Help needed for noob :(

akhilc47

Journeyman
Hi frnds, I am very noobish in network stuffs. So please pardon me if this is a dumb query. I have a internet via LAN in my campus. They gave me the proxy addresses port etc. which I successfully set up in firefox.Also a username and password. I am able to browse but I cant connect any other program to internet. For example I cant update my antivirus because it says I dont have an internet connection. Also I cant use many apps except browsers. What should I do? I have also heard there's dc++ by which we can download any file games,movies etc. from the LAN. I cant make it work either. I am using windows 7 btw. Also in the tray it is shown that I am connected to network 5. Please give a solution. thank you......

I can also see more than 30 computers in this network also......

kisame

King of Heroes
You trying to connect DC++ to internet or just LAN??It wont connect to internet because ports are blocked.However,it should work flawlessly with local hub.

About antivirus,check in its settings.It must have options for proxy.BTW,which anitvirus you are using???

OP
akhilc47

akhilc47

Journeyman
Thanks for the reply. I use Mcafee and I cant find any internet settings in it. Internet works good with download manager in which I was able to set proxy address,proxy,password easily. But many software doesnt offer simple internet settings. What will I do? Once again thanx ........

I am trying to connect iternet via LAN. Forget dc++ .I will get to it later. All I want is all my programs should connect to internet.

Hrishi

Most probably because rest of the ports have been blocked.

There is a thing called DotProxy , you can try that. Although it had a different purpose.

kisame

King of Heroes
Try proxifier to make your AV work.Mind u its not free.Its 31 day trial.
offtopic:u got mcafee with your lappy??

Last edited:
OP
akhilc47

akhilc47

Journeyman
ya i got mcafee wid lappy. Also I cant connect gameranger neither. It has proxy,port settings. But still not working. :(

kisame

King of Heroes
^You wont be able to game behind proxy.This is why ports are blocked in colleges and companies.To prevent misuse.

Top Bottom