Help!!!!!!!!!!! Linux installation problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josan

Gangsta
I Hav got two linux distros with Linux Magazine ,,,Sabayon3.26 and VectorLinux5.8
when i tried to install Sabayon3.8 .1stly it says loading but after some time is says disk faliure ............I hav never used linux before Plz help me out

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Hi,

If your new to linux,
both vector linux and sabbayon may not be the best distro's for u.

Try using ubuntu.If u cant download it;u can register at shipit.ubuntu.com for free cd's.
Ubuntu is very user friendly and easy to install.

Regards...
ray

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^What exactly happens? When does the message arrive?

And if it is the first time as you say, then better go for a LIVE CD first like Knoppix. If you like it, then go ahead with the installation.

Personally I use OpenSuSE10.2 , but people say that Ubuntu is more user friendly for begginers. So you might like to try that.

Aditya

OP
Josan

Josan

Gangsta
Thanks u all , i have got no pro using linux,,, wat i dont kno is to install the linux ,
wat happens is
When i insert the Dvd in the drive and restart the system ,for some time it says Loading..........
but after some time it says that disk error........press any key to retry instalation..........as i never used linux before thats why i dont kno how it installs .....
plz help me

There could be many reasons for this error!
This is the error because when installater reading the disc and at certain point it'nt able to read or process the information due to faulty disc.

One could be due to currupted DVD ROM means faulty Burning of ISO image on DVD, Scratches on disc etc.(51% Chances)

Second reason for this prob could be "the lack of Device Driver of DVD Drive" means befor actual installation linux installs the driver for those hardware, which is it currently using like CDROM, DVD+-RW, Mouse, Keyboard etc, which is essential for installation. If the Distro has'nt the driver for ur DVD RW then this error will comes. (exception here, 'coz u did'nt pointed out any specific error). (49% chances)

Recomendation::: Download Mandriva 2007 full free version for first encounter. It is more stable distro than any other (except Redhat's butter), for ur first time R&D :idea: . This distro coming with inbuild 3D GUI (in competition with Microsoft Vista). SuSe 2007 is also good with the same features.

Pathik

Google Bot
if u hav a satble and fast internet connection then ubuntu6.10 is the distro for u... else get mandriva/fedora/open suse

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^ Does the CD come with an integrity check system? Then try checking it. If the CD does not pass the test then it is faulty.

OP
Josan

Josan

Gangsta
This Dvd works with LG Dvd(in live mode only) drive But not with Sony DVD writer(I have tried 2 DVD Drive)

I dont Kno why this works with LG but not with Sony

Is there is a link where can I find Ubuntu,or Knoppix, in compressed form because it would b difficult for me to download a full dvd from internet

Last edited:

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
@Josan... check my first post in this forum. You can get knoppix and Ubuntu at their sites, but, I don't think that there are any compressed isos available, as the isos themselves are compressed to quite an extent.

700MB iso of Knoppix CD extracts into 2GB live system, so even if you compress iso image, it would not make much difference. (At least practically...)

Aditya

OP
Josan

Josan

Gangsta
Again thanking you all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now I Came to know that there was a error in the new dvd of asbayon Linux.(when i just try to make a copy of this image with nero it says ,error reading disk ,)
this disk was a new one ,having no scratch but there was a dimm coloured inage just like a tatoo ,ithink that must be the reason to this problem.
It take me time to think that there can be a error in a new DVD that come with the Linux magazine!!!!!!!!!!
now i have other choice ,VectorLinux 5.8 that i got with the same Magazine!!!!
Surely It is not for the geekks ,but for a newbie like it will do

But still there is a ques. in my mind how can this same disk works well in LG but not in sony(in live mode only)
And how a disk with error worked in live mode but fails to mae full copy
(it can due to the fact that some part of the disk which was having live data can be in good condition!)

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
^^Might be possible that the section containing boot sector is fine....I mean, you have not tried all the programs have you? So, there might be a possibility.

And I have had many experiences with movie DVDs... they play fine, but always show some read error while copying.

Aditya

OP
Josan

Josan

Gangsta
yeah thats wat might have hapens in my case ,when i tried to open partition manager , it doesnt opens ,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom