Help me set up a FM station

Status
Not open for further replies.

napster007

Padawan
hello frieds,
i have a problem to which i hope i'll i find the solution with your help. I'm an engg student, and i want to set up a FM radio frequency in my campus which is roughly of 5km radius. i want to be able to play songs and host talk shows etc. but nothing so hifi, after all its just for the college.

i want to know how i should proceed for doing so. I have many questions, ergo

1.) what all equipment should i need? (how many transmitters etc)
2.) what will be the initial cost of the set up? (to the bare minimum)
3.) what all should i be aware of to set it up? (should i have prior knoledge of stuff?)

please help me out with this, i'm really hoping i can start my station by the fall semester

thanks a ton

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Are you an ECE student? I applaud your interest and enthusiasm, but it's not a simple as you may think.

The biggest hurdle may be getting a public broadcast licence. Different countries have different laws regarding radio broadcasts and I don't know what the present situation is for India, but practically all countries have very strict regulations. Regulations are very complex and are categorized according to frequency, type of transmission, power, application, etc etc.

As a rough guide, unlicensed transmissions are supposed to be limited to a range of about 30 metres. This is not an official figure and different limits are set for different types of transmission. It's only intended to give you some idea of what you can do without a licence.

To answer your questions briefly -

1) Basically, you need a transmitter-modulator, a music player, a microphone and a mixing console. Only one transmitter is needed for a limited area.

2) Cost? Hard to say. The transmitter will have to be a commercial model that has passed stringent tests for frequency stability, bandwidth, harmonics, radiated power and so on. It will not be cheap. You cannot just rig up a crude transmitter and start broadcasting.

3) In theory, you don't have to know all the engineering stuff in detail to operate a station, but you should have a broad general concept. The rest is about managing the program.

OP
napster007

napster007

Padawan
thanks ur support, appreciate it. however plz help me out with a few more details.

1.) where to buy the hardware from?
2.) where can i learn to set this cofig up? do u happen to knw any website which demos it?

OP
napster007

napster007

Padawan
thanks ur support, appreciate it. however plz help me out with a few more details.

1.) where to buy the hardware from?
2.) where can i learn to set this cofig up? do u happen to knw any website which demos it?

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
spend some time with google......u'll definitely get some crude info.........!!!

I remember, in Nokia N87(dont remember the model exactly) there is radio broadcaster, one of my friend broadcast songs on an unused frequency and we all listen to it by our phones by setting to that frequency but on a very limited range (it was in our cab).....!!!

I must say very intersting query.......post here if u got ur queries resolved.......!!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom