Help needed to buy wireless Router with Modem

dikart4

Broken In
Hello friends,

Currently I am using UT300R2U Modem that was purchased 6 years back along with BSNL bb. My current BSNL bb plan is BB Home Combo ULD 950.

Now I am planning to buy a wireless router or Router with Modem in 1.5 - 2K range.I live in a 3BHK house with 2 rooms adjacent to each other in ground floor and a single room in 1st floor right above the room in which the router or modem will be kept.I need signal coverage for upto 30 feet in ground floor and also in the room in 1st floor.

Initially I was planning to buy just a wireless router and using my old modem.As my old modem was purchased 6 yrs back and the necessity to run both the devices(modem and router), I decided to buy a router with modem.Is it justifiable?

If you guys say that I can use my old modem without any problems for next 4-5 yrs then I am ready to buy only router and save some money.

I went through few threads here and shortlisted few things

1.D-Link DSL-2730U Wireless N 150 ADSL2 4-Port Router - D-Link: Flipkart.com

2.TP-LINK TD-W8951ND 150Mbps Wireless N ADSL2 Modem Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

3.TP-LINK TD-W8961ND 300Mbps ADSL2+ Wireless with ModemRouter - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

4.TP-LINK TD-W8968 300 Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ Modem Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

150mbps modems have single antenna and 300mbps modems have 2 antennas.Since I will be using a PC , 1 Laptop and 2-3 mobile phones, Imo 150mbps modem is sufficient but with the single antenna can the signal strength remain good in the area that I have mentioned above?

I came to know in this forum that option 4 is more future proof with that USB and EWAN option.Can that USB port used to share media and files among the devices in the home n/w and also to connect 3G/4G Dongle?I may not be changing my ISP in near future as I am very much satisfied with BSNL from past 6 yrs,so will that EWAN option be any usefull?

Is it necessary to have more than 1 LAN port in the modem for my requiremnts?coz TP-Link-TD-W8951N with single LAN port was available for around Rs.1450 on flipkart. Can I consider that option as well?

I will buy it locally or online within 2 days as the prices are getting increased recently.So expecting quick replies.

Thank You.:-D

Updated on 3-july-2013 @ 17:37 Guys please reply......I am planning to buy TP-LINK TD-8951ND.....is it good enough for my requirements??

Also I came across few reviews in flipkart reporting some heating issues with that modem ....is it true??Also How is the signal strength of that modem can it be good enough in a 1000sq.ft area with a wall between two adjacent rooms??

How much difference in terms of signal strength would the TP-LINK TD-8961ND (300 mbps, 2 3dbi antennas) modem would make over TP-LINK TD-8951ND (150 mbps, single 5dbi antenna) modem? Any TDigitians using these modems please comment.

Last edited:

sharathn29

Broken In
Imo TP-LINK TD-8961ND is the best option for you. I dont know much about its after sales service so wait for others reply before buying.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Hello friends,

Currently I am using UT300R2U Modem that was purchased 6 years back along with BSNL bb. My current BSNL bb plan is BB Home Combo ULD 950.

Now I am planning to buy a wireless router or Router with Modem in 1.5 - 2K range.I live in a 3BHK house with 2 rooms adjacent to each other in ground floor and a single room in 1st floor right above the room in which the router or modem will be kept.I need signal coverage for upto 30 feet in ground floor and also in the room in 1st floor.

Initially I was planning to buy just a wireless router and using my old modem.As my old modem was purchased 6 yrs back and the necessity to run both the devices(modem and router), I decided to buy a router with modem.Is it justifiable?

Yeah. Because maintaining a router and modem differently is a cumbersome task.

If you guys say that I can use my old modem without any problems for next 4-5 yrs then I am ready to buy only router and save some money.

You can do that too. But I personally prefer Router + Modem. Easy to setup and everything can be maintained from a single place.

I went through few threads here and shortlisted few things

1.D-Link DSL-2730U Wireless N 150 ADSL2 4-Port Router - D-Link: Flipkart.com

2.TP-LINK TD-W8951ND 150Mbps Wireless N ADSL2 Modem Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

3.TP-LINK TD-W8961ND 300Mbps ADSL2+ Wireless with ModemRouter - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

4.TP-LINK TD-W8968 300 Mbps Wireless N USB ADSL2+ Modem Router - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com

150mbps modems have single antenna and 300mbps modems have 2 antennas.Since I will be using a PC , 1 Laptop and 2-3 mobile phones, Imo 150mbps modem is sufficient but with the single antenna can the signal strength remain good in the area that I have mentioned above?

Well, if you are looking for file transfer then 150Mbps will not be good enough. For File sharing within LAN, go for 300Mbps.

I guess all the router (8951, 8961, 8968) can cover 30 feet distance depending on number of walls in between. Still better wait for some other members to confirm.

I came to know in this forum that option 4 is more future proof with that USB and EWAN option.Can that USB port used to share media and files among the devices in the home n/w and also to connect 3G/4G Dongle?I may not be changing my ISP in near future as I am very much satisfied with BSNL from past 6 yrs,so will that EWAN option be any usefull?

Yeah, you can use that USB Port to share Media and Files among devices. So it means you can plug in your pen drive on the router and copy the files on any of the connected devices.

You can use it for 3G Dongle too. Don't know whether 4G will work. So it's a future proof. As 2G prices have been slashed down recently, 3G prices too going to be down in near future, so you can use 3G as a backup solution if sometime BSNL gets down.

EWAN can be usefull if you ever think of using Fibre Optics connection. (This doesn't exist much in India for home users).

Is it necessary to have more than 1 LAN port in the modem for my requiremnts?coz TP-Link-TD-W8951N with single LAN port was available for around Rs.1450 on flipkart. Can I consider that option as well?

Depends on your usage if you need more than one LAN Port. But generally nowadays all the routers have 3-4 LAN ports though 1 of them gets used only.

8951 - Low Price, Great Router, but as it's 150Mbps forget file transfer or be ready for a slow like hell speed. Also as it's have one (3 dBi) antenna I don't know whether your requirement will be fulfilled.

8961 - Just Rs. 5/- more than 8951. So it makes more sense to get 8961 for 5/- more. For 5/- more you get 300Mbps router which is good for file sharing and 2 Antenna (3 dBi each) which can cover a good range. If still that doesn't cover your range, you can get 8 dBi antenna's from TP Link which are sold separately.

8968 - 800/- more than 8961 and makes sense if you want to be future proof. And both 8951 and 8961 are old models and this one is the newer one in market. The main things are USB and EWAN. If you can afford keep it a solution which you may use later. As one doesn't change a router frequently. So if within few years 3G prices goes down you can use this. Also you can use this when BSNL is down for days or something.

I will buy it locally or online within 2 days as the prices are getting increased recently.So expecting quick replies.

Thank You.:-D

Updated on 3-july-2013 @ 17:37 Guys please reply......I am planning to buy TP-LINK TD-8951ND.....is it good enough for my requirements??

Also I came across few reviews in flipkart reporting some heating issues with that modem ....is it true??Also How is the signal strength of that modem can it be good enough in a 1000sq.ft area with a wall between two adjacent rooms??

How much difference in terms of signal strength would the TP-LINK TD-8961ND (300 mbps, 2 3dbi antennas) modem would make over TP-LINK TD-8951ND (150 mbps, single 5dbi antenna) modem? Any TDigitians using these modems please comment.

Well I really don't have idea about the distance between my 1st floor and 2nd floor. I have also test the range of WiFi but can't express in feet. Will update the post later after I get home and ask my dad about the distance thing :p

OP
D

dikart4

Broken In
Thank you krishnandu.sarkar

I was worried about service centers of TP-Link as i saw that one of the forum member had problem to RMA his Gigabit Switch as there is no place to register an RMA in TP-Links site. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/service-rma-watch/173050-tp-links-after-sales-service.html thats why I asked about A.S.S of D-link and TP-Link.

Anyhow since TP-Link has 3 years warranty I hope if there are any problems it will be handled

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Now even I'm scared what to do if something gets wrong. As I'm from Kolkata, the information there helped me. But can't help you in this matter if you are not from Kolkata.

Also, email TP Link Customer Care once about the thing. If they reply let us know the conversation. That'll help us all.

shreymittal

Being Human
I got your PM
Get this eyes closed TP-LINK TD-W8968 300 Mbps
I never had any problems with TP-Link
And about heating issues update its firmware to the latest as soon as you get that modem it will heal up the issue

OP
D

dikart4

Broken In
Okay I will send a mail to them ....let us c what will be their response.

I believe there will be atleast one person in this forum who had some problem with any TP-Link network appliance/component that they bought and it will be really helpful if they can tell how it was handled/resolved under warranty period.:|

OP
D

dikart4

Broken In
Okay guys I had sent a mail to TP-Link guys to know about the procedure to R.M.A or claim warranty got this reply from them...

Dear Sir,
For Support we had toll free number 18002094168.
And for replacement you can get the replacement from our Service Partner in your area on the basis of Sr. No.

For any more information & help call us on our Toll Free No. 1800-209-4168 from 10 A.M. to 6 P.M. (Monday to Saturday).

To get technical support more quickly, please go to -
FAQ - Welcome to TP-LINK

Thank you.

Best Regards !!!

I ordered TP-LINK TD-W8961ND 300Mbps ADSL2+ Wireless with ModemRouter - TP-LINK: Flipkart.com from flipkart for Rs.1950 as the local price was around Rs.2300.

Thank you krishnandu.sarkar,shreymittal ,Tenida for your valuable suggestions.

Also plz fwd me to some useful resources for setting up the modem and the security issues that needs to be taken care before using the modem.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Use the CD Provided with it to set up. It's easy as 1-2-3.

For WiFi I recommend WPA2-PSK with a password containing Upper Case + Lower Case + Number + Special Charachter. For Eg. Kr1s|-||\|@|\|du => Krishnandu.

Also, if you are too much concerned about security, enable MAC Filtering and add the MAC Address of the devices that you'll be using.

Remember to change the username and password of the Router used for Login. By default it's admin & admin for almost all the routers. (Some routers use admin & password).

That'd be more than enough for Home Use.

OP
D

dikart4

Broken In
Hi guys

In Snapdeal TP-Link 300MBPS WIRELESS N USB ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER(TD-W8968) is available for Rs.2200.....Is it a reliable site can i buy i there...please reply me ASAP

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
No don't. Don't buy product from Snapdeal. For coupons it's fine. But there are many negative reviews on purchase of products on snapdeal. I myself a snapdeal coupon customer, but never dared to get the product from there.

Google about the reviews on snapdeal.

Don't take risk for INR 300/-, better order from Flipkart.

OP
D

dikart4

Broken In
Okay It had cash on delivery option and also in flipkart TD-W8968 costs 2.75K

Here is the snapdeal link TP-Link 300MBPS WIRELESS N USB ADSL2+ MODEM ROUTER(TD-W8968) - Buy @ Rs.2199/- Online | Snapdeal.com

What to do?

I had called a distributor in bangalore region ECAPS Computers India Pvt Ltd and they told me that they give warranty to those tp-link products bought in snapdeal only not flipkart.

If I buy in flipkart he told me to follow the guidelines given by customer care no i.e, 1800 2094 168 . What is this I am not able to understand.
I was thinking to cancel fk order and place in snapdeal.....confused now what to do?

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
If it offers COD then it's fine. But be alert that the product can reach you after a month too (if you luck is that bad :p)

OP
D

dikart4

Broken In
Really confused now.....huh

Cancelled order in flipkart and placed the order for Td-W8968 in snapdeal.....expected dispatch date is 9th july 2013.

Last edited:
OP
D

dikart4

Broken In
For some unknown reasons they have cancelled my order.....when I contacted them they said its out of stock:-x

How about buying in ebay....Although I have purchased many things from W S retail in flipkart,I haven't purchased anything from ebay till now and td-w8968 is available for 2.5K from a top rated seller in ebay.

I would have bought it from flipkart itself but W S Retail has run out of stock I guess and I dont have trust in other sellers in flipkart also price is around 2.75K.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
You can buy from Ebay without any worries. Just make sure the seller is good rating and if it's power seller then you don't have to check anything else.

bukaida

In the zone
I have purchased Td-W8968 from e-Bay Power seller @2348 (including shipping ). I stay in kolkata and couldnot find a reliable and better deal either online or offline. I have used a coupon to avail 7.5% discount. If you have the ICICI net banking/debit card, you can avail it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom