Help me to fix my Overheating Laptop

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
My Acer laptop(specs in sig) bought in May 2011 has developed overheating problems(the kind where the pc overheats and shuts down to prevent damage to its components)
these overheat-and-shutdown problems started in January 2012 when my laptop used to overheat and shutdown after 2 hours of heavy gaming.and it has grown progressively worse ever since
now it has come to the point where i cannot even play low spec games like battlefield 2 or flash games on facebook.without my laptop shutting down in 10 mins.
i plan to change the thermal paste in the CPU and GPU in the hopes of fixing the overheating problem
i have also downloaded the Service Manual

so can someone help me with the steps related to opening-up my Laptop and reapplying TiM on my CPU?
also what should i use to clean old dried up thermal paste/pads on my CPU?
what new thermal paste should i get? is CoolerMaster IC Essential E1 alright?
should i use the thermal grease cleaner bundled with the thermal paste?

Please Answer

Vignesh B

Youngling
This video might help you.

2. Use any alcohol based solution. Dip a cotton swab in it, make sure that t is not dripping wet, just a small amount is enough. Recommended solution is iso-propyl alcohol. But I have used shaving lotion(Alcohol denat) and it works perfectly fine. :p After cleaning the eld TIM, let it evaporate for a few minutes, before applying the new TIM.

3. I have used DC Z9 and it worked perfectly fine. Earlier I have used Arctic silver, but that was thermal conducive. Haven't used the CM one, so can't comment on it.

4. Should be fine. Again, since I have not used it, so can't comment.

This video might help you.

2. Use any alcohol based solution. Dip a cotton swab in it, make sure that t is not dripping wet, just a small amount is enough. Recommended solution is iso-propyl alcohol. But I have used shaving lotion(Alcohol denat) and it works perfectly fine. :p After cleaning the eld TIM, let it evaporate for a few minutes, before applying the new TIM.

3. I have used DC Z9 and it worked perfectly fine. Earlier I have used Arctic silver, but that was thermal conducive. Haven't used the CM one, so can't comment on it.

4. Should be fine. Again, since I have not used it, so can't comment.
Perfect solution. Use only iso-propyl alcohol for cleaning. And be very very careful, these laptops are pretty nasty to open and re-assemble. And get a laptop cooler too.

Vignesh B

Youngling
Alright,where do i get iso-propyl alcohol?
apart from chemical suppliers that is
All these.
I said about shaving lotion, because denat alcohol's chemical properties are "almost" similar to iso-propyl alcohol and is usually readily available in every one's house. For me at least, it works fine enough. Still iso-propyl alcohol is the best.
PS : Some shaving lotions also contain iso-propyl alcohol mostly in 70-80% concentration.

All these.
I said about shaving lotion, because denat alcohol's chemical properties are "almost" similar to iso-propyl alcohol and is usually readily available in every one's house. For me at least, it works fine enough. Still iso-propyl alcohol is the best.
PS : Some shaving lotions also contain iso-propyl alcohol mostly in 70-80% concentration.
Anything below 98% is not recommended for cleaning electronics. Stuff other than iso-propyl available at medics and cell phone repair shops have stufss like fragrance in them which may not be suitable for application on electronics.

Stick with pure (99%) isoproply alcohol.

OP
CommanderShawnzer

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Anything below 98% is not recommended for cleaning electronics. Stuff other than iso-propyl available at medics and cell phone repair shops have stufss like fragrance in them which may not be suitable for application on electronics.

Stick with pure (99%) isoproply alcohol.

If at a medic/mobile store,should i ask for just "iso-propyl Alcohol" or is there any hindi word for it?

If at a medic/mobile store,should i ask for just "iso-propyl Alcohol" or is there any hindi word for it?
At medic shop, first ask for "iso propyl aclohol", if the guy doesn't understand it, then ask for "rubbing alcohol". At mobile shops, ask for "mobile circit saaf kane vala liquid". Better ask at mobile shop first, they have 99% purity stuff. At my place, 1 bottle costs Rs.80

OP
CommanderShawnzer

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
i plan to use Artic Silver 5 coz there's no reviews about the CM TiM
But i found this on the official site
Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.
Does this mean that i cannot use my laptop for 200 hours :shock:?
and what does "curing" mean in relation to thermal paste?
after applying Artic Silver 5 can i start up my Laptop and start playing games?

i plan to use Artic Silver 5 coz there's no reviews about the CM TiM
But i found this on the official site

Does this mean that i cannot use my laptop for 200 hours :shock:?
and what does "curing" mean in relation to thermal paste?
after applying Arctic Silver 5 can i start up my Laptop and start playing games?

> AS5 contains micronized silver of different sizes for maximum particle to particle contact.
> Once you've applied the paste on the CPU, those micronized particles start to vibrate with cpu's heat.
> Due to this vibration, the bigger particles go down, sending the smaller ones to the top.
> This is essential as the CPU's heat spreader's surface is more smooth and even than a heat sink's surface.
> So, due to this movement of particles, there will be maximum contact between TIM & CPU and TIM & heat sink, thus resulting in a better heat flow.
> This process is known is curing.
> In a nutshell, curing is the setting of TIM's particles in the desired way, to allow maximum inter-particle contact, resulting in the best heat flow possible.

> In case of AS5, curing may take 200 hours; or longer in case of a laptop.
> this doesn't mean that you cannot use you laptop for 200 hours.
> In fact, I would suggest you tio do moderate gamin for first 2 days, then do full baddass kickass stuff which heats the cpu like hell; or simple run Prime95 for an hour a few times a day.
> This helps reduce the curing time of the TIM.

> Some benchmarkers run Prime95 for 1 week straight non stop to further reduce the curing period.

Sorry if I was too technical above, but I wanted to explain this to someone from a long long time :p :p

OP
CommanderShawnzer

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
> AS5 contains micronized silver of different sizes for maximum particle to particle contact.
> Once you've applied the paste on the CPU, those micronized particles start to vibrate with cpu's heat.
> Due to this vibration, the bigger particles go down, sending the smaller ones to the top.
> This is essential as the CPU's heat spreader's surface is more smooth and even than a heat sink's surface.
> So, due to this movement of particles, there will be maximum contact between TIM & CPU and TIM & heat sink, thus resulting in a better heat flow.
> This process is known is curing.
> In a nutshell, curing is the setting of TIM's particles in the desired way, to allow maximum inter-particle contact, resulting in the best heat flow possible.

> In case of AS5, curing may take 200 hours; or longer in case of a laptop.
> this doesn't mean that you cannot use you laptop for 200 hours.
> In fact, I would suggest you tio do moderate gamin for first 2 days, then do full baddass kickass stuff which heats the cpu like hell; or simple run Prime95 for an hour a few times a day.
> This helps reduce the curing time of the TIM.

> Some benchmarkers run Prime95 for 1 week straight non stop to further reduce the curing period.

Sorry if I was too technical above, but I wanted to explain this to someone from a long long time :p :p

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
silk works the best.

if your mom/sister/granny has a silk saree, thats the best source :p

PS: the author will not be responsible for any kind of physical harm that may result from the above process. :D :D

OP
CommanderShawnzer

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
OKay,If i find old melted thermal pads on the CPU.GPU,should i remove it or keep it on? I can't get new thermal pads or copper shims.

OP
CommanderShawnzer

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
Which kind of stores keep Lint-Free cloth?(Optic stores? Photography stores?) what should i ask them for?(like can i say give me lint-free cloth,or is it called something else?)
I also had got a green cloth with my new LCD TV is that Lint-Free cloth?(It says "Polishing Cloth" on its wrapper)
And also this
OKay,If i find old melted thermal pads on the CPU.GPU,should i remove it or keep it on? I can't get new thermal pads or copper shims.

Vignesh B

Youngling
Lint free clothes are commonly provided with spectacles, screen guards etc. Yes, you might find them in optic stores.
A google image search of lint free cloth will remind you what it really is.
If you go the desi way, ask the shopkeeper to give "woh lens saaf karne waala kapda" :p

Top Bottom