Help me in installing application in Linux through GUI.

Minion

Conversation Architect
Guys,
I am new to linux can somebody explain me how to install softwares in linux using GUI.One more doubt which Linux distro supports maximum no of commands after redhat Since it is commercial I can't use it does SUSE supports commands like redhat?
I need to learn linux administration.and since I have a old Athon Xp 2400+ pc with integrated VIA pro savage IGP which linux distro will run flawlessly on it? Will it run HD movies with software decoding alone?

kisame

King of Heroes
Guys,
I am new to linux can somebody explain me how to install softwares in linux using GUI.One more doubt which Linux distro supports maximum no of commands after redhat Since it is commercial I can't use it does SUSE supports commands like redhat?
I need to learn linux administration.and since I have a old Athon Xp 2400+ pc with integrated VIA pro savage IGP which linux distro will run flawlessly on it? Will it run HD movies with software decoding alone?
Each distro has a package manager of its own.Ubuntu and Mint have synaptic,
opensuse has yast2,etc.Just google for the distro.

Each distro has linux kernel.So all support basic commands associated with kernel.
The more command line utilities u have installed,the more commands at your disposal.So a lightweight distro will have less commands as opposed a full distro.
Since you are referring to red hat,I would recommend to go with fedora or centOS.OpenSUSE is also a good choice.As for HD movies I think it should do fine though I could be wrong.

OP
M

Minion

Conversation Architect
Each distro has a package manager of its own.Ubuntu and Mint have synaptic,
opensuse has yast2,etc.Just google for the distro.

Thanks mate could you provide me some links how to install software in SUSE.I found open SUSE to be very user friendly.

Can somebody clear my doubt will i able to run HD movies on SUSE?If possible through which player?

Last edited:

kisame

King of Heroes
Thanks mate could you provide me some links how to install software in SUSE.I found open SUSE to be very user friendly.
Can somebody clear my doubt will i able to run HD movies on SUSE?If possible through which player?
YaST Software Management - openSUSE

Anish

Spectre
@Minion:
If you want to learn using commands to install in openSUSE, you have the zypper utility. Google for zypper commands.
For example, to install vlc, you have to type
Code:
sudo zypper in vlc
Thats it :)

OP
M

Minion

Conversation Architect
when I install vlc through 1 click install
it shows me error there are some conflict on transaction that must be solved manually
says nothing provides libpostproc.so.51()(64bit) needed by vlc-noX-1.1.13-4.2.x86_64
and provide me 2 options
1)Donot install vlc-noX-1.1.13-4.2.x86_64
2)Break vlc-Nox by ignoring some of its dependencies

Now I am stuck with these errors while installing VLC on open Suse 11.2 Guys what does this error? how can i solve it?
any one....

Last edited:

Piyush

Lanaya
when I install vlc through 1 click install
it shows me error there are some conflict on transaction that must be solved manually
says nothing provides libpostproc.so.51()(64bit) needed by vlc-noX-1.1.13-4.2.x86_64
and provide me 2 options
1)Donot install vlc-noX-1.1.13-4.2.x86_64
2)Break vlc-Nox by ignoring some of its dependencies

Now I am stuck with these errors while installing VLC on open Suse 11.2 Guys what does this error? how can i solve it?
any one....

can you post the exact error box

Anish

Spectre
Dude, did you try it this way?
Code:
sudo zypper ar *download.videolan.org/pub/vlc/SuSE/<openSUSEversion> VLC
sudo zypper mr -r VLC
sudo zypper in vlc

Anish

Spectre
^^^ Well can you share what desktop environment are you using?
and concerning the dependencies, just add the repository using the "sudo zypper ar" command (the first line of the above code) and then, open up yast->software manager-> in that, on the left side, select patterns and then your desktop, then in the search, type vlc, and vlc must be listed. now, tick the vlc and click accept. And this way, your dependencies will also be installed automatically

Regards,
Anish

OP
M

Minion

Conversation Architect
^^^ Well can you share what desktop environment are you using?
and concerning the dependencies, just add the repository using the "sudo zypper ar" command (the first line of the above code) and then, open up yast->software manager-> in that, on the left side, select patterns and then your desktop, then in the search, type vlc, and vlc must be listed. now, tick the vlc and click accept. And this way, your dependencies will also be installed automatically

Regards,
Anish

Thanks anish followed your instructions but :shock:do i have to download around 600mb file only to install VLC.

Anish

Spectre
Well, may be your system lacks any useful compilers/lib-components/system-updates. What dependency does it shows?
BTW, what version of openSUSE are you using?

OP
M

Minion

Conversation Architect
I am using Open SUSE 11.2 and using it in virtualbox just to learn basics of linux.So i am going to reinstall this and see what options it is providing for 3rd party softwares.

Anish

Spectre
I am using Open SUSE 11.2 and using it in virtualbox just to learn basics of linux.So i am going to reinstall this and see what options it is providing for 3rd party softwares.

May be because of this, vlc wants lots of dependencies. But if you have suse installed in hdd, vlc installs smoothly. without large dependencies.

OP
M

Minion

Conversation Architect
UBUNTU 11.10 is much better and is easier to use So for time being I am keep both SUSE and Ubuntu in virtualbox.

Anish

Spectre
Well, everyone has different taste right? If you like ubuntu, better stick with it and get familiar with it more before moving to another distro.
Good luck.

Top Bottom