Help! New Laptop <50K for Animation

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
Guys,

I have to buy a new laptop for my sister. she is doing an Animation Course at MAAC. Few things i would like to know.

1) suggest a Laptop if you can (No Trouble left for me) :))
2) if not (1) then What should i look for
a) Powerful Processor (Intel i7)​
b) Combo of powerful CPU and GPU
3) What do you think about Acer as a brand?

PS: Soft wares that will be used

• Adobe Photoshop™
• Adobe After Effects™
• Adobe Premiere™
• Adobe Sound Booth™
• Autodesk 3dsmax™
• Autodesk Maya™
• Autodesk Mudbox™
• Eyeon Fusion™
• Apple Final Cut Pro™
• Autodesk Matchmover™

Budget : < Rs 50,000

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Well, since my bro is also an animator, i would seriously suggest you to go for a PC. As you'll get a much better (Actually not even comparable) system than a lappi. If you want a lappi in that budget, you've got some options-

1) Sony Vaio CB35 (but sad GPU, which will be a serious bottleneck in ur rendering tasks)

2) HP Dv6 6*** series (awesome GPU and procy, but sad hardware nd display, also these are discontinued, new lappis launch awaiting...)

But seriously, GO FOR A PC.

As far as for config, go for a quad core procy, as animation applications are real multi-threaded. So they will use the juice of 4 cores very well. Plus a good gfx card is not at all negotiable. Go for a high mid range gfx.

3) Acer are very ahead in providing one of the most VFM lappis, nothing more than that.

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Dell Precision laptops is what you need. Coz GeForce/Radeon are optimized for gaming. Look for AMD FirePro or NVIDIA GPU with i7 extreme in whatever brand you are buying

OP
ayush_chh

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
Well, since my bro is also an animator, i would seriously suggest you to go for a PC. As you'll get a much better (Actually not even comparable) system than a lappi. If you want a lappi in that budget, you've got some options-

1) Sony Vaio CB35 (but sad GPU, which will be a serious bottleneck in ur rendering tasks)

2) HP Dv6 6*** series (awesome GPU and procy, but sad hardware nd display, also these are discontinued, new lappis launch awaiting...)

But seriously, GO FOR A PC.

As far as for config, go for a quad core procy, as animation applications are real multi-threaded. So they will use the juice of 4 cores very well. Plus a good gfx card is not at all negotiable. Go for a high mid range gfx.

3) Acer are very ahead in providing one of the most VFM lappis, nothing more than that.

Thanks Sujay...My sis does not want a PC :( i have tried my best to sell her that :D..i was more biased towards Acer for the same reason..just wanted to know whether it is worth or not

Dell Precision laptops is what you need. Coz GeForce/Radeon are optimized for gaming. Look for AMD FirePro or NVIDIA GPU with i7 extreme in whatever brand you are buying

thanks prashant..but do you think this will be in my budget? can you suggest some model ?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^^Then go for a lappi which gives u combo of quad core procy + good gfx + HD display (display mattersa lot in animation as i have seen my bro )

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
Precision is too high for your budget. Around 70k. But what is the use of a 50K laptop if things are laggy. How about a PC + netbook for 55k (40k+15k)

OP
ayush_chh

ayush_chh

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks prashant and sujay

Precision is too high for your budget. Around 70k. But what is the use of a 50K laptop if things are laggy. How about a PC + netbook for 55k (40k+15k)

I am totally with you on this...but PC is not the Option and I have a Model of Acer in mind (Intel i5 2430M, Nvidia 540M, 4GB DDR3, 640 GB HDD, etc etc) at 41K...so i just wish they have something with i7 within my budget.:))

@sujay

can you please let me know your Bro's Config and also rate the performance on a scale of 10 ? i think that would help me in decision making.. :)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Thanks prashant and sujay
@sujay

can you please let me know your Bro's Config and also rate the performance on a scale of 10 ? i think that would help me in decision making.. :)

My bro's config is ( as per i remember)-

q8400 quad core procy
GTS250
8GB RAM
some EVGA board which costed 12k :|

final cost was 66k in 2008. You can get a better system in 50k now :p :D

Top Bottom