HELP !! Multiple OS installation !!!

kryptex

Broken In
Hi,
I bought the G6 2313ax yesterday. I have a couple of problems.
1. DOS was pre-installed which is using FAT32(still there). so without removing it i installed Windows 7. I was able to create only 3 drive partitions.
2. Now from the remaining unpartitioned space,i created a new drive (NTFS) using disk management ,but while doing so the drive partition changed my HDD from Basic to dynamic. I deleted the partitions n also windows 7 files.
3. Some how i managed to install win 7 again. The problem is i am unable to remove DOS and my C drive is shown as dynamic. Also i am unable to partition the unpartitioned space.Here is a screenshot. disk management.png

I want to:
1. Completely remove DOS n completely format the whole HDD(including win 7).
2. I want to install XP,Win 7, Ubuntu by physical partition.
So guys please guide me through this.

Gollum

Collector
Hi,
1. DOS was pre-installed which is using FAT32(still there). so without removing it i installed Windows 7. I was able to create only 3 drive partitions.
2. Now from the remaining unpartitioned space,i created a new drive (NTFS) using disk management ,but while doing so the drive partition changed my HDD from Basic to dynamic. I deleted the partitions n also windows 7 files.
3. Some how i managed to install win 7 again. The problem is i am unable to remove DOS and my C drive is shown as dynamic. Also i am unable to partition the unpartitioned space.Here is a screenshot. View attachment 11143

I want to:

you will have to delete all the partitions somehow. Only then it will work.

Vignesh B

Youngling
Hi,
3. Some how i managed to install win 7 again. The problem is i am unable to remove DOS and my C drive is shown as dynamic. Also i am unable to partition the unpartitioned space.Here is a screenshot.

I want to:
1, 2. There can be a maximum of 4 primary partitions in a basic disk whereas such a restriction does not exist in a dynamic disk,. Thereby, you were allowed to create only 3 partitions(1 partition was already there)

Now, your options are -
1. Boot up your Windows 7 setup DVD, and in the drive partition page, select advanced options and then delete all the partitions shown.
2. If the above does not work, you might need to use a partition software which provides with a boot disc(something like parted magic). Just delete all the partitions from there. Or select - Create new partition table.

After that install Windows Xp, followed by Windows 7 and then finally Ubuntu. By the time Windows 7 is installed, you might see, there are already 3 partitions. Thus, while installing Ubuntu, create an extended partition instead of primary partition and create a partition inside the extended space and install Ubuntu into it. After that, you may create as many partitions inside the extended partition as you want.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Use easeus partition manager to convert from dynamic to basic without loosing any data.
Then remove the dos partiton you have.

Use easeus partition manager to convert from dynamic to basic without loosing any data.
Then remove the dos partiton you have.

OP
K

kryptex

Broken In
I used parted magic. Thanks anyways.
Use Aomei Rescue disc. Comes free with Aomei Parition Assistant.

Thanks a lot. I used parted magic from a pen drive and successfully deleted all the partitions. But after that still my drive was dynamic (GPT). I converted my HDD to MBR using command prompt from boot method.
When i inserted the XP cd and tried to install, at the point of (Setup is now starting windows, i got BSOD multiple times). I have now successfully installed Windows 7 (only 4 partitions,rest unallocated-431 GB free).
1, 2. There can be a maximum of 4 primary partitions in a basic disk whereas such a restriction does not exist in a dynamic disk,. Thereby, you were allowed to create only 3 partitions(1 partition was already there)

Now, your options are -
1. Boot up your Windows 7 setup DVD, and in the drive partition page, select advanced options and then delete all the partitions shown.
2. If the above does not work, you might need to use a partition software which provides with a boot disc(something like parted magic). Just delete all the partitions from there. Or select - Create new partition table.

After that install Windows Xp, followed by Windows 7 and then finally Ubuntu. By the time Windows 7 is installed, you might see, there are already 3 partitions. Thus, while installing Ubuntu, create an extended partition instead of primary partition and create a partition inside the extended space and install Ubuntu into it. After that, you may create as many partitions inside the extended partition as you want.

Thanks everyone, for helping me out. :)
I just want to know how to partition the remaining unallocated space and install Ubuntu along with win 7.
PS: I have decided not to install XP.

Vignesh B

Youngling
When i inserted the XP cd and tried to install, at the point of (Setup is now starting windows, i got BSOD multiple times).
That's a source of concern. Next time any BSOD comes, just let us know the error codes.

I have now successfully installed Windows 7 (only 4 partitions,rest unallocated-431 GB free).
I just want to know how to partition the remaining unallocated space and install Ubuntu along with win 7.
PS: I have decided not to install XP.
Can you post the screenshot of your disk management screen?

OP
K

kryptex

Broken In
I did some searching and found out that there a no XP drivers available for the model of my laptop.

Here is the screenshot of the disk management screen : Disk Management1.jpg
That's a source of concern. Next time any BSOD comes, just let us know the error codes.

Can you post the screenshot of your disk management screen?

kisame

King of Heroes
Since you already have 4 primary partitions, you will have to delete at least one partition(E drive in your case).
Then create an extended partition with the unallocated space inside it.Then create all the logical partitions you need inside that extended partition.
After that, you can install ubuntu on one of those logical partitions.
BTW, I recommend linux mint over ubuntu.

Last edited:
OP
K

kryptex

Broken In
Since you already have 4 primary partitions, you will have to delete at least one partition(E drive in your case).
Then create an extended partition with the unallocated space inside it.Then create all the logical partitions you need inside that extended partition.
After that, you can install ubuntu on one of those logical partitions.
BTW, I recommend linux mint over ubuntu.
While installing windows we can create only 4 partitions, i want to make more partitions of smaller size instead of one single large partition .....

kisame

King of Heroes
^No option other than deleting E drive.Move your data on your C or D and then do the partitioning.

OP
K

kryptex

Broken In
Ok. How to install Linux mint in dual boot with windows 7?
Also for Linux mint there are 2 versions : Cinnamon and MATE. Which one to go for?
^No option other than deleting E drive.Move your data on your C or D and then do the partitioning.

kisame

King of Heroes
Create your partitions like this.Use GParted Live or Parted Magic(I wont recommend windows partitioning tools).
1.System reserved (Primary)
2.C Drive (Primary)
3.D Drive (Primary)
4.Extended Partition
|--------4.1 Partition 1 (Logical)
|--------4.2 Partition 2 (Logical)

You can create as many logical paritions as you want.
Then boot Linux and choose any of those logical paritions as root partition and you are good to go.

As for which version of Linux Mint, You should check out their screenshots.I cant recommend because I dont use either of those.
Its KDE all the way for me.

OP
K

kryptex

Broken In
Create your partitions like this.Use GParted Live or Parted Magic(I wont recommend windows partitioning tools).
1.System reserved (Primary)
2.C Drive (Primary)
3.D Drive (Primary)
4.Extended Partition
|--------4.1 Partition 1 (Logical)
|--------4.2 Partition 2 (Logical)

You can create as many logical paritions as you want.
Then boot Linux and choose any of those logical paritions as root partition and you are good to go.

As for which version of Linux Mint, You should check out their screenshots.I cant recommend because I dont use either of those.
Its KDE all the way for me.
I did as you suggested ,deleted e drive and created 4 logical partitions in the unallocated space, but now there is a problem that while installing ubuntu the windows partitions are not detected. Please check my new thread in Opensource section.

Top Bottom