Help me choose. 560 ti vs HD 7850

darkrider99

Broken In
I am considering the following models. In a dilemma of which one to chose.

MSI GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr II 1 or 2 GB somehwere around 17,000/-
EVGA GTX 560 ti Superclocked 1 GB 16,885/-

Sapphire HD 7850 2GB 16,650/-
MSI R7850 Power Edition 2GB 17,600/-

Nvidia 560 ti because....well its Nvidia. CUDA,PhysX and better video encoding.

HD 7850 because its a newer model with a different and updated architecture.

OR should i just wait for Nvidia 660 ti, can we hope the price will be aroung 15-18K ??

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
HD 7850 over GTX 560 Ti anyday. HD 7850 is faster in every game. Uses half the power. HD 7850 is also faster in compute using OpenCL. So, GTX 560 Ti having CUDA doesn't make much sense when it is overall slow in compute. HD 7850 is infact close to GTX 680 in compute and HD 7870 is faster than GTX 680 in compute. PhysX is a gimmick - only ~4 games use it.

Compared to GTX 560 Ti, HD 7850 has better video encoding.

Difference between GTX 460/HD 6870 video encoding quality. GTX 560 pretty same architecture of GTX 460.

*images.anandtech.com/reviews/cpu/intel/sandybridge/review/quicksync/quantumofsolace/gtx460.jpg
*images.anandtech.com/reviews/cpu/intel/sandybridge/review/quicksync/darkknight/gtx460.jpg

GTX 460.

*images.anandtech.com/reviews/cpu/intel/sandybridge/review/quicksync/quantumofsolace/6870.jpg
*images.anandtech.com/reviews/cpu/intel/sandybridge/review/quicksync/darkknight/6870.jpg

HD 6870.

You can wait for GTX 660 if you want to. But even if it is launched within two weeks, it will take a month to get in India. It has a dedicated video encoder which is good. BUT if you have a Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge PC, it is of no use.

OP
D

darkrider99

Broken In
Thanks for the info, i think i might go for MSI R7850. If you have any other suggestions in the same price range, let me know.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
GIGABYTE GV-R785OC-2GD i.e. HD 7850 @ 975 Mhz is available here for 15.5K.

GV-R785OC-2GD GIGABYTE HD Experience Series

Much more value-for-money than your prices.

OP
D

darkrider99

Broken In
as of now the site says its unavailable, and also i went through tons of reviews of 7850 and gigabyte has a lot of problems.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dunno. Some people have it here. Apart from fan noise, they don't really have anything else to complain.

Anyways, look for cheaper prices.

OP
D

darkrider99

Broken In
I did consider Sapphire as one of my option. But in India OC version isn't available. So leaning towards MSI which is factory OCed.

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
I did consider Sapphire as one of my option. But in India OC version isn't available. So leaning towards MSI which is factory OCed.

basically the oc version is just a 60MHZ bump hard coded in a new bios
and it seems like i got the non oc version but out of the box gpu-z showed its the OC version...so u can take the plunge...

OP
D

darkrider99

Broken In
basically the oc version is just a 60MHZ bump hard coded in a new bios
and it seems like i got the non oc version but out of the box gpu-z showed its the OC version...so u can take the plunge...

Lucky for you. Where did you get this and how much did it cost you ? And how is the performance ? What games do you play ?

OP
D

darkrider99

Broken In
pretty much everything goes ok in full hd....maxed out....
got it from kolkata....

i came across users of HD 7850 who are facing driver issues, few them them have even exchanged their cards for Nvidia coz they are not able to deal with the issue. How big is this driver issue ?

Any users here, please shed some light

the_conqueror

Ambassador of Buzz
I never found any issue, running it since 2 months. Using catalyst 12.3. It was just once when driver crashed but it recovered automatically in a fraction of seconds.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
i came across users of HD 7850 who are facing driver issues, few them them have even exchanged their cards for Nvidia coz they are not able to deal with the issue. How big is this driver issue ?

Any users here, please shed some light
What issue are you talking about? If you want to buy the card, then just buy it. No need to be paranoid.

No driver issues whatsoever. I'm using HD 6950 here. :)

Sapphire HD 7850 obviously, mentioned in my sig. I already told ya that i've been using it since 2 months.
Your signature is disabled, I think. :p

OP
D

darkrider99

Broken In
What issue are you talking about? If you want to buy the card, then just buy it. No need to be paranoid.

No driver issues whatsoever. I'm using HD 6950 here. :)

Your signature is disabled, I think. :p

Chill man, i am not being paranoid, just trying to find out as much info as i can before i make an investment of 16-19k , which is not a small amount right ?

Anyways thanks a lot everyone. i will post once i order my card. Most probably it will be Sapphire. :-D

Top Bottom