help me choose a pc config

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooki

Broken In
picking up a new pc. still dunno what cpu and mobo to get.
quad core will be future proof but is it worth the extra money?
is there a lot of diff between a e2160/e4500/e8200 and a q6600 for normal multitasking and apps?

my 2 choices are :

1-
e2160 or e4500 cpu
intel 945gc chipset
nvidia 8600gt xfx
2 gig ddr2 transend ram
160gb hdd
zebronics cabinet... i have a good ibm PSU 500w

2-
quadcore q6600
intel dg33fb chipset
nvidia8600gt xfx
2 gig ddr2 ram
250gb hdd
zebronics cabinet etc...

i normally would take the quadcore hands down cuz i usually dont change my comp that often. but is it really worth the extra 10k?
how much diff in performance will i see between the e2160/e4500 and the quad for normal vista usage?
my old p4 2.8 could not multi task all that well, will a e2160 be a big improvement?
i want the q6600 but i what i do not know is if its worth the extra money. will the e2160 last me 2 years? i dont overclock that much, but i might try it just alil bit.

amitash

Intel OCer
if u dont want to upgrade for a long time the quad wud be better...and u can get the abit ip35e mobo its very good

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
go for option 2 !
Few changes though...
Abit ip35e or P35 Neo Combo Mainboard
Replace XFX by MSI/Evga. Btw, i wouldnt really suggest to go with 8600GT! :x Instead go with HD 3650 or HD 3850 from ATi. Far better than poor 8600GT!
Replace Zebby cabinet with a CoolerMaster Elite one! Better in cooling and comparatively silent too.
See, Q6600 is all worth the money, whether u overclock it or not! Anyday better than a E2160 ! :p

OP
K

kooki

Broken In
thanks for ur replies guys.
looks like the 2nd option with the modification seems really good.
my budget is a little tight but i dont mind spending a little more if it really excells in performance....
on the other hand, my usage is surfing the net, listening to music, few movies, downloads.... a game here n there. nothing really intensive if u ask me, but little multi tasking.if there is a real boost in performance in the quad while doing these tasks, then i might as well go for it. if an e2160 works the same way in doing these things, then is it worth paying the extra 10k for the 2 extra cores which may or maynot be used properly.

OP
K

kooki

Broken In
my budget is a little tight... but if paying 10k more for a quad processor really makes a BIG visible diff. then i dont mind investing in it. im no hardcore gamer, nor do i encode vids etc...
normal usage with general multi tasking. games like warcraft,cs, movies etc..
windows vista with dream scene ( which uses cpu) surfing blah blah...
if the e4500 gives similar performance to the q6600 for these kind of tasks, then why spend 10k for something which wont be used properly.... on the other hand, if the quad out performs the duals in daily regular usage, then i dont mind the investement

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
See investing in Quad means u are making ur machine future proof! Regarding the performance and overclockability, i think Quad is better than E4500! E8400 is an exception then! :p
Look, if u have tight budget, then simply go for E4500. No problems at all. Conroes are better for the moment and will be for few more years. So, considering daily usage, E4500 should be appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom