Help me choose an atom based netbook

blademast3r

In the zone
Hey guys

I currently own a laptop , but i need to carry it regularly so i thought i'd go for a netbook.
First off.. Is a netbook enough to run and compile x86 codes using vc++??

The factors im looking at are

1)Battery life
2)2GB RAM
3)Good durable design as I'll be carrying it around regularly.
4)Price of around 20k

So what are my options?

Also how much would i get for old acer aspire 4710 lappy??

Cilus

laborare est orare
Well, within 20k, it is very hard to find a Net-book with 2 GB DDR3 ram. You have to increase your budget to 1 or 2k. I have two choice for you.

My Recommendation is
HP Mini 210-1117TU
The configuration is
Atom 450,
10.1" HD LED Display,
2GB DDR2,
320GB, Audio:Generic,Stereo,
Speakers:Generic,Stereo,
802.11b/g Lan,
WiFi,
Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone,
93% Full size island-style keyboard,
Bluetooth, 6 Cell,
Win 7 Starter,
Size:268 mm X 178 mm X 22.9 mm

Price is around 21.7k. The Atom processor present in this machine is the latest gen processor, having GPU and PCI Express bus integrated in the CPU, resulting very less power requirement.

Alternatively, you can also go for
Lenovo 59 045023 Netbook (Atom 1GB 160GB)
Intel Atom Processor N475 (512K Cache, 1.83 GHz),
1G DDR3 (667MHz),
160G (9.5mm, 5400rpm),
Intel GMA 3150 Graphics,
LAN,
BCM 4313 BGN,
Bluetooth 2.1,
Camera 1.3M,
4-in-1 card reader,
Black,
6Cell 2.2A Battery,
Free DOS, Black Color,
10.1 SD LED Glare

Price 17k
You can add another one GB DDR3 ram @ 2k (max) to make it a 2 GB one and still within your 20k budget. It is little better as it is having DDR3 ram and 1.83 GHz processor, compared to the 1.66GHz processor, present in most of the laptops.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
^^

netbooks cannot be upgraded.. :)
---------

to the OP: another option wud be netbooks from

ASUS 1005px -- Rs. 15.5K,
MSi u100 -- Rs. 14k,
Acer D260 -- Rs. 16.2k

OP
blademast3r

blademast3r

In the zone
Thanks Clius! Will take a look at lenovo.. So u say 1.66GHZ atom 450 2GB ram is slower than a 1.83GHZ atom 475 with 1GB ddr3??

Also can someone clarify if visual studio 2008 runs fine on an atom?

mavihs

Techie By Heart
if your not in a hurry wait till fusion arrives!

VS will run but will be slow in compiling!

OP
blademast3r

blademast3r

In the zone
Fusion is meant to integrate the GPU with ur CPU rite? I dont care abt graphics for my netbook. For that I have a phenom and HD5770 powered gaming rig :p

Cilus

laborare est orare
1st of all, the RAM of a netbook can be upgraded easily. Do a little Google and you will find thousands of ways to upgrade the ram. The laptop, I have suggested, in their specification it is clearly mentioned that they are upgradable up to 2 GB.
Ask the vendor, from whom you are buying the laptop, to increase the RAm.

OP
blademast3r

blademast3r

In the zone
hmmm...cool.. Is it really worth going for netbook? The only attractive feature for me is light weight and battery life.. Is is THAT slow?

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
search for a single core pentium 4 PC and do your work on it. You will get a rough idea about a netbooks performance.

mavihs

Techie By Heart
Fusion is meant to integrate the GPU with ur CPU rite? I dont care abt graphics for my netbook. For that I have a phenom and HD5770 powered gaming rig :p

its not all about the GPU, its also about a much better CPU then the Atom with better power consumption!

Therapist

Broken In
netbooks cannot be upgraded.. :)
Not really. You can upgrade them with their Mini PCI-E expansion slots, this is excluding Lenovo and Sony products, which have locked these slots. I bought a HP Mini 110 with an HD screen and purchased a Broadcom Crystal HD (Mini PCI-E) decoder for Rs 1000 shipped off Ebay (Hong Kong). I can now run 10GB+ Full-HD (1080p) m2ts and MKV movies liquid smooth with just over 10% CPU utilisation.

By the way, netbooks with dual core Atom 550 processors are out elsewhere in the first world. Makes sense to wait for the same.

*i.imgur.com/bp3jJ.jpg

Blademast3r said:
First off.. Is a netbook enough to run and compile x86 codes using vc++??
Compiling isn't recommended with the Atom processor. It took me an inordinately long time (several hours) to compile the source code of a custom XBMC build integrating Crystal HD support on Ubuntu. But it's awesome as a download rig, for entertainment, work and websurfing.

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Try to find a Toshiba T235D-S1340 instead of going for a Netbook. It should be priced around 23k.

Here are the specs: *laptops.toshiba.com/laptops/satellite/T230/T235D-S1340

Last edited:

tejaslok

Journeyman
im also thinking abt gettin a netbook my budget is around 16 k to 17 k and i dont need windows as i already have 3 genuine OS, will boot that so any thing except Acer will do! will wait for replies ty

Top Bottom