series) will play nice with win 7 or win 10 will play nice with such an old system(it is 1st gen core i after all).
My home PC has i3 530 & I installed Win10 on it a few years back. Everything is working fine other than the hardware issues.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
My home PC has i3 530 & I installed Win10 on it a few years back. Everything is working fine other than the hardware issues.
Each later version of win 10 comes with its own set of issues & when it comes to mobos,sometimes even different versions of same mobo may not behave in a same way with same windows version let alone a mobo from a different manufacturer(mobo matters most compared to processor,this is assuming your mobo is not the same as @op). It may work also but why take the chance.

Each later version of win 10 comes with its own set of issues & when it comes to mobos,sometimes even different versions of same mobo may not behave in a same way with same windows version let alone a mobo from a different manufacturer(mobo matters most compared to processor,this is assuming your mobo is not the same as @op). It may work also but why take the chance.
Still, Microsoft tried to ensure that it works with most PCs running Win7, so most likely it will work. In the rare case it doesn't, you can always jump back to Win7. I have seen Win10 running fine in laptops with 1st & 2nd gen i series CPUs as well.

mitraark

Decrepit
Hi guys,
I had assembled my pc long time back in 2012. Its been a gr8 system and now i want to slightly upgrade it.
Kindly help please as my motherboard n cpu are of such old generation and i am not sure if new/current hardwares would be supported by my MB and cpu( i plan to keep both of them,no upgrade for both.)

Current Specification

1. CPU
- Intel Core i5 750@ 2.67 GHz lynfield 45 nm technology
(No upgrade for CPU)

2. MOTHERBOARD
- MSI P55A- G55( MS 7668)
(No upgrade for Motherboard too)

3. SMPS
- Cooler master thunder 600W(RS 600)
(Hopefully it is sufficient for new hardwares too, so no upgrade)

To be upgraded

1. RAM
- Corsair 16GB 3000MHz DDR3 SDRAM (or)
-
Corsair 16GB 3000MHz DDR4
(If both cpu and motherboard supports DDR4)

2. GPU
- Zotac Amp Edition Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB DDR5 PCI-e Graphics Card with ice storm cooling
(If not supported, please mention the best replacement under Rs. 25000)

3. Storage
- Western digital blue 500 GB M.2 internal SSD

4. XP- Pen Deco 01 Digital
( for graphical drawing /personal use)

Please do feel free to add better recommendations/ sugeestions for specified cpu and motherboard.
I know the motherboard and cpu are so outdated that many of you wont even remember them. But those of you in digit,with decades of experience, do kindly help and reply asap. I need to upgrade fast for my projects.

Thanks

Hi,

I was in a similar situation a few months back. I intended to upgrade my GPU to play new games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Metro Underground. I got myself a 1070 and used it with my i5 760, upgrading from a 750ti. Framerates increased but it kept lagging at times. The CPU couldn't handle the load.

If you can let us know what you intend to do on your PC, and your budget for upgrade, we might be able to suggest the appropriate upgrade for you.

quicky008

Technomancer
Did you experience any lag while running metro exodus? I faced the same issue while attempting to run it on an haswell i5 with a 1060 6gb

Did you experience any lag while running metro exodus? I faced the same issue while attempting to run it on an haswell i5 with a 1060 6gb
That is a decent CPU for GTX 1060, maybe reduce the graphics quality. Exodus is a heavy game.
Metro Exodus PC Graphics Benchmark
Also, do you have dual channel RAM? It usually helps to improve those 1% low fps.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@NsK - That old rig if yours will have a hard time with new gpus. May I know how much ram do you currently have ? 3000 Mhz ram modules won't be compatible with your motherboard so don't waste time and money in finding them. Get 1333 Mhz or 1600 Mhz ram modules. Best would be if you post a screenshot of cpuz memory and spd tab.

If you are planning to keep your mobo+cpu you better invest in some good cooler like Cooler Master Hyper H410R. Overclock the cpu to 3.5 - 3.6 Ghz which can be easily done with around 1.25 - 1.26v vcore voltage and turbo off - this will give the cpu performance a decent boost.

Lastly, Change the PSU - get the corsair PSU suggested by @quicky008 or you can get some decent Antec PSU. Get GTX 1660 as it's a decent future proof card.

Top Bottom