Help me- urgent

Status
Not open for further replies.

krisjr

In the zone
:?:
hi,
Could somebody help me out.I purchased a compaq comp some 3yrs back.my specs r 64mb sdram(100mhz),win 98Se,10gb HDD,via tech motherboard,P3..If i want to upgrade then which motherboard,processor,chipset i should go for.i am quite sceptical about AMD.I want to have an option for a latest graphics card and tv tuner card.Considering this what comp specs would be advisable.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
You have aroused my curiosity. Why are you skeptical about AMD ? If you give your reasons, maybe we can settle your doubts. If it's the heat issue, that's history now.

Both Intel and AMD have their strong points, but at present AMD systems are generally considered to be the best buy. Anyway, whether you want to try AMD or to stick with Intel, state your budget, the intended use for your computer and the performance level you expect. Then we can all chime in with suggestions.

JaX

Broken In
I'd say go for the AMD, it's coming up as a SERIOUS competitor for Intel, and is, in my opinion, better-performing than the intel..

As for the processor, since I am out of touch with the current market prices, I cannot give you good advice, but if it's much cheaper than 3000+, you can go for something like 2400+..
Higher end graphics card suggests that you're a gamer, and the processor is not going to make a big difference if it's greater than 2000Mhz..

From personal experience I have seen that the nVidia chipset is better than the ATI in the same price range, and while you're at it, go for MSI manufacturers.. I'm not sure, but some graphics cards come with TV tuner, so you don't need to buy a separate one..

And by the way, I think it's better to go for a new computer, than upgrade.. If you're upgrading, you'll have to upgrade everything to support the new components, including maybe a new power box.. You'll be able to retain your drives, though..

JaX

yehmeriidhain

In the zone
Well Boss!! i think upgrading means how much U can afford ??? i believe money is a major factor!! ...

Newayzz i believe U need tp upgrade a lot! but still my suggestions! would be stick to intel processor only & Jax wrote:

I'd say go for the AMD, it's coming up as a SERIOUS competitor for Intel, and is, in my opinion, better-performing than the intel..

Mr. Jax there are still some problems with AMD according to me! Pentium works fine & even better than tht .... & if krisjr u wanna upgrade seriously then go for intel original D865GBF bcz they have 8X AGP on-board ( so U need not invest for ne graphics card right now!! ) .... & have atleast 256 MB RAM else ur upgrade wont be giving ya the performance as much u r expecting!! ..... go for 80GB HDD with atleast 7200 rpm ... ..

but this all depends on the budget U need to tell ur budget or else suggestions wunt be of ne such worth ... enjoy

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
pimpom said:
You have aroused my curiosity. Why are you skeptical about AMD ? If you give your reasons, maybe we can settle your doubts. If it's the heat issue, that's history now.

Both Intel and AMD have their strong points, but at present AMD systems are generally considered to be the best buy. Anyway, whether you want to try AMD or to stick with Intel, state your budget, the intended use for your computer and the performance level you expect. Then we can all chime in with suggestions.

Hi,
well change is alwys difficult yar.I have since birth used intel products.But plz do enlighten me abouit AMD products cuz yes heat issue is there but i dont know how far they have solved it and also in some recent magz i have read that AMD beats Intel by some margin(I dnt know how)..Also there are compatibility issues,i dnot know if other cards etc and softwares will work properly on an AMD platform.

OP
K

krisjr

In the zone
JaX said:

As for the processor, since I am out of touch with the current market prices, I cannot give you good advice, but if it's much cheaper than 3000+, you can go for something like 2400+..
Higher end graphics card suggests that you're a gamer, and the processor is not going to make a big difference if it's greater than 2000Mhz..

From personal experience I have seen that the nVidia chipset is better than the ATI in the same price range, and while you're at it, go for MSI manufacturers.. I'm not sure, but some graphics cards come with TV tuner, so you don't need to buy a separate one..

And by the way, I think it's better to go for a new computer, than upgrade.. If you're upgrading, you'll have to upgrade everything to support the new components, including maybe a new power box.. You'll be able to retain your drives, though..

JaX

hi,
well now u have confused me a little.what about intel chipsets.Nvidia,MSI,ATI- are they compatible with intel...Intel 925 mobos- how is it.

cooljeba

The Photoshop Guy
hmm.. let me not confuse you by telling lotta stuffs.

In simple words i would say go for AMD. I own it and believe me i have never faced any probs. If u got buck u can go fot amd64 (future proof).

..:: peace ::..
Jeba

JaX

Broken In
krisjr said:
hi,
well now u have confused me a little.what about intel chipsets.Nvidia,MSI,ATI- are they compatible with intel...Intel 925 mobos- how is it.

These cards are compatible with both processors.. In all my experience, I have never come across cards from trusty manufacturers conflicting btw AMD and Intel platforms.. or any platform for that matter...

Hope this solves your problem..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom