Help me decide between Huawei Ideos X5 Pro And Ascend G300 (Also Case & Scratch Guard)

andysmith45

Broken In
I am looking for an Android phone under 12k and after reading lots of reviews and user comments on various websites it seems that the Huawei Ideos X5 Pro and the Huawei Ascend G300 are the best options within my budget. The Huawei X5 Pro plays HD videos as well as record in HD, has a more powerful gpu & battery but there seems to be no ICS updates on the Huawei Indian website. On the other hand the G300 has a larger 4" IPS display, is very popular in UK, has ICS update on Huawei Indian website, is better looking and seems to take better photos than the X5 Pro. But it has a weaker battery and gpu, cannot play HD videos, cannot record in HD, has a very low loudspeaker volume and Huawei doesn't seem to have uploaded the fix on its Indian website.

I am not considering the Sony Xperia Tipo because of its small display, Sony Xperia U because of its 4GB user memory and I don't want any Micromax, Spice, Karbonn, Lava etc. phones. Motorola Defy Plus seems to be out of stock and besides being more than my budget, there is a question mark over its service support now that Motorola is leaving India.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
my friend recently bought G300 and for 3k difference, it makes sense to go for G300 than X5 Pro. I guess HD video can be played but HD video recording is not possible.

OP
A

andysmith45

Broken In
@Sam: Could you ask your friend if his G300 suffer from very low speaker volume. And is there any lag when using the phone?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ replied
Yes, there is a low speakers volume problem when on call. But that's not a fault. Actually "dual mic" should be turned off. And there is a *# code to access the dual mic settings which can be done easily.
And as far as lags are concerned, the device is buttery smooth. I haven't seen any lag till now. No random reboots, etc. No matter how many apps you run simultaneously.

OP
A

andysmith45

Broken In
Re: Help me decide between Huawei Ideos X5 Pro And Ascend G300 (Also Case & Scratch Guard)

Thanks for the info. The main reason why I was inclined towards the X5 pro was due to its ability to record HD videos and also due to the low loudspeaker volume on the G300.

Well, I rechecked the HD video recording samples of the X5 from youtube and I was not really impressed with the quality. Not much difference with the 480p videos of the G300. And with the fix for the low loudspeaker volume on the G300 available, I have more or less decided to get the G300.

Could you find out from your friend if the G300 plays 720p mp4 videos downloaded from youtube smoothly? Also what case and screen protector should I get for it?

One more thing, does the G300 gets hot quickly?

Can I use 'SanDisk Memory Card Mobile Ultra 16 GB Class 10' with the G300?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Re: Help me decide between Huawei Ideos X5 Pro And Ascend G300 (Also Case & Scratch Guard)

Could you find out from your friend if the G300 plays 720p mp4 videos downloaded from youtube smoothly?

asked him that day but he don't use it for watching videos. crappy EDGE speed.

Also what case and screen protector should I get for it?

screen guard is sufficient.

One more thing, does the G300 gets hot quickly?

most of these Android get hot only if you game or while charging.

Can I use 'SanDisk Memory Card Mobile Ultra 16 GB Class 10' with the G300?

yes you can or simply use Class4-6 card. You need class10 card if you try recording FullHD video which is not possible in G300.

OP
A

andysmith45

Broken In

Thanks for the info and advice. I had already ordered the sandisk 16Gb class10 card a few days back. It doesn't matter as I probably would continue to use it when I upgrade to a better phone sometime next year.

This is going to be my first touchscreen phone. Do they get damage easily when drop?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
no. i have dropped by mobile like 8-10 times and fully functional. that doesn't mean it'll remain in 1 piece if you give it a hard drop on concrete ;)

Pranav19

Broken In
depends on size of phone i have dropped my galaxy 5 many times no prblms.. screen's crack free.. g300 having a large screen you need to take care though

lr7745

Broken In
CM10 (JB) is out:cool: for the G300 (with a few bugs, obv), check it out here, looks sweet.... Gonna get it myself in December.... Anyone know where I can get a list of Huawei dealers in Kolkata/ any shop which stocks Huawei devices?

lr7745

Broken In
Found a better working version of CM9, too. Looks like they're fixing up the CM9 first before releasing CM10. Explains the long time with no updates for CM10.
The amount of activity in the Modaco forum makes me baffled as to why there isn't a forum for the G300 on xda......

Last edited:

bhushan2k

Genius in making mistakes
But modaco forum is paid service if m not wrong.. Tried to register but they asked payment options before registering.. :-( though I haven't opened that site from pc to see it properly... ;-)

lr7745

Broken In
No, there are 3 types of membership. Free, and two different types of paid. Don't know about paid, free works just fine for me. You have to skip the payment part as far as I remember....

Top Bottom