Help needed to buy wireless Router with Modem

OP
D

dikart4

Broken In
Thank you guys for your help and valuable suggestions.

Got my TP-Link TD-W8968 from flipkart today.......Configuring the router was very easy and I configured the router with these settings for my BSNL BB Home Combo ULD 950

WAN Connection Type: PPPoE
VPI [0-255]: 0
VCI [32-65535]: 35
Network Name (SSID): *****
Network Security Type: Most Security (WPA2-PSK)
Network Security Key: *************

Is these settings Okay?

If there are any other security settings that needs to be done please guide me.

Still not yet checked the signal strength and range....will update those things later :)

How to find current firmware edition?? and how to update it if necessary?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
in device info you will see firmware version something like 2.0.1 Build xxxxxx Rel.xxxxx where build no. is your firmware.also you need to check your router hardware version.for W8968 updates are available for hardware v1.for details see this:
TD-W8968 - Welcome to TP-LINK
latest firmware for W8968 hardware v1 is 130217 so if it is lower than this then upgrade.if your firmware is already 130217 or your hardware version is v2 then no update is required currently.also disable WPS in your wifi settings if it is enabled.

OP
D

dikart4

Broken In
Okay thanks.....
My device info says
Firmware Version:0.6.0 1.1 v0005.0 Build 120926 Rel.27100n
Hardware Version:TD-W8968 v1 00000000

I need to update firmware right......firmware update guidelines say
It's recommended that users stop all Internet applications on the computer, or simply disconnect Internet line from the device before upgrade.
Disconnecting internet line from device means what??

The device is getting heated up a bit....is there anything to worry?

How to disable WPS in Wifi settings?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
simply unplug the telephone line coming from splitter & going into rj11 port at the back of your W8968.for WPS go to wireless---WPS setting(beside basic setting,for details check user manual pdf).also make sure that when updating firmware power supply is not interrupted so better connect your router & pc to inverter/ups for the duration of updating(~3-5min).after updating to latest firmware heating issue should be minimized though it is normal for any modem/router to moderately heat up.

OP
D

dikart4

Broken In
Unable to update the firmware

I downloaded the zip file from TP-Link site and extracted it.It was a .bin file so I created a .cue file and tried to mount it using Daemon Tools but the Mounting device msg appears and it gets stuck there.

Is there anything wrong in what I did?

How to improve signal strength?
I used wifi analytics and network signal info apps in my Sony xperia Tipo to chech the wifi signal strength and it is too weak.It drops to 80% just 5 feet from the router and drops to 60% in the living room just 15 feet away and 45-50% 20-25 feet away from the router.My neighbours wifi signal strenght is stronger than mine in living room.But in the 1st floor room signal strength is 90-100% and on an average it stays around 60% outside the room in 1st floor.I hope these things will be sorted once I update firmware.

I read in a forum that after firmware update few people had some issues like dropping internet every 1-2 hours while downloading through uTorrent.Is it true?coz I'm a 24x7 downloader.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if i remember correctly that issue with utorrent was not with latest firmware version & people complaining were probably running too many torrents(not advisable on our slow indian connections anyway).as for update you need to go to System Tools---Firmware Upgrade & then browse & select the bin file you extracted earlier.

OP
D

dikart4

Broken In
Thanks whitestar_999

Firmware upgraded...:)
Firmware Version:0.6.0 0.4 v0005.0 Build 130217 Rel.62075n
Hardware Version:TD-W8968 v1 00000000

But after upgrade I had to run the Quick setup and change VPI/VCI values to 0 and 35.
Now my ADSL WAN Interface in WAN Settings shows 2 entries
1.br_8_35_0 Bridge type with both ipv4 and ipv6 enabled.
2.pppoe_0_35_2_d PPPoE type with only ipv4 enabled.

The status of both the entries is connected....Is it okay?or should I have to delete br_8_35_0 interface entry??

Also can you please give some suggestions regarding signal strength situation that I am facing......are those values that I am getting proper for TD-W8968? Can anybody who is having this modem compare and confirm the correctness of these values.I was expecting 100-75% signal strength in ground floor(1000sq.ft).Is there any software or app that can check wifi signal strength accurately??

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if it is working no need to modify/delete anything.as for signal info try asking @krishnandu.sarkar & @shreymittal as i believe they both are using same/similar tp-link models.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Regarding the Strength, get 8 dBi Antennas that are sold by TP Link loosely. The router is attached with 3 dBi Antenna's.

Also remember, you just can't compare WiFi signal strength just like that. It depends on many factors like walls in between, thickness of the walls, the location where router is placed, whether it's able to transmit the signal effectively without any obstacle etc.

OP
D

dikart4

Broken In
Hello guys,

To disable WPS, I have to enter Modem Router settings and disable WPS in WPS settings thats it right?? Is there anything to be done in modem i.e.,clicking any buttons? There is a small WPS button on modem router .Do I have to do anything to it?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
i think WPS button is there for 1 click setup & if this option is disabled in settings then pushing that button will either re-enable it or do nothing.

Top Bottom