help me - machine hanging like hell - vendor help less

Status
Not open for further replies.

amit_arya

Broken In
help me - machine hanging like hell - vendor help less

first machine specs , as per to details by sisoftsandra 2005 plus my comments :) ->

Processor -> 1x intel (R) Pentium (r) 4 CPU 2.40Ghz
l2 on-board cache - 1mb , ECC sycronous , ATC , 8-way set , 64 line size , 2 lines per sector
microcode -> MUoF330B
In Nehru place terms pIV 2.4 prescott

Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd 8I845GERZ
or Gigabyte D845GE-Premium as known at Nehru Place
FSB - > 4*134 Mhz
Total memory -> 512DDR

OS -> Ms Windows Xp/2002 Pro. (win32 X86) 5.01.2600 (Service pack 2)

general work done on machine
1-> Adobe Photoshop /Corel draw work from College/Institute
2-> General net surfing /messengers / emails
3-> Listening to Music from Raga / smashits sites

Softwares installed for security
Nortan Internet Security , Norton Anivirus , Ms Antispyware Beta

The problem ->
Machine random hang.... most of the times a hard reset machine boots fine but hangs again with in 15 minutes. let the machine off for 15 minutes and boot the machine. machine more stable (wont hang in 15 minutes but will hang later on as per to its wish).

Usually if i boot the machine and do not work on it. it wont hang even after 3hours.. some times gives cool 3-4hrs of working troublelessly. but most of the time you do some Heavy work (say 1/2 - 1hour on photoshop while listening to music online) it Simply hangs

Already done/checked ->
1-> Replaced the systems RAM with other working one from my other comp... the problem persist
2-> run MemTest86 for around 45minutes... no error detected
3-> Checked CPU temperature just after Hang from Bios it is below 50C
4-> Formatted machine over 5 times , with 2/3 different OS CDs , problem persists
5-> No entry of Hang/Crash what so ever in event viewr

Vendor solution
1-> Machine did not hanged in 2 days.. was on for most of the time
2-> Try disabling Processor cache from BIOS. (i was not able to do so, as no such option in BIOS)
3-> Do not install intel Application Accelerator.. I stopped installing that from Driver CD
4-> As a test only he asked me not to install norton Antivirus, it changes/currupts a few required files which might hanging your computer ... I did not installed antivirus/NIS during last format and the machine hanged the very same day
5-> He tried to change the PS once with a repaired PS that he had.. the machine hanged during the driver installation of that format.. on that he said it might be because of faulty PS as it was a repaired one.......

Please advice me how to go about now.... of the 2 months of ownership this machine was switched off in my house for 3 weeks and has spent 2 weeks at Nehru Place but no avail.

What could be fault in the machine.
my suspect in decreasing order -> motherboard / CHIP , PS , Heat
You know the Guys at Nehru Place how to get the stuff going..???

supernova

Mr. S Nova
Have another simple test:

-> Try runnig the PC with cabinet open in an airy room. With this test, you may be able to check wether heat is the culprit.

Do this and lemme know the result.

OP
A

amit_arya

Broken In
Well. when i had formatted the machine at the vendors shop... the cabinet was open and at that time too the machine hanged..... so i do not think heat is the culprit..... i will try your suggestion again and let you know...

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
well recently same thing happened to me
but dunno if this one is as same as mine
the culpurit was a "LOOSE CPU HEATSINK FAN"
so did you check the fan

OP
A

amit_arya

Broken In
The vendor had once tried and replace/removed the white grease between the CPU & fan saying that if it tried up the cpu gets HOT. can you please suggest me that if the Motherboard is sensing temperature at around 45-55C while working and showing Heatsing fan speed to be around 3500rpm could it be this case???? How do i test if its teh heat sink in my case

teknoPhobia

t3h g04t
never never attach a heatsink without the compound..drastically decreases efficiency...this prob is most likely a heat issue.. rplace fan and heatsink combo then check

suave_guy

pedal to metal
i strongly suspect that there's lot of spyare, adware programs and malicious registry entries being installed on ur computer illegally whenever u surf net...they generally make machines too slow and rapid machine hangs is also a common thing...

install Ad-Aware SE software from digit dvd to track these programs and infected registry entries...and see if it solves the prob...

also install a firewall software..

ENjoy...

khandu

In the zone
i had the same problem with my P4 2.8 Ghz HT.. and just got my heatsink fan changed 3 hrs ago.. and its working like a baby..

i suspect that due to heavy usage and heating ur RPM of heatsink fan has dropped ..

just change it .. it will work.. just costed me 400 bucks..

OP
A

amit_arya

Broken In
suave_guy said:
i strongly suspect that there's lot of spyare, adware programs and malicious registry entries being installed on ur computer illegally whenever u surf net...they generally make machines too slow and rapid machine hangs is also a common thing...

install Ad-Aware SE software from digit dvd to track these programs and infected registry entries...and see if it solves the prob...

also install a firewall software..

ENjoy...
No spyware / adware checked that with Microsoft antispyware with latest definations :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom