Help me build an HTPC for 30k

ashish1224

Broken In
Hi all and thanks for all the support you have given me in the past. This time I am building an HTPC. I will also need it for some casual gaming, Age Of Empires III must run fine on it.
I already have a 500GB HDD and a UPS.

Here are all the components that I need:

Monitor: I would go for some 24" lcd if it fits my budget.:razz: But please recommend an lcd which does not have any problem such as pixel dying.

CPU, Motherboard and RAM: I will use this system for some programming and browsing at most. So I guess I don't need very powerful CPU. And I don't care if its an AMD or Intel as long as its the best bang for bucks.

Graphics Card: Well as I said I need if to be good enough for some casual gaming. AoE 3 must run well on it.

Internal TV tuner card: Suggest me something which is good enough for my screen size and nothing more.

Speakers: I have decided on Altec Lensing vs2421 @2.2k. Please see if it is a good choice.

cabinet and SMPS : A normal full size cabinet is ok.:-o

All sort of suggestions are welcome. And thanks in advance.

---------- Post added at 04:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 AM ----------

Well I am a bit confused whether I should go for an HTPC or an Xbox 360 or PS3. With a gaming console I will have to buy a monitor too. So PS3 is clearly out of my reach for now at 26k. Xbox 360 Arcade does not have any hard disk so I wont go for it either. Xbox 360 Elite seems to be the only option other than the HTPC.
And will I be able to browse the web on Xbox?

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 635 - 5k
Motherboard: Biostar TA785G3 - 3.8k
RAM: Corsair VS 1333 Mhz 2 GB DDR3 - 2.6k
Gfx Card: ATI Radeon HD 5570 1 GB - 5.5k
SMPS: FSP Saga II 500W - 2.8k
Cabinet: Zebronics Bijli (without SMPS) - 1.2k (You may go for a better looking cabinet for an HTPC, bijli is good for mid range gaming PCs)
TV Tuner Card: Pinnacle - 1.5k
Speakers: 2.2k (not giving any particular suggestions, but you can have a look at Logitech's range, they are good looking and will suit an HTPC)
Monitor: BenQ 24" full HD - 10k

Total 34.6k
Street prics should be lower & total cost will work around 33k. Further suggestions will help you decide how to fit the PC in your budget.

You can reduce
SMPS to FSP Saga II 400W @ 2k
gfx card to Radeon HD4670 @ 4K
& save 2k

If you go with HD4670, you can skip the SMPS & go with Bijli's built in SMPS. HD4670 is good for an HTPC and casual gaming. But performance in future is doubtable. HD5570 on the other hand is much more capable & is a DX11 card, so much better option.

---------- Post added at 05:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 AM ----------

For an HTPC, you can also buy a Logitech wireless combo @ 1.2k. Wireless Device will give you the freedom to operate the PC from your Sofa while watching a movie

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
I was not too sure of the price of HD5670. yeah, HD5670 is a better option if it fits in his budget. Also I was not sure about the power requirements of 5570, so wrote 500W SMPS. In any case, I think he should not go for a 350W SMPS as it would hamper upgradeability. I think FSP Saga II 400W @ 2k would be a good option.

---------- Post added at 10:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:54 AM ----------

This is the first time I posted the first reply in a question for a complete configuration. I always suggest later on. But Sam, you are the king of digit forum right now

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I was not too sure of the price of HD5670. yeah, HD5670 is a better option if it fits in his budget. Also I was not sure about the power requirements of 5570, so wrote 500W SMPS. In any case, I think he should not go for a 350W SMPS as it would hamper upgradeability. I think FSP Saga II 400W @ 2k would be a good option.

i mean to say, better FSP Saga II 350W than the bundled SMPS.

This is the first time I posted the first reply in a question for a complete configuration. I always suggest later on. But Sam, you are the king of digit forum right now

& save a good config. exception being wrong pricing of the card or say wrong card rite price.

no, nothing like that buddy. everyone gives their own views & opinions. some likes my config, some don't :razz:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Thanks Sam for the config. So should I go for 5670? And what SMPS?

yes, if you can include in budget, get it. for PSU, these are 2 options: FSP Saga II 400W or Gigabyte 460W. get any one of these.

Any other suggestions?

only suggestion: change motherboard to Biostar TA785G3 HD (better sound) & downgrade processor to Athlon II X4 630 (or 620).

wow, I spend 10 minutes writing a config for you and you thank sam for it!

:meditate:

hurricane25

Broken In
Ya.. and ensure you get Athlon ii x4 with the C3 revision. It will run cooler and will overclock better.

They will all be ADX...GM instead of ADX...GI serial.

OP
ashish1224

ashish1224

Broken In
@cool buddy, bear with me for my absent mindedness. Been too busy shifting my house these days. Thanks a lot for the config.

@sam, I am ok with 2.1 sound...

So guys I think this is the final config:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 635 with C3 revision - 5k
Gfx Card: ATI Radeon HD 5670 1 GB - 5.5k
Cabinet: Zebronics Bijli (without SMPS) - 1.2k
Speakers: Altec Lensing VS2421 - 2.2k

Is the price right for the graphics card?
And is Benq free of those regular lcd issues or does it at least have a good service?

Going to buy really soon from Nehru Place. I would like to sell the older pc there. Do you know any decent reseller who would buy the old stuff?

Any changes in the config?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@sam, I am ok with 2.1 sound...

So guys I think this is the final config:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 635 with C3 revision - 5k
Gfx Card: ATI Radeon HD 5670 1 GB - 5.5k
Cabinet: Zebronics Bijli (without SMPS) - 1.2k
Speakers: Altec Lensing VS2421 - 2.2k

Is the price right for the graphics card?
And is Benq free of those regular lcd issues or does it at least have a good service?

Going to buy really soon from Nehru Place. I would like to sell the older pc there. Do you know any decent reseller who would buy the old stuff?

Any changes in the config?

change the parts marked in bold.

1. X4 630 based on C3 revision. it'll b hard. C2 & C3 almost same. so get any X4 630. vendor will unnecessarily have an headache.

2. Biostar TA785G3 HD is much much better than the former one. opt for it. should cost 400 bucks more. worth every penny spend.

3. graphics card is HD5670 512Mb. go for Sapphire or Powercolor (hard to find, but excellent cooler) else XFX/MSI/Gigabyte, etc. 512Mb will cost 5.5k.

4. get FSP Saga II 400W. if unable get it try Seasonic 380W or Corsair CX400W (easily available).

OP
ashish1224

ashish1224

Broken In
Sure Sam. I will probably buy this config tomorrow...

How are the reviews of Benq 24" full HD?

Any resellers at Nehru Place?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Sure Sam. I will probably buy this config tomorrow...

How are the reviews of Benq 24" full HD?

Any resellers at Nehru Place?

here a few have brought Benq's 24" & are satisfied. as you'll be getting it personally, if possible check if it got any dead pixel in shop itself. so that it don't cause any problems lately.

rahul.007

bORn To RIse....
about resellers, i met 1 in a train journey :-D :)....

name:- asif
contact no:- 9708856801
name:- a&t computers or at computers

call him.... ask him the details....

Top Bottom